Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 03:44 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
... Why are you defensive on this?

I actually don't drink. I do care about any unnecessary death-- Child or adult. The better question, might be, why don't you?
I think it's obvious at this point that gun control is an issue that I feel very strongly about. Maybe if we had a discussion on marriage law and I used stats citing Catholic Church and AIDS death to make my point along with the laws created by desert dwelling sister f*&((g hicks in Arizona who know absolutely nothing about the issue you would get it.

The reason I'm not vocal about alcohol other than to use it as an example of the "public safety" hypocrisy is because I think we already have plenty of laws on the books to manage. Some people need to make mistakes in life and learn from them. I fundamentally don't believe the government knows what's best for you and that as a free man you should be able to make the decision to drink all by your big boy self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 PM

132 posts, read 149,497 times
Did they really need a "study" to find out that there are more gun related deaths where there are more guns?

They should do a study to see if there are more snowmobiling deaths in Maine compared to Florida.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:41 PM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
I have to say that mlassoff is one of the few people I've read on the internet with that I agree.

I don't see a point of owning weapons, and this is coming from someone who has family in the military, grew up fascinated with military technology around the world, and have shot several firearms in the past. Unfortunately, guns are just too ingrained in this culture and add 200+ years of that for it to every be ridden of in this country. Ideally, if people wanted to try out firearms, it'd be nice if guns were confined to gun ranges in an alternate dimension, but, we're not so ideal. Other than the 2nd amendment, what other reason do you have of owning a gun? Self defense? THere are places in this world with crime rates worse than Detroit, yet manage without guns. Unfortunately, we're at a point where a robber has an equal chance of carrying a firearm compared to our European counterparts where most robbery happens at knife points. I feel like we're stuck in a loop, and unless something super drastic happens, guns are here to stay.

The thing is, a gun doesn't have any other purpose but to kill (or wounding atleast). Whether a human or an animal, all a gun can do is kill. There are NO other uses for it.

People are hellbent on the 2nd amendment, yet can't recall the 3rd-10th. They'll agree with laws and rules (Fox News being the culprit, smh) people think that should be passed without realizing they are breaking the Bill of Rights.

My least favorite argument is that of defending ourselves in case our government turns on us or if a foreign country invades us. LOL! That's hilarious. I wanna see an AR-15 take down a MQ-9 from the sky. That'll be the day.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:05 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I do care about any unnecessary death-- Child or adult.
Are you out there marching against swimming pools? They kill way more kids than guns do.

Op-ed piece on swimming pools vs. guns as the most dangerous weapon – Deltoid

Quote:
... on average, if you both own a gun and have a swimming pool in the backyard, the swimming pool is about 100 times more likely to kill a child than the gun is.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:09 PM

363 posts, read 635,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
I have to say that mlassoff is one of the few people I've read on the internet with that I agree.

I don't see a point of owning weapons, and this is coming from someone who has family in the military, grew up fascinated with military technology around the world, and have shot several firearms in the past. Unfortunately, guns are just too ingrained in this culture and add 200+ years of that for it to every be ridden of in this country. Ideally, if people wanted to try out firearms, it'd be nice if guns were confined to gun ranges in an alternate dimension, but, we're not so ideal. Other than the 2nd amendment, what other reason do you have of owning a gun? Self defense? THere are places in this world with crime rates worse than Detroit, yet manage without guns. Unfortunately, we're at a point where a robber has an equal chance of carrying a firearm compared to our European counterparts where most robbery happens at knife points. I feel like we're stuck in a loop, and unless something super drastic happens, guns are here to stay.

The thing is, a gun doesn't have any other purpose but to kill (or wounding atleast). Whether a human or an animal, all a gun can do is kill. There are NO other uses for it.

People are hellbent on the 2nd amendment, yet can't recall the 3rd-10th. They'll agree with laws and rules (Fox News being the culprit, smh) people think that should be passed without realizing they are breaking the Bill of Rights.

My least favorite argument is that of defending ourselves in case our government turns on us or if a foreign country invades us. LOL! That's hilarious. I wanna see an AR-15 take down a MQ-9 from the sky. That'll be the day.
In case you forgot, you live in America where people are free to have hobbies that you may not agree with. You don't see the need to own a firearm so case closed? Get over yourself. There are many more reasons to own a firearm than self defense such as the skill it takes to shoot a target that's 3/4 of a mile away, it's fun to blow off some stress, and ohhh I forgot the last one...just cause I f'ing want to.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:12 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
The thing is, a gun doesn't have any other purpose but to kill (or wounding atleast). Whether a human or an animal, all a gun can do is kill.
I haven't killed anybody. I have punched thousands of holes through paper, however. And, like any hobby, it's satisfying to have a skill that you can develop by working at it.

But, you don't care about that, because ... guns are icky.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 PM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
Lol. Sheesh. What's with the anger? Chill. <_<

In case you forgot as well, FILF, people in other countries are free to have hobbies, too. America isn't anything special in that regards. In fact, we're not the most "free" country in this world, so you know. So much for an amendment more important than the 2nd, the 1st. :/

Ideally speaking, I'm not saying guns should be completely out. I think they should be closed off to gun ranges only or something of that sort. But, America is far too ingrained with gun culture for that to happen. I said guns are here to stay. Did anyone properly read my message?

HeadedWest, let's not assume. Guns are icky? What's that supposed to mean? lol!

Anyways, I wanna ask. The 2nd amendment mentions a well regulated militia. What does that mean to you guys? I feel like we're cherry picking the 2nd amendment. Take things we want from it and disregard the other phrases. And please, be nice in your response. No need for name calling, accusations, and vulgar language. I hope Connecticut public education taught you better than that (if you grew up here!)

Old 03-19-2014, 07:57 PM

442 posts, read 456,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
Just because it's a law does not make it right .... If they make a law tomorrow = All first born must be Euthanize, Im not going along with it, ya but it's the law....

Just because we go to war with a Country and win'''' doesn't mean we are right, we are the winners there for we must be right... It's a USA mentality thing...
Euthanize: quoted from Merriam Webtster's dictionary: "the act or practice of killing someone who is very sick or injured in order to prevent any more suffering"

You consider all first born children to be "very sick or injured" for the sake of being firstborns? Great start.

Who would make that law tomorrow? In what democratic country?

War and euthanasia? USA? Really?

Go back to your bridge, troll.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 PM

415 posts, read 764,730 times
Guns are for 1 thing, killing you say... so no gun has ever been used to defend human life... no cop has ever stopped a possible murder by wielding his or her gun and just by pointing it at a perp'' stopped a murder, thats funny, all police, ATF, DEA, IRS, NSA, BORDER PATROL, CUSTOMS AGENTS, Carry guns to kill people... they should give up their guns, and after they all do I will to , Deal ??

Old 03-19-2014, 08:07 PM

415 posts, read 764,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Euthanize: quoted from Merriam Webtster's dictionary: "the act or practice of killing someone who is very sick or injured in order to prevent any more suffering"

You consider all first born children to be "very sick or injured" for the sake of being firstborns? Great start.

Who would make that law tomorrow? In what democratic country?

War and euthanasia? USA? Really?

Go back to your bridge, troll.
easy there slave, get back in line, you puppet....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut