Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 04:40 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times

Advertisements

On the Merritt it is often difficult to drive in any lane during rush hour. The right lane is overburdened with traffic entering and exiting. Your best bet is to go with the flow in the left lane as the right lane is too slow and dangerous unless you are entering or exiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 05:01 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
OK, so you are implying then that it is OK then to inconvenience EVERYONE behind you.

Righttttt. That's just lovely

This has nothing to do with the tax situation in CT (which I agree is totally out of control). It has everything to do with being COURTEOUS to others on the road. Maybe, just maybe, enforcing this by issuing tickets, might be a good way to deter others from being so selfish.

Got it??
No, I don't "got it". If I wanted officials to dish out a multihundred dollar fine every time someone annoys me, inconveniences me, or is not courteous, the entire standing US military including the National Guard would be needed to enforce my ego.

IMO the police should have wayyyy more important things to do with their time than to deal with the fact that you don't like that someone is only doing 75 in a 65. Get over it. Honestly, I have never even heard of this nonsense being talked about. Never once have I been driving behind some ahole in the left lane going slower than I would like and say "i hope that guy gets a ticket for driving in the left lane". You gotta be kidding me? Keep face palming yourself and maybe things will start to make more sense.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:10 PM

12 posts, read 12,637 times
Just saying, Chris Christie and NJ Lawmakers passed a bill last year where left lane hogs get a $225 fine and points on license. That is worse than speeding in NJ!

Old 04-27-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piesquared View Post
Just saying, Chris Christie and NJ Lawmakers passed a bill last year where left lane hogs get a $225 fine and points on license. That is worse than speeding in NJ!
Conveniently, Chris Christie doesn't have to worry about "traveling in the left lane" because no car he could fit in could go fast enough to pass a car on the right in the first place. About as ironic as obama drafting gun legislation in a bullet proof limo.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 PM

334 posts, read 438,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piesquared View Post
Don't assume it is enforced though. I'm sick and tired of N.Y. state drivers' keeping slow in left lane despite honking or flashing lights on them! Once a car pulled down the window and pointed the finger on me, then when I passed him and took over left lane he flashed lights on me trying to blind me at night

Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM

363 posts, read 635,639 times
Are you still considered a left lane hog if your constantly passing other cars? I get on the highway swoop to the left lane and stay there. My average speed is 80-90 so I can pretty much guarantee there aren't a whole bunch of people on my ass trying to get around me. I would think my constant lane switching when not passing cars would be more dangerous.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:39 PM

163 posts, read 240,747 times
If you're posting your traveling speed as a justification for being in the left lane, then you do not understand how the lanes are supposed to work in the first place.

Be polite, keep to the right. I know it was taught in kindergarten for walking in the halls, but it really applies to movement in general.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
I would think my constant lane switching when not passing cars would be more dangerous.
Don't let sense and reason get in the way of your argument.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what CT needs, more laws and fines.
We already have it on the books, as it should be:
Sec. 14-230. Driving in right-hand lane. (a) Upon all highways, each vehicle, other than a vehicle described in subsection (c) of this section, shall be driven upon the right, except (1) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (2) when overtaking and passing pedestrians, parked vehicles, animals or obstructions on the right side of the highway, (3) when the right side of a highway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair, (4) on a highway divided into three or more marked lanes for traffic, or (5) on a highway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.
(d) Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:04 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,671 times
Only if they start issuing infractions of $1000+ for every highspeed agressive tailgator who refuses to acknowledge what would happen in a highspeed accident is the tailgators fault!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut