Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Those four cities are poor choices. The only area in CT that makes any sense is around Windsor Locks and BDL. The one thing that area lacks is close public transportation, but that could be fixed with running buses between Amazon HQ and the new commuter rail in Windsor Locks.

This area also would draw a number of employees from southern Mass. If we included the Hartford and Springfield MSA's population would be over 1 million.

There's still a lot of open space by BDL, some of it tobacco farms, but those farms won't last forever.
Amazon picked Windsor for its warehouse for a reason. It is an ideal location. This area would be ideal for a HQ as well. Buses, airport and expanded Amtrak all in place as well as available land.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:59 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Amazon picked Windsor for a warehouse because the land & labor is cheap. Bright tech people don't want to live in or near Windsor. Amazon HQ2 is going to a real city like Boston.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:30 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Just thinking out loud here. I read last night that some analyst pretdicted the top five places. It was something like Boston, Dallas, Atlanta and I can't remember the other 2. If I were some of the those metros I would be having some of the sports teams owners involved. Not saying everyone is a sports fan but if Jerry Jones could add more incentives to come to an area like Dallas and team up with Amazon it would be a win-win all around. Unfortunately CT doesn't have that outside pull of some heavy hitter owners to lean on.

I commend CT for trying, but it's a long shot.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
Offer up our entire state work force, Even swap.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times
What a scam. Take a charge on your electric bill that goes towards helping homes and business with energy efficiency and divert it to the general fund. Behind Hawaii we pay the most expensive electrcity prices in the country.

Part of what ratepayers spend on monthly electric bills could soon change because of Connecticut’s budget problem.

Both the Republican and Democratic bills want to take part of what ratepayers pay toward the Clean Energy Fund, listed as Combined Benefit Charges under Delivery Fees and divert it to the general fund.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...3.html%3famp=y

Old 09-21-2017, 08:48 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
But are there 50k plus workers who are able bodied and able to work right now? That's how much the new HQ will house. I guarantee you that Amazon wants an area that has continuous population growth so Amazons new HQ can produce new workers out of that. Young people are fleeing in droves and Amazon doesn't want to be put in that environment where workers can't even reflect Amazons message of moving forward when CT can't even perform at a high standard. Sure, we have a good quality of life but that's in jeopardy. We're rich, but we're only rich because we maxed out our credit card and billions in debt. No company, especially the size of Amazon wants to be involved in that unless CT is capable of not only fixing mismanagement but, developing a healthy opportunity for growth. Neither of which CT will fix, at least in my lifetime. I guarantee you they're going to play it safe and move down south. GUARANTEE IT! $5 billion is on the table for this new HQ! My money is on Dallas, DC area, or Atlanta.
IMO Amazon is looking at a location with plenty of educated labor force, but also skilled in two distinct skills: IT and Supply Chain. CT has none of them.

Most cities don't have both. Boston doesn't. Chicago doesn't. Even NYC doesn't. Forget about Washington DC.

Atlanta kinda does, but not entirely -- it is relatively behind others on the IT side of things. Dallas area does. TX also has an appealing business climate.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
I agree that Atlanta would be far more appealing than CT to Amazon. (I also think it is stronger in IT than most people realize though I'm not an expert on the field so I defer to your take on that front.) It also has a great international airport, it's a major trucking hub, and has a good source of IT talent in Georgia Tech. It's a fast growing city- too fast some would say but so is Seattle- with a reasonable cost of living for a major metropolitan area. MARTA could definitely be better as a means of public transportation but it is no more limited than Seattle's light rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
IMO Amazon is looking at a location with plenty of educated labor force, but also skilled in two distinct skills: IT and Supply Chain. CT has none of them.

Most cities don't have both. Boston doesn't. Chicago doesn't. Even NYC doesn't. Forget about Washington DC.

Atlanta kinda does, but not entirely -- it is relatively behind others on the IT side of things. Dallas area does. TX also has an appealing business climate.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Quote:

I am thinking it is more and more likely they will end up in north TX.

Given their labor needs, their best logistical spot on the east coast might actually have been JC/Hoboken, but since they shuttered Quidsi, it seems illogical to re-stake their presence there

Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Apparently the state has 17 proposals to consider in the state. They need to whittle them down to a few. Will see. Jay

17 CT proposals in mix to be state's pick for Amazon site | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

I think people underestimate the amount of IT talent there is in our state. Hartford is home to several insurance companies and a very large aerospace/technology industry that relies on IT technology. Add in Fairfield County, New Haven and Groton, there is a lot of talent within an hour which is about what is common in other parts of the country. To say we have none is just wrong. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut