Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:21 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I was addressing the bolded/underlined portion above.
Still awaiting your reply to this.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 AM

642 posts, read 859,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecostimpy View Post
One of the reasons I moved to Trumbull was because I work in Stamford. Three people I work with (same department) also live in Trumbull. We all moved here within the past 5 years.

Not scientific data or anything, but thought it was relevant.
Thanks for the support on this Grecostimpy. I only know a lot of people in my area of Tashua/Upper Long Hill (Main Street area north of Town Hall). This is the area I am talking about when I say that all the people I know in Trumbull work down in Stamford and beyond to NYC. It seems like everyone I know from north Stamford that could not afford to buy a house has moved to Tashua/Upper Long Hill.

Grecostimpy do you live in my area or a different section of Trumbull?

Here is an important question relevant to this thread.....did you consider Newtown when making your decision where to buy a house seeing you need to commute to Stamford?

That would be intersting if you have that same impression/feeling even in other parts of town. I assumed that the people who live east of route 25 all work up in the greater Bridgeport area.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 AM

302 posts, read 295,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
Thanks for the support on this Grecostimpy. I only know a lot of people in my area of Tashua/Upper Long Hill (Main Street area north of Town Hall). This is the area I am talking about when I say that all the people I know in Trumbull work down in Stamford and beyond to NYC. It seems like everyone I know from north Stamford that could not afford to buy a house has moved to Tashua/Upper Long Hill.

Grecostimpy do you live in my area or a different section of Trumbull?

Here is an important question relevant to this thread.....did you consider Newtown when making your decision where to buy a house seeing you need to commute to Stamford?

That would be intersting if you have that same impression/feeling even in other parts of town. I assumed that the people who live east of route 25 all work up in the greater Bridgeport area.

I live in the Daniel's Farm section of Trumbull...in a subdivision just before the firehouse off of Daniel's Farm Road. So still pretty north. But I guess that would also be East of 25. Large lots and nice, quiet neighborhood.

We briefly looked at Newtown, but quickly realized that commuting to Stamford would be a bit of a stretch. It is lovely up in Newtown though.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
That's intersting that you want me to believe your data when it proves your point but you don't believe mine.

You finally admitted it! Trumbull does not have those kind of sketchy areas like Fairfield near the border of Bridgeport and that is the point.

Now to bring this thread full circle to tell the original poster why I personally like Trumbull better than Newtown.

I waned to have good access to Stamford and beyond to NYC. I know the people in my area of Tashua/Upper Long Hill Trumbull want that also. Newtown is simply too far to have good access to Stamford and NYC. If you are going up the coastline from Stamford all the towns (except Norwalk) are cost prohibitive. The first towns that are affordable are Fairfield--Trumbull--Monroe--Newtown.

I did not want to live in Fairfield east of North Bensen Road and the Black Rock Turnpike as it was too close to Bridgeport for me. West of those roads is too expensive. Monroe and Newtown were too far out for me to have a decent commute to Stamford/NYC so I wanted to live (and I am very happy with that decision) of Upper Long Hill/Tashua. Upper Long Hill/Tashua is far enough from Bridgeport, is a very good area with very good schools. I have the option of taking the train in Fairfield or driving into NYC via the Merrit Parkway which I like much better than the thruway. I personally would be bored to death living in Newtown if I could not hop on a train (or drive) frequently and get into NYC.
My data is fact. Your data is an opinion.

The areas I mentioned in Fairfield are far from sketchy. They are safe but modest neighborhoods. Not everyone can afford a big house in an upscale area but that does not mean you should turn your nose up at them. All of the Bridgeport neighborhoods bordering Fairfield, Black Rock, Brooklawn and the North End are nice. So you "fear" of living near Bridgeport is unwarranted. It is a shame you don't know the neighborhoods in Fairfield east of North Benson Road, they are all very nice and as nicer or nicer than many in Trumbull.

I never questioned that more people from Stamford moving to Trumbull but am unsure why the fact that most people in Trumbull work in Bridgeport bothers you so. Do you even know Bridgeport? Do you ever go there? It may not be as upscale as Stamford but it is hardly as scary as you make out. It is a city and like any city it has its good parts and its bad. Jay

Old 03-10-2014, 10:16 AM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Fairfield has no sketchy areas. Let's stop these conjectures. Sure, some areas like Commerce Drive and Route 1 toward the Bridgeport border look a bit industrial and aren't beautiful, but they are perfectly safe.

Trumbull and Fairfield have identical crime levels, despite Fairfield being much more populous and having far more commercial draw. Explain that if these areas are so "sketchy"?

Old 03-10-2014, 03:51 PM

287 posts, read 623,728 times
I realize this statement might be a bit controversial - and is definitely an opinion and not fact - but I notice that most people who I know that live in Trumbull have an inferiority complex to those in Fairfield. Certainly there are wonderful people who love Trumbull and wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but many of those that I have met in person, and also on these boards, seem to like to bring Fairfield, and other towns like it, down, to bring Trumbull up.

While Trumbull might not have any neighborhoods like Tunxis Hill, it also doesn't have any neighborhoods like Southport or Greenfield Hill, the real "Wall Street" neighborhoods, so to speak. Quite frankly, nothing in Trumbull even comes close to the same level as Southport, in terms of charm or in terms of the occupational prestige of its residents. Because of this close association to the western neighborhoods, the eastern neighborhoods of Fairfield have access to certain amenities and intellectual prowess of residents that is really missing in Trumbull. This, in turn, leads to a better experience in the schools.

That said, Brooklawn and Stratfield are great, great, great neighborhoods and far more attractive and just as safe, if not safer, than anything in Trumbull, so I don't know what your problem is, but I am happy for everyone that loves where they live.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
While Trumbull might not have any neighborhoods like Tunxis Hill.
I'd rather live in Tunxis Hill than live on Old Town/Reservoir/McAdoo/Lansing/Horseshoe/etc. in Trumbull.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:06 PM

302 posts, read 295,985 times
No putting down other neighborhoods here. Each are unique and have their positive qualities. Trumbull worked out well for our family in the end, though there are many wonderful neighborhoods all around it.

We feel fortunate to live in an area that is close to the ferry (my mom lives on Long Island) and main highways (in-laws live in Westchester). But most of all we feel at home.

We moved from Scarsdale to Trumbull and wanted to get away from the snooty people who live just to flaunt what they've got. I feel we found a nice neighborhood that we feel comfortable living in. Not everyone is looking for high class......just class. ;-)

That being said, I'm sure we would be just as happy in any of the surrounding towns. We are loving CT so far!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:01 PM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
You guys, there's just waaaaay too much discussion about Fairfield, BPT, and what not in this topic. Trumbull is getting its fair share of discussion, that's cool with me, but focus more on Newtown, please.

I believe someone said Westchester is easier to approach from Trumbull than Newtown. I'm gonna say no. I-84 will get you there faster than taking Merritt or I-95. As for NYC, well, downtown Manhattan is nearly the same amount of time according to Google maps, but, I'm willing to bet there's more traffic on I-95 at any given point than I-84 considering how there's more cities and folks crossing through and living in Southwest CT (Norwalk, Stamford, and New Haven).

NYC isn't really a big issue in my eye. They're roughly the same distance. Perhaps if you take the train, things might change, but, I would never imagine commuting from Newtown or Trumbull to NYC. That's 3 hours minimum in commuting.

I do agree that Trumbull is better connected to the Gold Coast of Connecticut, thanks to Merritt. I'll give you that. Newtown benefits largely from having one of the best malls in CT (Perhaps the best?) in Danbury for shopping amenities. The thing is, I know some people that will travel from Monroe or Trumbull to Danbury mall, but, I never hear people from Newtown having a need to go down shopping in Fairfield or Westport. Not saying it doesn't happen, but, I'm willing to bet the converse is more common.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
You guys, there's just waaaaay too much discussion about Fairfield, BPT, and what not in this topic.
Sorry about your thread, but honestly, the boat has sailed on it. You can always request that a mod just shut it down....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut