Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yep, we sure could.

I'm not going strictly by "numbers". I'm going by the eyes and ears method. My eyes don't recall seeing as many luxury/exotic vehicles in Monroe as in Avon. In Monroe, i can't remember my ears ever overhearing conversations about a trip on Seabourn/Windjammer/etc. The income may be similar, but the "lifestyle" isn't. IMHO.
Which means your evidence is anecdotal. I'll go with the numbers in this case.

Avon is a lovely town, and so is Monroe, however, I certainly don't see Avon as superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 06:53 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yep, we sure could.

I'm not going strictly by "numbers". I'm going by the eyes and ears method. My eyes don't recall seeing as many luxury/exotic vehicles in Monroe as in Avon. In Monroe, i can't remember my ears ever overhearing conversations about a trip on Seabourn/Windjammer/etc. The income may be similar, but the "lifestyle" isn't. IMHO.
Maybe this is where the "perceived wealth" factor comes into play? . As in: "yes, I live in the best/wealthiest town in my immediate area, and so I can afford this, and it is natural" vs. "Um, no .... at this income level, what the hell am I thinking/get a clue!" . Just kidding! I'm frugal at heart, so ignore me & my comments .... LOL! = )

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-23-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 07:09 PM

678 posts, read 847,077 times
I'm biased against Monroe, even though I respect that it borders me. I do think Monroe looks...ugly, especially driving on Route 25, but, when you venture off into one of the streets it's connected to, Monroe is a good lookin' town. Monroe's Wolfe Park is beautiful, so I've heard. Avon, I heard is relatively newer and younger compared to Monroe, which is why you probably see more flashy things. I actually hold Avon higher than some of the FFC towns. What gets me about Avon is that it's like Greenwich regarding its diversity. 90% white and a high Asian minority. Avon also has a really, really good high school. The kids I've known from there are well prepared for college. I do think it's better than Monroe's Masuk.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
I'm biased against Monroe, even though I respect that it borders me. I do think Monroe looks...ugly, especially driving on Route 25, but, when you venture off into one of the streets it's connected to, Monroe is a good lookin' town. Monroe's Wolfe Park is beautiful, so I've heard. Avon, I heard is relatively newer and younger compared to Monroe, which is why you probably see more flashy things. I actually hold Avon higher than some of the FFC towns. What gets me about Avon is that it's like Greenwich regarding its diversity. 90% white and a high Asian minority. Avon also has a really, really good high school. The kids I've known from there are well prepared for college. I do think it's better than Monroe's Masuk.
Actually, Greenwich is pretty diverse as far as lower fairfield county towns go. Not sure about Avon, but I'm thinking a better racial demographic comparison might be a New Canaan, Wilton, Darien?

Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 PM

678 posts, read 847,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Actually, Greenwich is pretty diverse as far as lower fairfield county towns go. Not sure about Avon, but I'm thinking a better racial demographic comparison might be a New Canaan, Wilton, Darien?
Lol, that's what I mean! Greenwich is like Avon in the sense that these top tier affluent towns in their respective counties have a more diverse population than one would assume and especially against their neighboring towns. Greenwich and Avon both have roughly 90% white which is less than Darien, Farmington, Weston, New Canaan, Ridgefield, Wilton, etc. Other towns that are considered affluent in general. Even towns like Monroe, Newtown, and New Fairfield that are from FFC but more in line with Avon.

Speaking of diversity, I just looked up Glastonbury on CERC, and it seems like their 2011 estimate has it clocked at 86% White. I guess diversity is slowly moving to the suburbs. The 2000 Census has it clocked at 93% for comparison. Interesting!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Lol, that's what I mean! Greenwich is like Avon in the sense that these top tier affluent towns in their respective counties have a more diverse population than one would assume and especially against their neighboring towns. Greenwich and Avon both have roughly 90% white which is less than Darien, Farmington, Weston, New Canaan, Ridgefield, Wilton, etc. Other towns that are considered affluent in general. Even towns like Monroe, Newtown, and New Fairfield that are from FFC but more in line with Avon.

Speaking of diversity, I just looked up Glastonbury on CERC, and it seems like their 2011 estimate has it clocked at 86% White. I guess diversity is slowly moving to the suburbs. The 2000 Census has it clocked at 93% for comparison. Interesting!
Ohhhh! I got you now! Lol! Sorry about that

Old 07-23-2014, 07:50 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,218 times
Quote:
You are completely clueless when it comes to life in Fairfield County. I'm sorry if you feel offended by that.
Are you sure about that?

FYI--I lived in Stamford for 5 years, and almost wound up living in Danbury after. But, yeah...I know nothing of life in FFC.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Please stop the bickering and return to the subject of the OP which is Walmart coming to Monroe. JayCT, Moderator

Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM

15 posts, read 22,482 times
In this thread, it marks the first time I have ever heard anyone refer to Monroe as ugly. I find Monroe to be an attractive town.

Maybe one positive to this monstrosity of a store will be they will widen 25 in that area. Traffic can be a pain during rush hour!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:30 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortressPrince101 View Post
Maybe one positive to this monstrosity of a store will be they will widen 25 in that area.
It highlights the short-sighted decision to not complete 25 from Trumbull to Newtown. If that road existed, local traffic in Monroe and Newtown would be far more pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut