Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:22 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Fair point. There is a positive side, obviously, and that's the ability to get household good cheaper. On balance, however, we do pay for that as a society when we have to subsidize a good deal of Walmart's workforce through public assistance programs.
Personally, I would rather subsidize people who work and TRY to make a living than the ones sitting on their able-bodied behind drinking 40s of molt liquor at 1pm on a Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:32 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Personally, I would rather subsidize people who work and TRY to make a living than the ones sitting on their able-bodied behind drinking 40s of molt liquor at 1pm on a Tuesday.
Yep, me too. But, truly, we're subsidizing a corporation that pays substandard wages.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

"This new store will mean approximately 300 jobs, most of them full-time, and a new, affordable shopping option for the community," said William C. Wertz, a Wal-Mart spokesman.

I wonder if there will be 10,000 applicants for the 300 positions, as this article suggests is typical. Wow! Why Do 1.4 Million Americans Work At Walmart, With Many More Trying To? - Forbes

Old 07-23-2014, 01:00 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,188,510 times
Walmart has been great at marketing... The number of people that claim that Walmart is actually cheaper on balance is insane. Yes, on certain products they are a tad cheaper (their so-called door buster items) but nearly everything else is comparable to just about every other store with many items being much more expensive in aggregate. My real concern is when the retail market turns again and all this over expansion of the Super Walmarts leave husks in single purpose buildings that are then hard to re-fill.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:05 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,763 times
Blows my mind that there's one in Avon...which is every bit as affluent and 'snooty' as the FFC gold-coast towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The Town of Monroe, like most towns in Connecticut, have strict zoning laws. If a development is proposed that reasonably meets the zoning for the site, by law the project must be approved. The town and its residents have no choice. The zoning board cannot discriminate based on what company is coming in even if it is Walmart. I am not a Walmart shopper but there are some Walmarts that are not too bad. Rocky Hill and New Milford come to mind. Jay

Old 07-23-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Blows my mind that there's one in Avon...which is every bit as affluent and 'snooty' as the FFC gold-coast towns.
Actually, Avon's median household income is less than Monroe's (at least according to CERC -- $107K vs. $108k, respectively). And Monroe's is significantly less than the Gold Coast towns

Old 07-23-2014, 01:22 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Actually, Avon's median household income is less than Monroe's (at least according to CERC -- $107K vs. $108k, respectively). And Monroe's is significantly less than the Gold Coast towns
You're comparing apples and oranges.

A valid comparison would be Avon's median HHI relative to other Hartford County towns--and Monroe's median HHI relative to other FFC towns. I don't have the data handy, but you'd see that Avon was at or near the top for Hartford County, while Monroe is very much in the middle for FFC.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
You're comparing apples and oranges.

A valid comparison would be Avon's median HHI relative to other Hartford County towns--and Monroe's median HHI relative to other FFC towns. I don't have the data handy, but you'd see that Avon was at or near the top for Hartford County, while Monroe is very much in the middle for FFC.
Oh no doubt -- I totally agree with you on that point. I suppose I misunderstood when you said its as affluent as Gold Coast towns. Darien and New Canaan each are in the range of 190-195k median income -- different ball park entirely. The affluent Hartford suburbs are more comparable to the upper middle class Northern Fairfield county towns

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-23-2014 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 01:39 PM

14,056 posts, read 13,950,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Oh no doubt -- I totally agree with you on that point. I suppose I misunderstood when you said its as affluent as Gold Coast towns. Darien and New Canaan each are in the range of 190-195k median income -- different ball park entirely. The affluent Hartford suburbs are more comparable to the upper middle class Northern Fairfield county towns

Westport to Greenwich/New Canaan = Bugatti Veyron

Hartford suburbs = Lamborghini Aventador

Old 07-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpt111 View Post
westport to greenwich/new canaan = bugatti veyron

hartford suburbs = lamborghini aventador
ok..... (??????????????)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut