Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:08 AM

35,026 posts, read 57,115,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
There's Hartford fatigue. There always seems to be some new plan that's going to give the city a shot in the arm, but it never pans out or fails to deliver even a portion of what was promised. Rinse and repeat. Factor in the corruption that is endemic to the city, and it seems like these projects exist for people to line their pockets with taxpayer money.

Whereas New Haven and Stamford seem to actually get projects done and with little fanfare.
I disagree. Look at the very successful Connecticut Convention Center and Front Street. Front Street was slow to start but that was primarily because of the slow economy. Now that the economy is improving, there are a number of great restaurants, the popular movie theaters and Infinity Hall there. Also, ALL of the residential projects proposed are doing well including the massive Hartford 21 building. Sure there were proposal for many office buildings that never got built back in the 80's and the football stadium several years ago but a lot of the other major projects in Hartford did get built and are successful. Even going back in time, look at the XL Center, City Place I & II, the G. Fox and Sage Allen Building conversions, State House Square, and Constitution Plaza. All were highly successful projects. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:27 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,434,291 times
I haven’t lived in the area for a huge amount of time, so it isn’t like Hartford and I have a history that goes back to the 90s or anything. I think in the time I have been here, things have moved forward in Hartford. On top of the improvements Jay mentioned, there are a lot more people living downtown these days compared to when I first moved here. I actually know several people who live there and (gasp!) like it. If it was as bad as many of the Hartford-fearful suburbanites thought (and to Raider’s point, yup it’s usually the white people from the whitest suburbs), would downtown be successfully renting out $1600/month one bedroom apartments? Probably not.

There is a tremendous amount of schadenfreude emanating from the Hartford suburbs and I don’t get it. As a suburbanite myself, I choose to support the city that keeps many of us employed. If you live in the area and are invested in your community in any way, it is in your best interest to have the city succeed to retain jobs, keep your house values up, etc. Hartford has a lot of room to improve but I am rooting for, not against, the city.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:38 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,958,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I disagree. Look at the very successful Connecticut Convention Center and Front Street. Front Street was slow to start but that was primarily because of the slow economy. Now that the economy is improving, there are a number of great restaurants, the popular movie theaters and Infinity Hall there. Also, ALL of the residential projects proposed are doing well including the massive Hartford 21 building. Sure there were proposal for many office buildings that never got built back in the 80's and the football stadium several years ago but a lot of the other major projects in Hartford did get built and are successful. Even going back in time, look at the XL Center, City Place I & II, the G. Fox and Sage Allen Building conversions, State House Square, and Constitution Plaza. All were highly successful projects. Jay
The convention center is still not turning a profit and is still being subsidized by state taxpayers. Hardly a success. Front Street took nearly 20 years to get off the ground (remember ESPNZone?) and its premature to judge it a success this early in the game. And I'm not sure what relevance projects that were completed 40 or 50 years ago have to do with the present day. Especially Constitution Plaza, which by most accounts was and is a failure and destroyed entire neighborhoods in its construction.

I will say that the renovations to the XL Center are very nice and really improved the venue. And CityPlace may be the nicest office building in the state. Although the Goodwin Hotel is sorely missed.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:33 AM

35,026 posts, read 57,115,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
The convention center is still not turning a profit and is still being subsidized by state taxpayers. Hardly a success. Front Street took nearly 20 years to get off the ground (remember ESPNZone?) and its premature to judge it a success this early in the game. And I'm not sure what relevance projects that were completed 40 or 50 years ago have to do with the present day. Especially Constitution Plaza, which by most accounts was and is a failure and destroyed entire neighborhoods in its construction.

I will say that the renovations to the XL Center are very nice and really improved the venue. And CityPlace may be the nicest office building in the state. Although the Goodwin Hotel is sorely missed.
The Connecticut Convention Center is a success. It depends though how you define it though. The center itself does not make much if any money but it is a highly used facility. If you include monies from parking and taxes and business (hotels, restaurants, etc.) gained related to events held there, it adds money to the state coffers. As I noted, the problem with Front Street is that it was built during a major downturn in the economy. Still the movie theaters opened there and did well. Now that that the economy is improving, restaurants have come in and Infinity Hall, apartments are being built and UConn is moving there. I am not sure what more you require for it to be a success.

You were the one that said Hartford has a long history of projects that did not work. I brought up Constitution Plaza to show you that there is a long history of successful projects in the city.

Sorry but Constitution Plaza was a success. Despite all the nostalgia for that area, the original Front Street (the main street where the plaza was built) was a slum with old buildings and very substandard housing. The buildings may have be "charming" from today's perspective but really the were not a big lose for the city. I have said this before but without Constitution Plaza, there would be a lot less major companies and offices downtown. The was built to combat the fleeing of businesses to the suburbs and kept many from leaving including Travelers, Phoenix, Connecticut Bank & Trust (now Bank of America), Channel 3 and Hartford Steam Boiler. Though the Plaza is 50 years old, it still has many businesses and with all the changes currently underway or planned it will likely serve Hartford well for the next 50 years. These include the state moving 3,500 employees there, Trinity College taking over the Travelers Conference Center for classes, the old hotel being converted to housing and a new building on the site of Channel 3's old building. What more does it take to make a complex successful? Jay

Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,323,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
and a new building on the site of Channel 3's old building. What more does it take to make a complex successful? Jay
What are they building on that site? It's been nothing but dirt for years. Is it a small high rise that either includes housing, retail, or office space? If so, has it already been approved?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:50 AM

11,319 posts, read 18,936,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I haven’t lived in the area for a huge amount of time, so it isn’t like Hartford and I have a history that goes back to the 90s or anything. I think in the time I have been here, things have moved forward in Hartford. On top of the improvements Jay mentioned, there are a lot more people living downtown these days compared to when I first moved here. I actually know several people who live there and (gasp!) like it. If it was as bad as many of the Hartford-fearful suburbanites thought (and to Raider’s point, yup it’s usually the white people from the whitest suburbs), would downtown be successfully renting out $1600/month one bedroom apartments? Probably not.

There is a tremendous amount of schadenfreude emanating from the Hartford suburbs and I don’t get it. As a suburbanite myself, I choose to support the city that keeps many of us employed. If you live in the area and are invested in your community in any way, it is in your best interest to have the city succeed to retain jobs, keep your house values up, etc. Hartford has a lot of room to improve but I am rooting for, not against, the city.
It isnt just Hartford, it simply is Hartford right now. Im sure the same thing goes on in places like Detroit. In the 1970s the same thing was even happening with NYC! (Suburbanites condemning the city that is).

Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,851,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExplorer View Post
What are they building on that site? It's been nothing but dirt for years. Is it a small high rise that either includes housing, retail, or office space? If so, has it already been approved?

It was supposed to be some type of environmentally friendly office building. The developer couldn't get tenants or financing I think so the project never started. I don't think there are any plans for it currently.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:52 PM

625 posts, read 2,053,489 times
The building on the old WFSB site should be in place for 2016, groundbreaking this spring... A New Beginning for Site of Revered Broadcast House | The Hartfordite

Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 AM

70 posts, read 105,949 times
I am a so called young professional and lived in Hartford for a few years. Unfortunately, the tax structure makes it unrealistic once you are a few years out of college and plan on owning a decent car. The benefits of low rent are eliminated with the high car tax rate. Not many young professionals want to own a dumpy car forever. Hartford has made some improvements no question, but it never seems to take off. The city also suffers heavily from an unfair bad reputation among outsiders within CT that leads it to being even more unpopular with the younger crowd. There is also the sad factor of having so many unemployed or underemployed people that makes it difficult to live with on a daily basis. It was depressing driving down farmington Ave at times. The new condos sound promising from an outside glance, but I am skeptical it will change anything since the cost benefit doesn't seem to make sense. I can see college students on mommy and daddy money or loan money with maybe a few outsourced workers living there.

Hartford is and has been trying to cater to outsiders rather then fix the problems that exist for its own residents. At the same time once anyone starts making a decent living, there is a great incentive to leave the city for cheaper living.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,025,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06117 View Post
I am a so called young professional and lived in Hartford for a few years. Unfortunately, the tax structure makes it unrealistic once you are a few years out of college and plan on owning a decent car. The benefits of low rent are eliminated with the high car tax rate. Not many young professionals want to own a dumpy car forever. Hartford has made some improvements no question, but it never seems to take off. The city also suffers heavily from an unfair bad reputation among outsiders within CT that leads it to being even more unpopular with the younger crowd. There is also the sad factor of having so many unemployed or underemployed people that makes it difficult to live with on a daily basis. It was depressing driving down farmington Ave at times. The new condos sound promising from an outside glance, but I am skeptical it will change anything since the cost benefit doesn't seem to make sense. I can see college students on mommy and daddy money or loan money with maybe a few outsourced workers living there.

Hartford is and has been trying to cater to outsiders rather then fix the problems that exist for its own residents. At the same time once anyone starts making a decent living, there is a great incentive to leave the city for cheaper living.

Absolutely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut