Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 07:59 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,028 times

Advertisements

Geoffd,

You say “It takes an enormous investment to educate the next generation out of poverty.”. The local and state government cannot “educate” people out of poverty. That is the same liberal fallacy that says more government can fix society’s problems. Government is the problem not the solution.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:47 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Geoffd,

You say “It takes an enormous investment to educate the next generation out of poverty.”. The local and state government cannot “educate” people out of poverty. That is the same liberal fallacy that says more government can fix society’s problems. Government is the problem not the solution.
It's true. The government has been throwing money at schools for decades but there is little, if any, evidence of progress. It's not that government is the problem, it's that there are no changes made in policy. If the disruptive kids were removed, by law, from the schools and educated, or at least taught how to behave, in special schools of some type, things would probably improve in the public schools.

Experiments have been done in other parts of the country by sending these impossible, out of control kids to "boot camps" where they learn respect and acceptable behavior. After they can sit and pay attention, learn civilized behavior, then they could actually start to learn school subjects. But by keeping them in the regular public school system, they never learn how to fit in, will never learn appropriate behavior for holding a job, and they drag the other kids down. Yes, the government could establish these "boot camps" within the public school systems rather than simply wasting money by throwing it at the public schools.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:02 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's true. The government has been throwing money at schools for decades but there is little, if any, evidence of progress. It's not that government is the problem, it's that there are no changes made in policy. If the disruptive kids were removed, by law, from the schools and educated, or at least taught how to behave, in special schools of some type, things would probably improve in the public schools.

Experiments have been done in other parts of the country by sending these impossible, out of control kids to "boot camps" where they learn respect and acceptable behavior. After they can sit and pay attention, learn civilized behavior, then they could actually start to learn school subjects. But by keeping them in the regular public school system, they never learn how to fit in, will never learn appropriate behavior for holding a job, and they drag the other kids down. Yes, the government could establish these "boot camps" within the public school systems rather than simply wasting money by throwing it at the public schools.
Sounds like you are saying they just need to allow paddles back in school so kids can get a good old fashion whooping

Old 10-01-2017, 10:05 AM

282 posts, read 232,630 times
"Median household income" is a term that gets bandied about a lot. This is a math term I think is getting confused. The median is the point at which half the numbers are below, and half the numbers are above. It's possible that NO ONE earns the median because of the nature of its definition. Also not all households have more than one wage earner. A family of 4 with 2 work-eligible adults earning $29k isn't going to find the same quality of life as a single person renting a walk-up studio earning the same amount but both of them are counted as households.

Example of median:

Household 1 = 2 adults, earning $250,000/year combined.
Household 2 = 2 adults, earning $50,000/year combined.
Household 3 = 1 adult earning $40,000
Household 4 = 3 adults, earning $25,000

The median would be $45,000

Household 1 = 3 adults earning $250,000/year combined.
Household 2 = 2 adults earning $50,000/year combined.
Household 4 = 2 adults, earning $25,000 combined.

The median would still be $45,000

As you can see, the household median, as a measurement of how a city's economy is doing, is a meaningless measurement.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:15 PM

4,448 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
"Median household income" is a term that gets bandied about a lot. This is a math term I think is getting confused. The median is the point at which half the numbers are below, and half the numbers are above. It's possible that NO ONE earns the median because of the nature of its definition. Also not all households have more than one wage earner. A family of 4 with 2 work-eligible adults earning $29k isn't going to find the same quality of life as a single person renting a walk-up studio earning the same amount but both of them are counted as households.

Example of median:

As you can see, the household median, as a measurement of how a city's economy is doing, is a meaningless measurement.
If you look right on this site for a particular town/city they have both the Median HH Income and the Per Capita Income. If you take both into account it gives you a pretty good idea of how each town/city is doing.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 AM

845 posts, read 679,672 times
I remember reading something about this earlier in the year. Can't remember when. Very shocking to see this town in such a position.

Scotland’s first selectman: ‘It’s raise taxes, dissolve the town, or go bankrupt’

If Windham County still have a functioning government and administered the school systems, the people of this town would be far better off than paying crazy high taxes. 81% of the budget for education? Come on. Hartford is in trouble, but I fear that Scotland will only be the first of many smaller, rural, town feeling the effect of Connecticut's poor economy.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:10 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Sounds like you are saying they just need to allow paddles back in school so kids can get a good old fashion whooping
Are you joking? I was a teacher and I witnessed what goes on in the public schools. Teachers get threatened and verbally (sometimes physically) abused on a daily basis. The good kids can't learn because the unruly kids hijack the class. The teacher can report this kids to the principal all they want but nothing is done.

There need to be consequences. They did finally remove one kid from the middle school where I taught (not one of my students) but in another month he was back and at his old tricks. These kids need help and they're not getting it. Teachers are supposed to teach but they can't and they don't have time to be life counselors for these thug-type kids.

A lot of the trouble makers never had any discipline in the home. That's why some places have experimented with a sort of "boot camp" where they learn how to act and there are good role models for them and decent adults for them to talk to about their issues. There has to be some way of dealing with them and making them fit to return to school, to learn, and to develop a work ethic so that some day they can become productive members of society. The one kid that I am alluding to didn't get much help and ended up becoming a drug dealer.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:55 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post

Example of median:

It's not the greatest but it's something. In my opinion it give a better picture then average household income.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:47 AM

504 posts, read 384,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
I remember reading something about this earlier in the year. Can't remember when. Very shocking to see this town in such a position.

Scotland’s first selectman: ‘It’s raise taxes, dissolve the town, or go bankrupt’

If Windham County still have a functioning government and administered the school systems, the people of this town would be far better off than paying crazy high taxes. 81% of the budget for education? Come on. Hartford is in trouble, but I fear that Scotland will only be the first of many smaller, rural, town feeling the effect of Connecticut's poor economy.
The problem is a lot of these towns always relied on state aid, and now that is in jeopardy. I wonder how many more towns are in trouble? Simply taxing your way out is not gonna work every year.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:53 AM

413 posts, read 317,131 times
The nuns at my grade school didn't use paddles, they hit us with rulers. Out of the 40 kids in my eight grade class, none of us dropped out of high school and about 75% ended up in college
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut