Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 12:37 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I just got home. Figured I would leave at 1:00 to stay ahead of anything. Snow seems to be picking up now. Parkway, for now, was fine..... But there were a lot of cars on it so I guess people are leaving early.
On another note, an email was sent to all the dealers from the owner and second in command reminding us employees that tomorrow is a regular work day and we are open...... Any employees who don't come in will use a sick day or vacation day. Nice, huh? One is in California on vacation and the other is in Texas on vacation at his other home. Wtf.
Even though I know they are a car dealership and that industry is notorious for such lunacy (my wife used to work for one until she realized how they treat women), I'm actually surprised because many businesses I know never close are. For example, I have a friend who works for a law firm in White Plains that is like that yet today they just closed and will be closed tomorrow. Also, in Westchester at least, buses are going to stop running at 8pm and will not run again until Wednesday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 12:38 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
It's been coming down in Trumbull most of the day starting at 8 or so. In the morning it was just little flurries but was consistent enough that by 10:30 when I left work, there was ground & windshields of cars covered. Roads were fine, people panicking like usual. Starting to come down harder now in the last half hour or so. Usually I go help my uncle with some work Monday night's, but looks like I should pass on that tonight, huh Cam??

Old 01-26-2015, 12:44 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
@ Cambium:

You wanted snow? You got snow. And you thought winter was over, just because there wasn't much snow till Jan 15. Now, in a couple of weeks we'll get up to Buffalo's numbers. Nice jinx!!
lol. I should wave the white flag more often? I still say Early Spring coming. But I'm probably wrong about that too.

The precip shield isn't moving. Bunker down, this is steady snow now. Will pick up as we move into the evening.

NYC reporting Heavy snow now.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:47 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Blizzards cause power outages in many ways, falling branches, extreme cold, and wind. When things ice up and metal becomes a little more brittle in the cold it can break more easily. Not necessarily the wires, but connectors or other materials used to hang up said lines.

Was out for our sons checkup appt. around 12. Roads in North Haven/WFD were coated and a little slick. after the appointment they were wet and somewhat slushy. Coming down again now, heavier than before with some wind now. Work is done for the day and there is a magnum of Cab with my name on it.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:49 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I just got home. Figured I would leave at 1:00 to stay ahead of anything. Snow seems to be picking up now. Parkway, for now, was fine..... But there were a lot of cars on it so I guess people are leaving early.
On another note, an email was sent to all the dealers from the owner and second in command reminding us employees that tomorrow is a regular work day and we are open...... Any employees who don't come in will use a sick day or vacation day. Nice, huh? One is in California on vacation and the other is in Texas on vacation at his other home. Wtf.
Disgusting.

The owner is a multi millionaire "job creator". He gets to abuse you.
Make sure you vote republican so we can lower his taxes. lol The 1 percenters needs more money.

The auto industry really attracts people of low moral character. You see it in the way many of them stiff customers.

Who buys a car in a 2-3 foot blizzard? LOL!

Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
when I lived in CT I couldn't believe Metlife made me come into work Tuesday the day after Sandy swept through. The big whigs don't care really.

Good luck up there, I'm not missing that at all...be safe
You miss it!

Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
All those times it rained over 2" & we said "imagine if it was all snow"... well..... here we go.

Latest qpf & snow forecast. Over 2 inches of liquid all snow! Anyone know how much precip was in the last blizzard?

National Weather Service Forecast Office - Upton, NY

Old 01-26-2015, 01:10 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
WouldLoveTo- I obsessively make sure my gloves are clipped together whenever not in use after losing 1 pricey ski glove. It broke my heart! I feel for you, that really stinks.
I normally do, partly because I have so many riding gloves that I can't find pairs if I keep them separate! It was a Cloudveil from 10 years ago so you get it. I can't imagine where it went to. I walked outside, put it on the passenger seat, drove to work and opened that door again to get my laptop off the floor. I did stop at the store on the way home but I've already retraced all my steps. I'm going to check with the stores lost and found (even though I know I didn't open that door there and I think it noticed it gone before that) so my only two options are a squirrel/bird took it from the driveway, or someone at work put it on my car and I drove off with it unsecured… but the office is in a quiet area and I went back and looked on the streets. Come to think of it, I drove back in to put some salt on the walk before I went to the office, and I would've seen it sitting on the driveway then if I had dropped it. I ripped that entire drawer apart already on the off chance I had only taken one of them. I really don't want to buy another pair so soon because things have a way of turning up - like my headphones that sat for two weeks in a rarely used jacket that I walked to work in recently, but I just can't figure out what happened with this. Logically, it should've been sitting in one of the driveways.

GM - I feel for you! My place rarely closes too, though I remember them shutting own early once last year. I'm anxious to see what they do tomorrow. I have plenty of work for my other jobs to keep me busy at home.

Flakes are bigger now. Plows are aimlessly driving around (not kidding)

Old 01-26-2015, 01:20 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Coming down steadily in WFD.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:28 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I watched Haney this morning and he was way lower. Which meteorologist was this?

I think his name is Mark Dixon. They still have the snow totals up on their (WFSB) website. They also forecast 17" for Block Island RI. (not shown in the picture) that would have to be some kind of record for Block Island.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut