Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,824 times

Advertisements

My family is planning on relocating to fairfield ct next month from India. I have job in Hartford and my wife in NYC. We zeroed in on fairfield because it seems to be the mid point for both of us. I needed help with the following. Sincerely appreciate a response

1.Good public schools and day care which are walkable from the fairfield metro station. I have a 5 year old son and we need to be sure to ave a good day care for him since both of us are working

2. Good residential localities around the same location as school and day care with a mx rent of upto 1500 USD.

3. Car pool and van pool options from fairfield to hartford till i buy a car. Also wanted to know if i can drive temporarily on my indian license in CT till i get a ct license.

Appreciate all your help

Thanks and Regards
Jay Trivedi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 04:07 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
you might need to re-evaluate your budget. Daycare alone will eat up much of your 1500USD each month.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:28 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
You can likely find a rental close to Fairfield Metro station for around $1,500. Public schools are based on the district you live and all the kids from the neighborhood attend the same schools. Day care certainly will cost a significant amount of money-- although I'm sure you can find a place for less than $1,500 per month.

There are no realistic public transportation options from Fairfield to Hartford. A private car pool might be an option, but I don't know how you'd go about locating one.

I'm not sure your plan and budgets are doable. Sorry.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:52 AM

I'm sure they can find daycare for less than $1,500/month, but if their total budget for rent and daycare is $1,500, I'm not sure there is anything anywhere in CT for that amount.

Heck, round trip Metro North from Fairfield to Grand Central isn't going to be cheap, even if you buy a monthly pass. Then, Metro North to New Haven and then Amtrak to Hartford might even cost more. And, with speed & schedule of the trains, you'd also need to worry about getting back to daycare by the normal daycare closing times of 6:30 or so. Some places may be open till 7:00, but not many.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:01 AM

399 posts, read 851,333 times
I don't know that you can even send a 5 year old to day care, can you? The only day care walk-able to Metro is Pumpkin Pre-school, and I know from experience that they book up months or a year in advance. Especially with your budget, you might be better off putting your child in kindergarten - at least the bus stop will be within a few blocks of your home.

That said, if you're set on day care, I can tell you that 3 days a week will run you right around $1k a month for Pumpkin, Child's Garden, and Teddy Bear Corner. So if you need 5 days, you're talking prob $1,200 - $1,500 easily. Also, unless you or your wife can be back in Fairfield to pick him up by 5:00 or 5:30, this option won't work anyway.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_f View Post
I don't know that you can even send a 5 year old to day care, can you? The only day care walk-able to Metro is Pumpkin Pre-school, and I know from experience that they book up months or a year in advance. Especially with your budget, you might be better off putting your child in kindergarten - at least the bus stop will be within a few blocks of your home.

That said, if you're set on day care, I can tell you that 3 days a week will run you right around $1k a month for Pumpkin, Child's Garden, and Teddy Bear Corner. So if you need 5 days, you're talking prob $1,200 - $1,500 easily. Also, unless you or your wife can be back in Fairfield to pick him up by 5:00 or 5:30, this option won't work anyway.
I would think they'd mean going to day care after school is done for the day? i know lots of daycares that pick up kids from the school and then bring them to the local daycare facility.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_f View Post
Especially with your budget, you might be better off putting your child in kindergarten - at least the bus stop will be within a few blocks of your home.
Even if the child is in school, the OP will still need before and after-school care, as well as child care for holidays and school vacations. All of which will likely total several hundred dollars a month. Some schools do offer before and after care for a price, but probably not as late as the OP will need if commuting to Hartford, and the wife to NYC.

I just don't see how this can be done with the OP's budget.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:38 AM

399 posts, read 851,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I would think they'd mean going to day care after school is done for the day? i know lots of daycares that pick up kids from the school and then bring them to the local daycare facility.
Ah my bad. Read and commented before my second coffee of the morning.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 3,824 times
Thanks a ton for the replies. It does look like day care will eat up a lot into the monthly budget. are the before and after school programs at public schools similarly costly?

I am looking at van pool options and plan to leave from work at hartford by 4.30 max to be back by atleast 6.

Can you suggest me some good residential localities around fairfield metro station?

also, wanted to check if i can temporarily drive on my indian license for a time period till i get a CT DL.

Thank you for your help

Thanks and Regards
Jay

Old 09-09-2014, 08:44 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Fairfield Metro Center is located in a more industrial area on the edge of the town of Fairfield. There are two neighborhoods that are walkable to the station, Grasmere and the New England Streets area (Rhode Island Avenue, Massachusetts Avenue, New England Avenue, Massachusetts Avenue). They are not large and there are no real large scale apartments in the area. You will likely have to find an apartment in a two family house to be close to the station. As others noted, finding a rental in your price range near the station may be hard. Fairfield is an expensive area and rentals are limited.

What is the age of your child? At age 5 here, kids usually start public school in kindergarten so if your child is old enough, they should be going to public school. The public schools in the Town of Fairfield are very good so as long as you find a home in Fairfield you do not have to be concerned. You will however have to look for child care before and after school which can be tricky. As noted the Pumkin Patch is the only daycare in that area so your options are limited unless you can find private in-home daycare nearby. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut