Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:00 AM

15 posts, read 25,918 times

Advertisements

My bf is in the army and is getting re-stationed to Middletown, CT. I have done extensive research on towns close by, but I want to get some personal recommendations/opinions. We are looking for a town to live in that is very safe (I am home alone at times), has outdoor shopping (cute downtown area preferably), is close to many restaurants and stores (longhorn, applebees, target, super walmart, five guys burgers, and cvs are some stores I would like within 15-20 minutes from us). Jobs is also important, as I will not have a job once I move there. Right now I am an office manager at a doctor's office, but I am flexible in what I am searching for, just want to have a good deal of opportunities within 30 minutes. I do like areas where there are new buildings (but not a deal breaker) and has nice appeal. I want the shopping/restaurants that are close by to also be in a safe area. I am hoping to find an area that the traffic is not crazy all the time. We are looking to rent, prefer a house, but will look into townhomes, under 1800, so looking for an affordable town, with nice rentals (would like information on realtors in the area that handle rentals as well). I am not a city person so that does not matter to me. I would like to have things to do close by though within approx. 30 minutes (especially shopping). We would like to be within 45 minutes to Middletown (his work is off smith street right off 91) with a nice commute to and from there. We would prefer to go a little more south as we have family in NJ and PA and want to be closer to them!

I been looking at Wallingford, North Haven, Milford, and Chesire. Opinions and feedback on these places?

Places we should stay away from?

Thank you!!!

Last edited by x3onexolove; 02-04-2014 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,963,796 times
Welcome to the area.

You could try Middletown itself - they have a small walkable downtown with some shopping and a lot of nice restaurants.

Not sure about North Haven in terms of a downtown, though I know they have a good amount of shopping (Universal Drive) and it is a safe town. Cheshire is more suburban/rural than Wallingford, Milford or North Haven, but is very safe overall. Also, not sure about how expansive the downtown is in Cheshire, but I think I recall it being more New England small town in terms of having a town hall, post office, a few churches, etc.

Wallingford has a cute downtown and is a safe town. Welcome to Downtown Wallingford. Wallingford Center Inc.

Milford is a small city and has a lot of amenities, including a shopping mall. Here is some info on the downtown area:
Welcome to Downtown Milford | Milford, Connecticut (CT) | Downtown Preservation | Business Association |

Old 02-04-2014, 08:18 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
Middletown itself would be fine for you. It's a college town, so there is a lot of life going on there. Check out craigslist to get an idea of housing costs. Know that utilities are expensive here. Make sure you leave plenty of room in your budget to cover them.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,016 times
Howdy,

First off, tell your boyfriend sigequinox says "thank you" for his service! and equally important, thank you, for being supportive of your BF. Military spouses are completely under appreciated IMO, because they too sacrifice a lot for their country.

Anyway, this is the area we got our start in CT. There are a ton of apartments and condos (some nicer than others but all pretty decent)on West Lake Drive in Middletown town at the Berlin town line. Most of middletown is run down, kind of beat for our tastes, but the downtown is fun (and nice). The area mentioned above is very nice, very safe, and like 5 minutes from the military base.

Your also fewer than 5 minutes from route 9 or the 91. Your about 10 minutes from downtown middletown, 20 minutes from the Farmington mall, 30 minutes from New Haven (jobs), 30 minutes from Hartford(more jobs), 45-1hr from Bridgeport. It is a very convenient place to live. Plenty of great food between Berlin and downtown Middletown all within 10 minutes.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:36 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Milford is great but a little further than you need to be. It's in the center of a lot of jobs though.

The other towns you listed are not much for downtowns.

I'd stick to Middletown. An alternate that's walkable and convenient would be East Rock in New Haven. It's a very safe area that's full of young professionals and students.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 AM

15 posts, read 25,918 times
I should say the downtown area is not a big dealbreaker. I acually prefer a small little downtown like Wallingford has. I also do not even need it, as long as there is plenty of shopping and restaurants close by. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
All the downtowns are small. Middletown's just has more variety and activity.

The only big, vibrant downtown in the area is New Haven. East Rock has its own quaint shops and restaurants and is near the mini-downtowns that are Upper State Street and Audubon Arts District.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,963,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3onexolove View Post
I should say the downtown area is not a big dealbreaker. I acually prefer a small little downtown like Wallingford has. I also do not even need it, as long as there is plenty of shopping and restaurants close by. Thanks!
Wallingford and North Haven both have plenty of restaurants, but not always in the downtown area. Wallingford has a lot on Route 5, while North Haven has them around Universal Drive. Conn. towns are often fairly small, so it's not like you'd be driving 30+ minutes to get across town.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM

1,930 posts, read 2,041,717 times
I would just live in Middletown itself. Specifically in one of the neighborhoods on West Lake. You will have easy access to Meriden, Wallingford, the Berlin Tpke retail area, and the downtown section of Middletown.

I lived on West Lake by myself (mid 20s at the time, female) and never felt unsafe.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,109 times
I live in a subdivision in the Westlake section of Middletown, have great neighbors, and always feel safe. The location is convenient to shopping and highways, and it's easy to go downtown to enjoy the numerous restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut