Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry but I just looked at their webpage and do not understand what it says. If you look at the property crime rate for Fairfield, it is under the state average (18.87 for Fairfield verses 19.74 for the state). Violent crime in Fairfield is significantly lower than the state average (0.46 verses 2.63). If both the averages for the state are higher than that in Fairfield, how does the crime rate per square mile end up being higher in Fairfield? Simple logic, it does not make sense.

Jay
I'm not suggesting I that I know whether neighborhood scout is an accurate resource, but it would make perfect sense to have significantly different numbers on a per square mile basis vs. The Raw numbers. For the same reason people here argue that it's unfair to compare crime rates in a city like New Haven vs. most larger cities in other states. Crime stats have a significantly greater impact on smaller areas when you're looking at them from a psm standpoint. I did a quick comparison of Danbury vs. Fairfield -- now I'm nearly close to 100 percent certain that Fairfield has less crime than Danbury (though Danbury overall is a safe city), and am not remotely suggesting that Danbury is safer than Fairfield. But Danbury is larger in land area than Fairfield is, and therefore Danbury has a lower per square mile crime rate than Fairfield does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 11:51 AM

519 posts, read 582,831 times
Quote:
Sorry but I just looked at their webpage and do not understand what it says. If you look at the property crime rate for Fairfield, it is under the state average (18.87 for Fairfield verses 19.74 for the state). Violent crime in Fairfield is significantly lower than the state average (0.46 verses 2.63). If both the averages for the state are higher than that in Fairfield, how does the crime rate per square mile end up being higher in Fairfield? Simple logic, it does not make sense.
IMHO, the principle difference in crime stats between Fairfield and Wilton or Ridgefield most likely comes down to % of commercial area in towns. Fairfield has two thriving commercial centers with Black Rock and the Post Rd. Those commercial areas sadly skew the crime numbers (because to channel John Dillinger that's where the easy crime is). Case in point, it seems several times a year I read about Victoria's Secret on the Post Rd getting robbed. Edge Fitness parking lot is another seemingly habitual spot for car break ins.

Wilton and Ridgefield are far less commercial.

Finally, if the problem was Bridgeport-oriented as some have tried to suggest (and not commercial zone as I am suggesting) you would see higher crime rates in Easton (which (EDIT: borders) change to surrounds Bridgeport as well) and you don't.

Regardless, to suggest that Fairfield is not "safe" (whatever that means in this modern age) is completely ludicrous.

Last edited by larsm; 03-27-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 12:06 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post

Finally, if the problem was Bridgeport-oriented as some have tried to suggest (and not commercial zone as I am suggesting) you would see higher crime rates in Easton (which borders Bridgeport as well) and you don't.

Say what? Easton does not border Bridgeport.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:09 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Crime shouldn't even be a passing thought for someone with a $1MM budget in Fairfield. If it is, then maybe you should be buying a bubble instead of a house.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Say what? Easton does not border Bridgeport.
For all practical purposes as relates to this discussion it does. But I will stipulate that "surrounding" would have been a more accurate word to use. Easton and Bridgeport do not officially border but, the town lines are a half mile from each other.

Certainly my friends that live in Easton do not consider their relationship to Bridgeport from a geographical standpoint any different than Fairfield or Trumbull.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:20 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
For all practical purposes as relates to this discussion it does. But I will stipulate that "surrounding" would have been a more accurate word to use. Easton and Bridgeport do not officially border but, the town lines are a half mile from each other.

Certainly my friends that live in Easton do not consider their relationship to Bridgeport from a geographical standpoint any different than Fairfield or Trumbull.
I disagree, that's very impractical every way I look at it. It's like saying I'm almost pregnant.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I disagree, that's very impractical every way I look at it. It's like saying I'm almost pregnant.
Certainly your prerogative to disagree. But I can assure you, based upon conversations I have had with my friend who is involved in Easton town government, that that is, indeed, the way Easton generally views it.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:49 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Like I said before, there are numerous different classifications of crime. Property crime and violent crime are not the only crimes out there - they are just the two types most people look at. It's similar to ranking schools. Yes a school may rank higher in SAT scores but that only tells a fraction of the story. One major aspect of quality of education IMO is the percentage of students involved in behavioral incidents (which can be found on CeDar) - very seldom do people look at this even though it directly affects a students ability to learn on a daily basis. This is far more important to me than the typical test score rankings. My point is people need to look closer at statistics because that will give you the real story.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:51 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
IMHO, the principle difference in crime stats between Fairfield and Wilton or Ridgefield most likely comes down to % of commercial area in towns. Fairfield has two thriving commercial centers with Black Rock and the Post Rd. Those commercial areas sadly skew the crime numbers (because to channel John Dillinger that's where the easy crime is). Case in point, it seems several times a year I read about Victoria's Secret on the Post Rd getting robbed. Edge Fitness parking lot is another seemingly habitual spot for car break ins.

Wilton and Ridgefield are far less commercial.

Finally, if the problem was Bridgeport-oriented as some have tried to suggest (and not commercial zone as I am suggesting) you would see higher crime rates in Easton (which (EDIT: borders) change to surrounds Bridgeport as well) and you don't.

Regardless, to suggest that Fairfield is not "safe" (whatever that means in this modern age) is completely ludicrous.
I'd be willing to bet that half of Bridgeport residents don't even know where Easton is.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'd be willing to bet that half of Bridgeport residents don't even know where Easton is.
Tell that to the Easton cops that basically hang out at the bottom of Sport Hill road...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut