Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My younger brother is 27 years old and bought his first house when he was 25, in Windsor Locks. However, he cheated and bought a house that was priced at only $92K. I would never want to live in his house, personally, because I'm a high standards *****.
How is that cheating? I bought a house for well below value of my town. It needed work and some care but I fixed it up and absolutely love it. It's not cheating if you get a good deal. cT is not filled with only multi million dollars homes there are plenty great starter homes. I live on an acre of land in central connecticut. IMO you cannot get any better.

High standards and realistic standards are too different things and maybe your high standards are keeping you from truly being happy in your current living situation.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
I personally don't think it's unusual for young people to want to leave the area they grew up in. I left Brooklyn when I was 24 and never looked back. I still love it there though, visit often, and it will always be my "home." But it's not the place I wanted to live my life. I think you should go now, while you're still youngish and not too set in your ways.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:56 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,366 times
Southern CT I am sure is more densely populated and more expensive, probably cheaper housing the further north you go but the taxes are still a problem in CT and the economy very bad, it's shame CT is a such a beautiful state with some nice mountains and picturesque scenery and has some history to it, hopefully the people will elect the right politicians and fix up CT.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:56 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I personally don't think it's unusual for young people to want to leave the area they grew up in. I left Brooklyn when I was 24 and never looked back. I still love it there though, visit often, and it will always be my "home." But it's not the place I wanted to live my life. I think you should go now, while you're still youngish and not too set in your ways.
I think Nep would be best living as a Nomad. We should chip in and get him a spear (gold and diamond studded of course), a modest mobile home (with an xbox inside), and designer hiking boots...and a boy toy. Then he can scour the planet, never be bored, and hook up all the while looking fabulous while doing it?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:00 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
LOL! That is awesome = )

Old 07-06-2014, 09:24 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I think Nep would be best living as a Nomad. We should chip in and get him a spear (gold and diamond studded of course), a modest mobile home (with an xbox inside), and designer hiking boots...and a boy toy. Then he can scour the planet, never be bored, and hook up all the while looking fabulous while doing it?
Sounds great, but can you please give me a Wii U instead of an Xbox?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
Southern CT I am sure is more densely populated and more expensive, probably cheaper housing the further north you go but the taxes are still a problem in CT and the economy very bad, it's shame CT is a such a beautiful state with some nice mountains and picturesque scenery and has some history to it, hopefully the people will elect the right politicians and fix up CT.
Honestly, once you see it out west, CT isn't beautiful at all. I know, I know....that sounds weird to everyone reading this, but it's true. It totally changed my perspective on CT scenery and now I don't even really consider it a beautiful state. Now it just looks like bland green trees ALL over the place, with barely any interesting terrain whatsoever. The entire eastern U.S. is like this, actually. However, I will say that the unique charm/scenery offered by CT is the wide assortment of small town centers. But I can't stand the compactness. Now, after being out west, CT feels extremely claustrophobic, compact, slow-driving and limiting.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:41 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,972 times
I'm not a resident of Connecticut yet but I'm trying to become one. If this helps you here's what I did over the holiday weekend in Virginia, and I live in a small Virginia farm town, Manhattan it's not.

Friday we grilled out, lit our own fireworks, and relaxed as a family.

Saturday we went to the lake and swam for a couple hours, then stopped at Lowes cause the wife wanted a wall mounted shelf in the kitchen for extra storage space.

Sunday I installed the new shelf in the morning, then loaded up the race bike and headed to Richmond for an afternoon race at Richmond BMX.

After the race we stopped at Farm Fresh and got some of the best fried chicken you could possibly ever have.

We also snapped photos of urban Richmond and stopped at Sonic's for some slushies, I tried the blue coconut, it wasn't bad.

Perhaps you're bored cause you don't have a wife and kids? Or perhaps husband and kids?

All joking aside life is what you make it. I would be just as entertained in Connecticut as I am here in Virginia. I create my own fun, none of which is high priced, well racing can get expensive but the expense does not come all at once.

The reason why I have an interest in moving back up north is because it is where I was born and raised, I got 25 years left to work, I raised my boys, got them about out of high school as graduates, and I just want to go home now.

I also have family there, besides my wife and children, there are no other family in Virginia.

If I do decide to call Connecticut home please tell me there is at least one place that sells good fried chicken.

I can sacrifice many things, good fried chicken with a nice potato salad is not something I'm willing to let go of.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I'm not a resident of Connecticut yet but I'm trying to become one. If this helps you here's what I did over the holiday weekend in Virginia, and I live in a small Virginia farm town, Manhattan it's not.

Friday we grilled out, lit our own fireworks, and relaxed as a family.

Saturday we went to the lake and swam for a couple hours, then stopped at Lowes cause the wife wanted a wall mounted shelf in the kitchen for extra storage space.

Sunday I installed the new shelf in the morning, then loaded up the race bike and headed to Richmond for an afternoon race at Richmond BMX.

After the race we stopped at Farm Fresh and got some of the best fried chicken you could possibly ever have.

We also snapped photos of urban Richmond and stopped at Sonic's for some slushies, I tried the blue coconut, it wasn't bad.

Perhaps you're bored cause you don't have a wife and kids? Or perhaps husband and kids?

All joking aside life is what you make it. I would be just as entertained in Connecticut as I am here in Virginia. I create my own fun, none of which is high priced, well racing can get expensive but the expense does not come all at once.

The reason why I have an interest in moving back up north is because it is where I was born and raised, I got 25 years left to work, I raised my boys, got them about out of high school as graduates, and I just want to go home now.

I also have family there, besides my wife and children, there are no other family in Virginia.

If I do decide to call Connecticut home please tell me there is at least one place that sells good fried chicken.

I can sacrifice many things, good fried chicken with a nice potato salad is not something I'm willing to let go of.
Oh, you're an older guy? Figures lol. I should have known...young people are never on this forum looking to move to CT.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:21 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,972 times
Well I'm only 42, geez.

Young people today have it tough, this is not a picking on the millennials, it's the truth.

They graduated from college in debt with little jobs available and because of those 2 factors their upward mobility has been slowed.

When I was 20 something college was cheaper, apprenticeships were plentiful, even military service was less limited then what it is today.

I can honestly say that there is no way I would want to be young in today's America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut