Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:07 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times

Advertisements

About time. Now lets fix I-84 through downtown hartford, get rid of those ridiculous traffic lights on route 9 with a proper overpass to route 66(which should bypass downtown and dump out near Wesleyan avoiding all that traffic, which would actually make downtown MORE attractive), and fix I-91 S through downtown hartford(it goes down to 2 lanes backing traffic up all the way to almost the airport every afternoon)

Oh and one other thing. Building highways doesn't mean increased congestion. The proper way to control that is with proper rural planning. Restrict land from being subdivided to stop people from going farther and farther once road capacity is increased.

This is clearly not a capacity increase anyway. Simply a removal of a bottleneck.

Last edited by mikelizard860; 04-19-2014 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 04:40 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry but I do not agree. Other states do the same thing. Connecticut is no different. Jay
CT is far slower to add transportation infrastructure than almost any state outside the northeastern corner.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
CT is far slower to add transportation infrastructure than almost any state outside the northeastern corner.
No question about that

Old 02-18-2015, 08:23 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
This is very interesting and frankly should be covered by more outlets.Malloy's Transportation Plan Includes Upgrades, Longer Busway - Hartford Courant

I work in this industry (heavy highway/bridge) and I could tell you right now it's dried up as far as large projects. Lucky the company I work for has a ton of work in the south, but I don't want to leave CT. Some small projects are being bid, but hiring is almost nill. If half of the projects proposed actually break ground it would be an awesome win for CT. I could see some real positive change if this gets past.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:37 AM

684 posts, read 812,556 times
Bidding goes out to only the unions? Ouch ....

Anyways, its good to see CT repairing and fixing what they need.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:25 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Bidding goes out to only the unions? Ouch ....

Anyways, its good to see CT repairing and fixing what they need.
Where does it say only unions? Bidding in CT is lowest responsive bidder (most cases) union or non-union. We all pay the same union wages no matter what.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:06 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Malloy is proposing a $100 billion transportation improvement program over the next 30 years. IT involves making major improvements to highways and mass-transit. Some of the more interesting projects include widening I-95 from Bridgeport to Stamford, widening I-84 in Danbury, building a third tunnel on the Wilbur Cross Parkway in New Haven so they can repair the two existing tunnels, extending the Fasttrak busway from Hartford to Manchester, completing the Route 7/15 interchange in Norwalk, improving the I-91/Charter Oak Bridge interchange in Hartford, straightening the curves on I-84 in West Hartford, widening I-95 from Old Saybrook to Groton and upgrading the Waterbury line. It is a lofty goal and relies heavily on what Congress does or does not do in the next few months.

I know that CTDOT has been increasing staff in anticipation of this massive transportation initiative. IT will take years of planning and design before actual construction can begin but it does look promising. Now just how we will pay for all this is a different story. Jay

Malloy's Transportation Plan Includes Upgrades, Longer Busway - Hartford Courant

Old 02-18-2015, 03:47 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,504 times
I'd be willing to bet everything that AT BEST, 25% of this will come to fruition.

Look at what the state has accomplished in the past 30 years in terms of transportation. Very little, aside from HOV in the Hartford suburbs.

What really cracked me up was "Studying ways to improve Route 9 traffic flow in Middletown". Gee, I dunno...perhaps ELIMINATING THE FRIGGIN' TRAFFIC SIGNALS might help a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Malloy is proposing a $100 billion transportation improvement program over the next 30 years. IT involves making major improvements to highways and mass-transit. Some of the more interesting projects include widening I-95 from Bridgeport to Stamford, widening I-84 in Danbury, building a third tunnel on the Wilbur Cross Parkway in New Haven so they can repair the two existing tunnels, extending the Fasttrak busway from Hartford to Manchester, completing the Route 7/15 interchange in Norwalk, improving the I-91/Charter Oak Bridge interchange in Hartford, straightening the curves on I-84 in West Hartford, widening I-95 from Old Saybrook to Groton and upgrading the Waterbury line. It is a lofty goal and relies heavily on what Congress does or does not do in the next few months.

I know that CTDOT has been increasing staff in anticipation of this massive transportation initiative. IT will take years of planning and design before actual construction can begin but it does look promising. Now just how we will pay for all this is a different story. Jay

Malloy's Transportation Plan Includes Upgrades, Longer Busway - Hartford Courant

Old 02-18-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post

What really cracked me up was "Studying ways to improve Route 9 traffic flow in Middletown". Gee, I dunno...perhaps ELIMINATING THE FRIGGIN' TRAFFIC SIGNALS might help a bit
Yeah really. Common sense. Stupid downtown business association doesn't realize that less congestion in the area would actually make it more likely and convenient for people to GET TO middletown rather than sitting in a traffic jam on route 9.

Make a exit off of route 9 that does a fly over to connect to route 66 near wesleyan.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:14 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
I posted this in another thread but i think its just as vital to post it here as well.
Connecticut is one of the only states where the economy has improved since pre-recession levels. Much of the middle class is in disgust with how this state is being run because of high taxes and dishonesty within our own government. I do think 2015 would be a great year for Connecticut. The governor has proposed some good things for our state and even though it has some negativity. You cant seem to please the people of Connecticut anymore because we've been lied too and beat to the bush. I watched the governors budget address today and I liked some of the things he mentioned. One of them was lowering sales tax which is one of the states largest revenue gainers and eliminating the unpopular business entity tax. He is also calling for a 30 year transportation plan which includes widen Interstate 95, replacing the Hartford viaduct, and fixing the Waterbury mixmaster, just to name a few. I dont think its necessary to widen all of Interstate 95. I think its too complex and will cost too much money. Widening Interstate 95 from Stamford to New Haven seems more reasonable. In my opinion, i think the state should lower the car tax and gas tax while adding tolls on Interstate 95 in Greenwich and Stonington, Interstate 91 in Enfield, and Interstate 84 in Danbury and Union. Connecticut residents would pay less in toll fees than residents out of the state because Virginia, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey drivers combined make up more highway drivers than in state drivers alone. Connecticut is the heart of the northeastern market and if you want to drive to anywhere in New England from the south, you HAVE to drive through Connecticut. Have them pay for it. Its unfair for us to pay tolls in MA and NY so why not here. Its one of the reasons why we have so much traffic. Out of the state drivers are driving through here because they dont want to pay to use the highway. When im talking about tolls, im not talking about the stop and pay tolls. Im talking about the electronic tolls that you see in New Hampshire and other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut