Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 05:23 AM

14 posts, read 18,782 times

Advertisements

We might be relocating from GA to CT in the next 6-8 months. My husband will be in sales, and will be traveling throught out the NY/New England area. The Hartford area seems like a good, central location. We'd like to get a 3-4 br house, with basement/woodshop. School and town sports/recreation are important to us - our boys are 5 and 9, and are active in sports. We've seen some promising houses on realtor.com in Simsbury and Granby, but since we've only been looking for a week, it's hard to tell if these are flukes or not!

Is $275K reasonable for north of Harford? Are the schools as good as GreatSchools indicate? Any areas to avoid?

Thanks for any advice! I grew up north of Boston, and never thought I'd move close to home again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 05:33 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
If you are looking at the Hartford area with a $275 budget, you will be hard pressed to be in Simsbury.

Not sure if you have your mind set on the "north of Hartford" location, but if you open up searchable area you can find plenty of towns that meet the criteria.

Towns like Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Berlin, Wethersfield, Newington and Southington.

I'll vote Southington for the fact that it's close to major highways, you could find a good home for that price and sports are huge here (Football and baseball teams always rank in the top 3 statewide). Also, the school system is very good, large, but good.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:36 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Simsbury has excellent schools, and Granby schools are good as well. Most people would consider Simsbury schools to be superior to Granby. At the high school level, Simsbury HS has about twice the number of students as Granby HS and will offer students more choices/options in terms of class choices. Simsbury will offer more choices in terms of restaurants and shopping (lots of retail along Route 44, which stretches through Simsbury, Avon and Canton)

There are no bad areas in either town

Old 01-19-2015, 05:46 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
If you are looking at the Hartford area with a $275 budget, you will be hard pressed to be in Simsbury.

Not sure if you have your mind set on the "north of Hartford" location, but if you open up searchable area you can find plenty of towns that meet the criteria.

Towns like Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Berlin, Wethersfield, Newington and Southington.

I'll vote Southington for the fact that it's close to major highways, you could find a good home for that price and sports are huge here (Football and baseball teams always rank in the top 3 statewide). Also, the school system is very good, large, but good.
They've already indicated they've found some promising homes in both towns within their budget. I think in the other thread, they also wanted to be close to the airport, which was why Simsbury and Granby were possibilities.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...70-37547?row=9

Old 01-19-2015, 06:11 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
They've already indicated they've found some promising homes in both towns within their budget. I think in the other thread, they also wanted to be close to the airport, which was why Simsbury and Granby were possibilities.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...70-37547?row=9
Gotcha,

Scratch my post.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Public schools in Connecticut are considered to be among the top in the country so even a middle rated school system will be very good. I do not like greatschools.com because their criteria is not necessarily the same as what most people consider when looking for good schools. I have seen them give good ratings to questionable schools and questionable ratings to very good schools.

Simsbury has one of the top rated school districts in the state. Students there perform well over the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. $275,000 will likely buy you a modest home in need of work or a home that is located on a busy street. Granby is a little less expensive but offers less accessibility to major shopping. Still it is a beautiful town. If you want to be north of Hartford, near the airport, I would also consider East Granby and Suffield. Both are nice smaller towns with very good schools.

If you do not need to be near the airport and want a good town and more for your money, I would consider the towns Mr._250 recommends. There are a few others you can also consider like South Windsor, Bolton, Hebron, Marlborough, Tolland and Colchester. Even Glastonbury would have some modest homes in your price range. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut