Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:28 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion or impression of these cities and towns within New Haven County, in terms of desirability to live in? I ask, because if for some reason I get a job in NHC, these are the towns that offer affordable housing for me (no more than $250K). But I want to hear your opinions on them. I have been to all of these cities and towns and here are my general impressions, but I want to see if other people agree with or share my impressions. In general, I'm not crazy about NHC either, but it is a heck of a lot better than FFC, in my opinion.
  1. Waterbury - would absolutely never live there; looks very blighted in most areas; sketchy areas
  2. Meriden - rather ghetto and not impressive, although some outskirt neighborhoods are quite nice
  3. Wolcott - not sure why home prices are affordable here...seems like a decent town, but also meh
  4. Ansonia - very gritty, blue collar and I probably wouldn't fit in, but idk
  5. Derby - very gritty, blue collar and I probably wouldn't fit in, but idk
  6. Hamden - seems pretty decent, convenient and wide selection of neighborhoods
  7. New Haven - college town at the core, surrounded by severe ghetto, blight and high crime
  8. East Haven - seems pretty decent, albeit somewhat gritty
  9. West Haven - seems okay in some parts, but also seems troubled, blighted and gritty
  10. Naugatuck - seems VERY blue collar, gritty, horrible roads, crappy housing, etc.
Are my impressions shared by anyone else?

Last edited by nep321; 04-04-2015 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 08:32 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,948,073 times
You won't like any of them.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
You won't like any of them.
Why?

I like Norwalk, for example. And people say that Norwalk is gritty. But I think it's a diverse, charming city with much to offer. IMO it's one of the best cities in CT. I actually like it. (It's just ultra expensive). I am assuming that most of those NHC cities and towns compare to Norwalk? Hamden and East Haven seem alright. Right?

I had a friend who lived in Naugatuck for 5 years and he doesn't recommend it. He said it's a "low class" town (or borough) in general and I would not fit in, as a well paid white collar person.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:22 PM

Educated guess. You haven't liked anywhere you've lived (I don't buy your Norwalk love affair). So I'm pretty sure you won't like any of these towns.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Educated guess. You haven't liked anywhere you've lived (I don't buy your Norwalk love affair). So I'm pretty sure you won't like any of these towns.
I do like Norwalk. I just don't like the current apartment I'm in, and I don't like how expensive housing is here. But I do like this city. I think it has a New England charm to it. If you don't want to believe me, that's your problem. But I do like Norwalk overall.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I do like Norwalk. I just don't like the current apartment I'm in, and I don't like how expensive housing is here. But I do like this city. I think it has a New England charm to it. If you don't want to believe me, that's your problem. But I do like Norwalk overall.
Me too. Great place I must say

Old 04-05-2015, 12:43 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,763 times
Here we go........

Old 04-05-2015, 12:53 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,352,262 times
Nep, so you like...

Portland
Are you still hooked on with Buffalo and Florida?

Now Cleveland, where the Browns play.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Here we go........
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Nep, not sure why you are asking us about those particular cities. You have complained about every CT city you have ever lived in. In your own words, you describe the above listed cities as "ghetto" and "gritty". You would not like living there. End of story. Move along...

Why am I feeding it.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I actually agree with you to some extent on Norwalk. It's way overpriced. It may be the worst city/town in CT from a value perspective.

Is there a reason Wallingford is not on your list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut