Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 06:19 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I think by the time he meets someone, that house will be in the 700's to purchase.
Exactly. The prices will only continue to rise, rise and rise, while my income stays stagnant and I remain single. It's a lost cause. I just don't see a light at the end of this long, deep, dark tunnel.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:47 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Exactly. The prices will only continue to rise, rise and rise, while my income stays stagnant and I remain single. It's a lost cause. I just don't see a light at the end of this long, deep, dark tunnel.
You're right. Move to sunny Buffalo. Au revoir.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:59 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Why would anyone need four wheel drive in WNY? The land is flat as a pancake.
For driving on rural roads anywhere in the Snowbelt an AWD Subaru (30s mpg) is a good idea. I lived in NH and now WI and they are great for handling and cornering during all severe winter scenarios.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,119 times
Actually Nep it can only get so high before it crashes. Middle-class and upper-middle class can only bear so much before they bail as well. There are people who make 250k a year and are leaving places like Manhattan because that's not enough to live there.

No matter what state you live in there is a certain section of affluence. You guys have FFC, we have NoVa, Florida has Boca Rotan, North Carolina has Chapel Hill.

You have to realize what's important to you, Armyvet1's quality of life is trails, natures, mountains and streams, Apple orchards, farmers markets, I know I would not like city living so I simply don't live there. I would make at least 30k more a year in a big city but when it costs you 100k more to live there then it would make no darn sense, it's not feasible for me to try and force living in a place that does not fit my definition of quality of life.

Of course you're a young single guy and I'm married with kids so my quality centers more around family and family things like farmers markets, picking apples at the orchard, friday night high school football games, that's my life and I'm fine with it.

I went to school for mechanics and refregeration, I have technical trade skill, I also used to work in the family business who were electrical contractors. If I could do it over again I would have attended Virginia Tech and got my degree in agriculture and farming.

I'm at least 12 years older then you are and I grew up in Putnam/Northern Westchester New York which is rural compared to southern westchester and all those places.

My grandfather who worked for the city moved my mom out of Manhattan and to Patterson NY. He took a job as a camp director at Camp Herrlich on Deacon Smith Hill Road. I grew up in the woods at the old camp with streams and deer walking across your lawn. I'm just more used to rural country life.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:12 PM

9,092 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Crap...I didn't realize that. You're probably right about there being tons of Canadian tourists. Ugh. I should cancel the interview.
Canadians on average are more liberal than Americans, especially in the Toronto area, and they are much nicer people than NYCers. So what's the problem?

Old 11-09-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You obviously have not looked for apartments in New York or New Jersey. On top of paying all that you have to pay an agent fee. This is all very common in desirable real estate markets like Fairfield County. Jay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The fact that rents are so high and moving fast certainly does mean it is a desirable market. That is the basis of a free market economic. Jay
These arguments do not take into account that some people, perhaps many people are only in these areas for access to high paying jobs. Let's say theoretically that everyone could telecommute 100%. Even though that is not currently possible, I believe that under such a scenario there would be a tremendous exodus from places like northern NJ and lower FFC. In other words I tend to believe that a significant segment of the population needs to be in lower FFC for work but doesn't necessarily consider it their number one preferred location.

Like ArmyVet, if I didn't need to access a congested area for work, I would avoid all of them like the plague.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
For driving on rural roads anywhere in the Snowbelt an AWD Subaru (30s mpg) is a good idea. I lived in NH and now WI and they are great for handling and cornering during all severe winter scenarios.
The only problem I would see with many of the Subarus is navigating an unplowed road if the snowfall is deep. AWD won't be of much use if the snowfall is above the height of the bumpers. Personally I make sure to have a pickup truck available even in New England which is not as bad as WNY in regard to typical snowfall amounts. The only Subaru I would feel comfortable with in WNY would be the Forrester.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:02 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,119 times
Jeep would best for snow cause the vehicle weight is more evenly balanced. A pick-up truck is a little light in the rear end its basically an empty bed with a fuel tank centered on the frame, a differential and 2 axle shafts, of course you have the tires and wheels. You can throw some sand bags in the bed and get a little more grip I suppose.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Jeep would best for snow cause the vehicle weight is more evenly balanced. A pick-up truck is a little light in the rear end its basically an empty bed with a fuel tank centered on the frame, a differential and 2 axle shafts, of course you have the tires and wheels. You can throw some sand bags in the bed and get a little more grip I suppose.
I'm not buying any new vehicles if I do end up moving there. I bought a brand new car 6 years ago and I want to keep it for 4 more years. I have no car payment and like it that way.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:18 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
nep321, The idea of keeping a car not equipped for the 9th snowiest city in America isn't sane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut