Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:33 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Milford, id go to the Walmart in Stratford. Can confirm it was an awful experience. I felt as if I was in a zoo or mad house.

The one in Hamden isnt as bad but I still wish it was gone. I almost wish all the big stores here were gone.

As far as Monroe goes, that one just might be okay. Monroe isnt too close to any Bridgeport or New Haven areas. So I wouldn't think it'd turn out to be a bad place to go as it may not attract the demographics that destroy the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
I think a Walmart in Monroe would be more along the lines of the one on Route 7 on the Norwalk/Wilton line. Believe it or not it's actually quite nice and nothing like the one in Stratford.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,088,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Monroe isnt too close to any Bridgeport .
Actually, it's just a few miles up 25.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Actually, it's just a few miles up 25.
Well Bridgeport is nearly 10 miles away from this proposed location. I'd be surprised if a lot of Bridgeport residents would take the slow drive up there. I'd think they'd have a closer Walmart to go to

Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Well Bridgeport is nearly 10 miles away from this proposed location. I'd be surprised if a lot of Bridgeport residents would take the slow drive up there. I'd think they'd have a closer Walmart to go to
Earlier in the year, the bus line from Bridgeport was extended along Rt. 25 in Monroe, to encourage people from Bridgeport to work and shop in the town of Monroe.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:00 AM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Earlier in the year, the bus line from Bridgeport was extended along Rt. 25 in Monroe, to encourage people from Bridgeport to work and shop in the town of Monroe.

If a Walmart, Target for etc was built in Bridgeport say goodbye to Stratford and Milford sales in those towns would drop 50-60%. I wonder why Walmart wasn't built there I known surrounding towns would prevent it.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Not a fan... Walmart effects micro-economies, built out of small business, mom and pops, etc... The negative effect of Walmart on Main Street isn't out-weighted by saving $.79 on juice.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Not a fan... Walmart effects micro-economies, built out of small business, mom and pops, etc... The negative effect of Walmart on Main Street isn't out-weighted by saving $.79 on juice.
Agree in theory, but many average families are still having a very hard time making ends meet post recession -- household incomes continue to be down, everything costs more (shocked how much more I'm shelling out at the grocery store these days. My family thankfully lives comfortably, but I can tell you my grocery budget from just two years ago no longer cuts it - not by a long shot. I really feel for others who were just getting by before, but are now having to scrimp and do without). So saving $.50 on possibly each item in your shopping cart really adds up for those who need it to -- especially for those who have multiple growing mouths to feed at home and who typically leave the supermarket with a packed cart.

I personally try to shop locally/independently when I can, i.e. I will go to the local butcher and bakery in town instead of the supermarket; I will go to our hardware store in town instead of Home Depot or lowes. But sometimes out of convenience sake and selection -- and yes, because of cost savings too -- I also do go the big box store route. I avoid Walmart though... I've never been to one I liked, and if there's something I want that Walmart sells, I will just go to Target instead.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 AM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times
In a move that surprised few Monroe residents, developer John Kimball confirmed Tuesday that a Wal-Mart superstore will be built on Victoria Drive off Main Street. The identity of the big box retailer has been rumored since the fall, when Kimball first went before the town's planning and zoning commission to seek approval for a 161,000-square-foot tenant at 2 Victoria Drive, near the Swiss Army corporate headquarters. Initially, the development team decided to keep the identity of the tenant quiet.

"The land use process is supposed to be about the use, not the name of the tenant and a lot of times that gets confused by the public," Kimball said.
But many suspected that Wal-Mart would be filling the space, and the prospect angered some residents, who feared that Wal-Mart's construction will put smaller stores in town out of business. First Selectman Steve Vavrek acknowledged that he has heard a variety of opinions about building a Wal-Mart at the site, but said that would be the case for any big box retailer.
"It's always been split between people wanting commercial growth and those wanting to keep the aesthetic of the town," he said, adding that he thought the development team did a great job in making the project "aesthetically pleasing."

Kimball said Wal-Mart was chosen because of its expansive shopping options. "Since Monroe has very little existing in terms of shopping opportunities, we needed an anchor tenant that brought a variety of goods into the market," he said.
Along with general merchandise, Wal-Mart superstores include a full range of groceries, including fresh produce, meat and dairy products, a bakery, deli and pharmacy. The store will also include a garden center.
The project will be built on 40 acres and require road improvements and construction of a wastewater treatment facility.

"This new store will mean approximately 300 jobs, most of them full-time, and a new, affordable shopping option for the community," said William C. Wertz, a Wal-Mart spokesman.

A groundbreaking is dependent on the conclusion of a lawsuit the town of Trumbull filed against Monroe and Kimball earlier this year. The suit was based on concerns about the impact of storm runoff from the project into the Pequonnock River.
Although Trumbull announced a settlement earlier this month, Kimball said court dates are still being scheduled. "As soon as we can get that resolved, we should be able to get on in scheduling the construction start," he said.
Wertz said the building process takes about a year after plans are approved and construction begins.
Wal-Mart has 11 superstores in Connecticut, along with 23 general merchandise stores, two neighborhood markets and three Sam's Clubs.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:16 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Agree in theory, but many average families are still having a very hard time making ends meet post recession -- household incomes continue to be down, everything costs more (shocked how much more I'm shelling out at the grocery store these days. My family thankfully lives comfortably, but I can tell you my grocery budget from just two years ago no longer cuts it - not by a long shot. I really feel for others who were just getting by before, but are now having to scrimp and do without). So saving $.50 on possibly each item in your shopping cart really adds up for those who need it to -- especially for those who have multiple growing mouths to feed at home and who typically leave the supermarket with a packed cart.

I personally try to shop locally/independently when I can, i.e. I will go to the local butcher and bakery in town instead of the supermarket; I will go to our hardware store in town instead of Home Depot or lowes. But sometimes out of convenience sake and selection -- and yes, because of cost savings too -- I also do go the big box store route. I avoid Walmart though... I've never been to one I liked, and if there's something I want that Walmart sells, I will just go to Target instead.
Fair point. There is a positive side, obviously, and that's the ability to get household good cheaper. On balance, however, we do pay for that as a society when we have to subsidize a good deal of Walmart's workforce through public assistance programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut