Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 10:49 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times

Advertisements

Taxes are too high. Nothing to do. There's brighter and bigger places out west that are booming. Sorry Nooo Yawwk. Even you suburbs are losing people.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:22 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Taxes are too high. Nothing to do. There's brighter and bigger places out west that are booming. Sorry Nooo Yawwk. Even you suburbs are losing people.
Anywhere within the NYC, NY influence = "you gonna pay!"

The OP likes the western US landscape, I know that when I twice vacationed in California I felt the same he does when I came back. However, I know better that the grass isn't always greener as well as is the special things that the Northeast US offers that the Western US doesn't imho. Yeah watch that I wind up moving to the Western US now (as I'm a Bergen County Northern NJ native two years removed actively looking to relocate from SW NJ) - lol! Sorry to get off track a bit.

The OP should try relocating and if or when he finds that the grass isn't always greener he can try somewhere else imo. See again imo if he doesn't and stays then he'll have the "woulda, coulda and shoulda" tried syndrome in his senior years future.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:08 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
NY has been losing people for more than a decade. They've lost 2 congressional seats as a result.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Honestly, once you see it out west, CT isn't beautiful at all. I know, I know....that sounds weird to everyone reading this, but it's true. It totally changed my perspective on CT scenery and now I don't even really consider it a beautiful state. Now it just looks like bland green trees ALL over the place, with barely any interesting terrain whatsoever. The entire eastern U.S. is like this, actually. However, I will say that the unique charm/scenery offered by CT is the wide assortment of small town centers. But I can't stand the compactness. Now, after being out west, CT feels extremely claustrophobic, compact, slow-driving and limiting.
I've been out west and had the same view points as you after the first few visits to the Bay Area in N Cal. Since then, I've also come to know a lot of folks who live in Seattle, Denver and the like. One thing I can tell you - which I am sure you already know, there are pros and cons to every place. N Cal - extremely expensive, much more so than the NY Metro area. The traffic is a NIGHTMARE esp given their BART system is no where near as plentiful in terms of stations as Metro North / MTA. As for Seattle - it's getting pretty expensive there. I have personally never been, but know some people who live there and love it. Denver - my boss lived there and relocated to AZ a few yrs ago. He said as much as he and his family loved to ski and snowboard, it got old getting up at 7am on a Saturday and sitting in bumper to bumper traffic because everyone else also loves to ski and snowboard.

All that said, nothing can take away from the beauty of the Rocky Mountains or the Pacific Northwest. It is stunning.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I've been out west and had the same view points as you after the first few visits to the Bay Area in N Cal. Since then, I've also come to know a lot of folks who live in Seattle, Denver and the like. One thing I can tell you - which I am sure you already know, there are pros and cons to every place. N Cal - extremely expensive, much more so than the NY Metro area. The traffic is a NIGHTMARE esp given their BART system is no where near as plentiful in terms of stations as Metro North / MTA. As for Seattle - it's getting pretty expensive there. I have personally never been, but know some people who live there and love it. Denver - my boss lived there and relocated to AZ a few yrs ago. He said as much as he and his family loved to ski and snowboard, it got old getting up at 7am on a Saturday and sitting in bumper to bumper traffic because everyone else also loves to ski and snowboard.

All that said, nothing can take away from the beauty of the Rocky Mountains or the Pacific Northwest. It is stunning.
Yeah, I almost moved to Denver two years ago. Thank god I didn't. The traffic was atrocious and the entire metro area was very densely populated and congested. I also didn't like the liberal/weed culture that was visible in public at many places I went to. It's just not for me. The housing is very uninspired as well.

I would never move to NorCal for the reasons you stated. As everyone knows on this forum, I can't stand traffic, congestion, high COL and fast pace.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:01 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
NY has been losing people for more than a decade. They've lost 2 congressional seats as a result.
The reason that Congressional seats were lost is not because of losing population. It is because we and NY are not gaining population as much as other states. Jay

Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Yeah, I almost moved to Denver two years ago. Thank god I didn't. The traffic was atrocious and the entire metro area was very densely populated and congested. I also didn't like the liberal/weed culture that was visible in public at many places I went to. It's just not for me. The housing is very uninspired as well.

I would never move to NorCal for the reasons you stated. As everyone knows on this forum, I can't stand traffic, congestion, high COL and fast pace.
I was near Boulder, but I never felt Denver was anywhere near the congestion of FFC.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I was near Boulder, but I never felt Denver was anywhere near the congestion of FFC.
It's not quite as bad as FFC, but I was there on rush hour on a Thu night on some side streets and they were jammed very badly and not moving that great.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 AM

487 posts, read 536,988 times
Quote:
Oh, you're an older guy? Figures lol. I should have known...young people are never on this forum looking to move to CT.
If it helps, I'm in my early 30's and decided to stay in CT a bit longer. Was a tough decision but just officially turned down a relocation offer to move to Switzerland.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:46 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
It's not quite as bad as FFC, but I was there on rush hour on a Thu night on some side streets and they were jammed very badly and not moving that great.
I don't think you can judge it based on one isolated incident. There was traffic, but it seemed way less intense than around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut