Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 PM

18 posts, read 54,206 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Thanks for the reply. What about Fairfield? Google maps tells me that Fairfield is closer than Ridgefield and the schools are also good.

I would also be open to Westchester if the property taxes are not outrageous. Any city in westchester with a property tax less than $10,000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 03:26 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,145,815 times
I have to agree with Stylo. Ridgefield is probably your best bet. If you go south to the train line, the nicer towns aren't going to have much to offer in your price range. Ridgefield offers good schools, and a reasonable commute to both work locations.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:29 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,145,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhairavii View Post
Hi all,
Thanks for the reply. What about Fairfield? Google maps tells me that Fairfield is closer than Ridgefield and the schools are also good.

I would also be open to Westchester if the property taxes are not outrageous. Any city in westchester with a property tax less than $10,000?
In Fairfield you would find a fairly nice home for $600K. It's a great town with a lot to do. However, I don't think the commute to Danbury on Route 7, or Route 33 would be particularly pleasant. It would pale in comparison, however, to the just plain awful commute on 95 to Rye on a daily basis. If the train were a serious option (and I don't think it is with the transfer), I would say go for it-- I love Fairfield. However, with the commute issues, I'd steer you back towards Ridgefield.

I don't think you're going to find the property tax you're looking for in Westchester.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Fairfield is out of the question for a Rye commute. 95/15 is brutal going to Rye. 684 is a breeze in comparison. Doesn't matter if it's a longer distance.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 23,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You can get a modest home in Ridgefield for that budget. If you don't mind a longer Rye commute, you could consider New Fairfield - which will be quite a bit cheaper than Ridgefield. It's an easy hop onto 684 from there for Rye.

There are also towns in NY that might be appropriate. Property taxes will be higher though.

New Fairfield is a good option. I used to go to Rye for work and there is a quick way from New Fairfield that will take you about 30-45 minutes and Danbury is a 10-15 depending on where he works.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
In Fairfield you would find a fairly nice home for $600K. It's a great town with a lot to do. However, I don't think the commute to Danbury on Route 7, or Route 33 would be particularly pleasant. It would pale in comparison, however, to the just plain awful commute on 95 to Rye on a daily basis. If the train were a serious option (and I don't think it is with the transfer), I would say go for it-- I love Fairfield. However, with the commute issues, I'd steer you back towards Ridgefield.

I don't think you're going to find the property tax you're looking for in Westchester.
Fairfield to Danbury isn't bad via 58. Nice back roads. It's the Rye commute that's horrible.

IF you can take the train, Fairfield could work. It IS a fantastic town.

To arrive to Rye via Fairfield, you would have to take the 7:52 AM train, which arrives at 8:37 AM. Parking at the Fairfield station can be tricky though. From Fairfield Metro, which has far more parking, it would be the same train but it originates at 7:49.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,234,372 times
Ridgefield if you could stretch the budget, New Fairfield otherwise. Those are really the only two towns I would consider based on your respective commutes. A Ridgefield to Danbury/New Fairfield to Danbury commute will be about the same; your commute to Rye, however, will be shorter coming from Ridgefield, but not significantly

Old 08-17-2013, 10:32 PM

34,960 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Hi all,

The problem about commuting to Rye or Danbury is that it is likely your jobs are not near mass transit. You need to check that. A commute to a suburban office building means you need a car. Some buildings do offer shuttles but you will need to check that before making any decisions.

Fairfield is a very nice town but it is a bit out of your way for a commute. It does have a train, but you would have to switch trains in Stamford so it will kind of be an involved commute each day. Also Danbury is about an hour drive from Fairfield and the roads are basically just two lanes (one in each direction) and not direct.

That said you would likely be best living between Rye and Danbury. Ridgefield and Wilton would be great choices. The problem with Westchester is that taxes can be high. You need to post on the Westchester board for suggestions on towns there. Jay

Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 AM

Danbury isn't an hour from Fairfield, under 45 minutes. At least from most parts. If it's far west Danbury, it could approach an hour. I used to drive to Fairfield from Brookfield all the time and it did not take more than 40 minutes.

Also, there are a couple trains from Fairfield to Rye that don't make a connection.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 PM

222 posts, read 413,970 times
Quote:
I am looking for something very close to NY, with a good school district and where the property tax and real estate is not outrageously expensive.

It would also be super great if someone could tell me about the availability of trains to Rye and the time it would take to commute from CT to Rye.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you want Ridgefield or Wilton. Stamford/Norwalk schools are not good and Greenwich, Darien, Westport, New Canaan out of budget (your top end is their low end).

If you want to use the train, tool around this link to the schedules:

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

Rye is a funny station, mostly need a local however there are 1-2 trains that seem to get there via express. For example, you can get from Westport or Fairfield to Rye in under an hour if you catch one of a few trains. Otherwise goes up to 80+ mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut