Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:44 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
I don't know why they are calling it the "best" cities when it appears to be based on income only.

I for one am NOT surprised to see Hartford on this list. As a resident of Fairfield County I have been saying this for years. The state is HEAVILY taxing it's wealthiest residents most of whom reside in Fairfield County. All that money is ending up in Hartford. Do you realize that CT government employees make about 2X as much as their private sector counter parts for the equivalent job. I also think I remember seeing that CT has the most per capita government jobs than any other state most of whom are most likely in the Hartford area.
The article is based in private companies GDP, not tax.

The reason why GDP looks so good in Hartford is because of the physical addresses of headquarters not were product is made. FFC for example is one of the largest exporters of corn. Lol for real look it up. The only reason for that is because hedge funds who trade commodities are located in FFC.

This list is bogus and everyone who reads it assumes its a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 10:58 AM

642 posts, read 859,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
The article is based in private companies GDP, not tax.

The reason why GDP looks so good in Hartford is because of the physical addresses of headquarters not were product is made. FFC for example is one of the largest exporters of corn. Lol for real look it up. The only reason for that is because hedge funds who trade commodities are located in FFC.

This list is bogus and everyone who reads it assumes its a joke.
Then that is amazing. I would love to see how this is figured out because you would think cities in Silicon Valley would be higher. I can understand how the top cities are all financial based companies though. I wonder what makes San Diego be in the top 5 then?

The other baffling thing about this list is Bridgeport and not Stamford because (I believe) all of the hedge fund companies are in lower Fairfield County.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:25 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
I don't know why they are calling it the "best" cities when it appears to be based on income only.

I for one am NOT surprised to see Hartford on this list. As a resident of Fairfield County I have been saying this for years. The state is HEAVILY taxing it's wealthiest residents most of whom reside in Fairfield County. All that money is ending up in Hartford. Do you realize that CT government employees make about 2X as much as their private sector counter parts for the equivalent job. I also think I remember seeing that CT has the most per capita government jobs than any other state most of whom are most likely in the Hartford area.
Sorry but Connecticut state employees do not make twice what private sector employees do. They actually make less but have better benefits. For new employees they are only slightly better than private companies.

Hartford's wealth is not from Fairfield County. Hartford is home to many very profitable companies including UTC and major insurance companies. Places like Pratt and Hamilton have well paying jobs as do the insurance companies.

Also the reason the state has more employees than other states is that we do not have a county level of government. The state handles many of the services handled by counties in other states so of course we need more state employees. Jay

Old 01-26-2015, 06:02 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Quote:
Do you realize that CT government employees make about 2X as much as their private sector counter parts for the equivalent job. I also think I remember seeing that CT has the most per capita government jobs than any other state most of whom are most likely in the Hartford area.
This I do not think is true. Over a lifetime, yes, but in "standard" yearly salary, no.

Check out this --> The Yankee Institute Open Government

It will list all public employees salaries. I took my job and found a person (who I know does the same thing as me) and compared salaries. His salary and mine are very similar. However; his work hours are from 7:30 to 3:30 with the chance for OT, his healthcare is like 14 bucks a week for a family and he gets a pension. So, in the end he can retire at 50 with full pension and health benefits while I (private sector) have to work until the day I pass.

In reality, in a lifetime they prob make 2X plus, but it is realized over a number of years, not all at once.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 AM

8 posts, read 6,339 times
Default If the Insurance companies left Hartord, it would be a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
So i am curious, what would happen if that whole insurance niche just up and disappeared from Hartford ? Can the city sustain or would it crumble? I know nothing about Hartford so i am curious,! .
Considering so many insurance companies just want to make millions of dollars in money but DO NOT want to insure their customers when bad things happen to them, letting so many deceitful, negligent insurance companies leave Hartford would be a GREAT THING!

There is now a class-action law suit by hundreds of its customers being filed against Liberty Mutual, which is NOT a great insurance company, especially if you get injured in a car accident.

Perhaps the reason that there is so LOW numbers of jobs to get in Hartford or CONNECTICUT in general is because there much corruption in that state because they allow MANY corrupt insurance companies to stay in the state for years on end.
There was actually a movie by Michael Moore about Cigna Insurance, how bad it was, but Governir Malloy actually ENCOURAGED Cigna to come to Connecticut!
How sad! No wonder I see SO MANY people selling their homes in Connectict and wanting to move out of the state.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:36 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This I do not think is true. Over a lifetime, yes, but in "standard" yearly salary, no.

Check out this --> The Yankee Institute Open Government

It will list all public employees salaries. I took my job and found a person (who I know does the same thing as me) and compared salaries. His salary and mine are very similar. However; his work hours are from 7:30 to 3:30 with the chance for OT, his healthcare is like 14 bucks a week for a family and he gets a pension. So, in the end he can retire at 50 with full pension and health benefits while I (private sector) have to work until the day I pass.

In reality, in a lifetime they prob make 2X plus, but it is realized over a number of years, not all at once.
The minimum retirement age for state workers is 55 not 50. I believe they must have a minimum of 20 years service to get their full benefits. And depending on what tier they are, they pay more for their benefits (health and retirement) now than older employees did.

You should be saving for your retirement now. If you are not, get going. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut