Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:34 PM

17 posts, read 48,690 times

Advertisements

We are looking to make a move in the next few years. We currently split our time between Los Angeles and Spokane, WA. I hate living in Los Angeles and Spokane is not right for us either. (although family being in Spokane, we will always keep our home there) The West Coast is just not my thing. We want a safe nice community where we can have a large lot or small bit of land, I would say at least 1/2 an acre. I want friendly people that do not hate transplants, especially those from California. I want somewhere pretty with trees and definite seasons. (and we love snow, no problem there) We need decent schools, public or private. My husband will be self employed/semi retired so jobs are not an issue and frankly, coming from western Los Angeles, housing costs are not a big issue either. We hate the LA snob feel that we currently live in. While we maybe can afford a very high end area, I just want a nice safe down to earth place where I can plant some long term roots. The kids and I are non denomination Christians and hubby is a non religious Jew, we want a place where this is not a problem. We like to sometimes go to the theater and concerts, so reasonable proximity to a big city would be a great bonus. (by reasonable I mean 2 hrs or less) We need an airport and good hospitals available as well. Economic stability would be nice so that our children do not grow up and have to move away to work. (a big issue in many western areas)

Any thoughts? I know this is a lot of information, but I am at a loss as to where to start. We have spent the last few years checking western states off our list! LOL We love the history on the eastern states and are very open minded.

Thanks so much everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 12:05 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times
Needy

We are X Californians too. We escaped to Italy 4 years ago and are planning a move to Ct in the next year or two. Have you visited? This snob thing and lack of interest in the children on the West is simply unbelievable. Lots of small towns in Ct. You can spend little or a lot.

Madison is nice, but you might feel a little of the snob stuff too. It is on the shore.

I think we are heading toward Litchfield county.

Seems as though the closer you get to Manhattan, the more you get people who are more interested in the rat race and less interested in family. JMHO

Old 12-29-2007, 02:17 AM

Also, like California, CT has some "very high end" in the 20-40M range. If you are in this range, congratulations. If not, you might want to recast your parameters.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:20 AM

You mean the 20 to 40 MILLION dollar home range? No, we are not in that price range! LOL We will be leaving a nice beach home in the Pacific Palisades area of Los Angeles but not quite THAT nice. LOL

Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 AM

Needy

From what I've seen, 1/2 acre lots are minimum unless you are on the beach or are in the heart of the town villages.

People do not pay to send their kids to a "decent" private school, they pay to send them to exceptional schools.

How many and how old are your kids? Have you gone out for a look see?

I am trading my house out in Assisi for 6 weeks this summer with a family in CT so we can get a feel for the towns.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 12-29-2007 at 03:54 AM..

Old 12-29-2007, 05:29 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
needtoescape , Bob made some great suggestions, I may add also that Connecticut has many nice towns with an absence of attitude and snobbery. These towns are for the most part outside of Fairfield county, which is in fact closer to NYC-but even here the snob factor will be less then Southern CA. Some towns to consider are Rocky Hill, Glastonbury, Somers, Coventry, Willington, Middletown, North Haven, Guilford, Clinton, Essex, Chester, West Hartford, Colchester, among many others. Lot and home prices in many of these towns will be surprisingly far less then California.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:21 PM

333 posts, read 467,800 times
I think coming from an urban area, Fairfield or Hartford counties will suit your needs. Living in Fairfield County, you will be approximately an hour from Manhattan - there are many nice towns there with excellent schools (Greenwich being the most desirable, but a bit snooty). Other less snooty towns in Fairfield county are Fairfield town, Ridgefield (worth looking at, beautiful town), Westport, Darien and New Canaan. In many of these towns, you will be paying around 1m for an average home. Ridgefield and Fairfield will be a bit cheaper. Most of Fairfield County isn't snobby - folks here are pretty down to earth when compared to California. It's a great area to live if you can afford it. Easy access to the city by Metro-North commuter rail, or if it's an off peak time, you can easily drive into Manhattan for lunch or dinner, shopping or to see a show on Broadway.

If you don't mind being more than two hours from Manhattan or Boston, then go with the Hartford area. Glastonbury, West Hartford, Avon and Simsbury are among the most desirable towns in that area with home prices significantly less than what you'll pay to live in Fairfield County. Schools are also very good as well. It's just a bit further from a big city than you desire.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:01 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Since you are coming from a very high priced area, the home prices in Connecticut (even pricey Fairfield County) will not shock you. To be within and hour or two of New York, I would suggest Fairfield County or even New Haven. The Town of Fairfield is great, very down to earth with a LOT of good shopping, restaurants and family activities. The schools are considered excellent. I would also suggest considering the suburbs to the east of NEw Haven including Madison, Guilford and Branford. These are very nice towns with very good to excellent schools that may be what you are looking for. Hope this helps. Jay

Old 12-30-2007, 12:04 AM

Thanks Jay... It helps tremendously!
Lesa

Old 12-30-2007, 12:27 AM

Needy

If you don't need to go to Manhattan to work, does it make sense to live with people that do? Not that they are bad people, but their mindset is geared toward that. It's like living in a senior community when you are only 40.

I am thinking buy farther out and maybe buy or rent a small apartment in Bronxville or something. I see 1 Bd apartments in the low 100k range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut