Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2023, 08:06 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Uh not quite. You might be correct but only for the time being.

It's hard to not talk about CT and Mass together because it is connected. You can't go between NYC and Boston without going through CT. In some ways it's the other ends. Mass is more concentrated in Boston, CT is more in FFC and to I91.

Boston was actually smaller back then because neighborhoods used to be towns. Annexation was a thing back in the day. The population o

Uh yeah you CAN go to New Bedford and Fall River to Boston. that rail line starts next year
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/ro...uth-coast-rail

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/10/02...ine-newsletter

As for Springfield yes it is going up from one trip to three a day to Boston. But here's the thing. The biggest regional bottleneck in transit in New England is Springfield to Worcester. Once the track is fixed it will be a huge boost. We cannot ignore the studies that the region lost over 130,000 jobs since 1990
https://crcog.org/rail-improvements-...-impact-study/

I'm going to go to salem this halloween and I live in quiet corner. I'll take the train from new london..why? Because Hartford doesn't go to boston unless it goes down to new haven and then to new london and across. why? Because despite the fact that hartford has way more people the rail between springfield and worcester isn't up to par yet. Congressman Neil just met with Lamont two weeks ago on this.

Covid changed much of the labor market and frankly if someone has a hybrid schedule and can do some work remotely that opens it up. I can't picture someone lugging plumbing supplies or electrical back and forth but administrative checking email and teleworking while on the train is an option. Driving time is a lost time because no one can advocate doing work while driving. It's illegal in much of the country to text and drive. A laptop is much cheaper than a car.

Palmer isn't that far from quiet corner and frankly it's making the housing market abuzz here. Homes are selling fast. If a shuttlebus or van can take someone to Palmer to take a train to Boston that is a huge plus. I predict we're going to see a much more regional transit system in New England in the next two to three years.
Agreed. The mindset in Massachusetts has dramatically changed for the better, and I am hoping it is contagious on Ct. When it comes to mass transit, my generation, the boomers are the roadblocks. We will either recognize the Eisenhower highway is everything mindset will be sharply modified, with us either willing recognizing the need for change, or kicking and screaming. Either way, the states that ADD, not subtract, from mass transit, will leave the rest behind economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 07:08 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Uh not quite. You might be correct but only for the time being.

It's hard to not talk about CT and Mass together because it is connected. You can't go between NYC and Boston without going through CT. In some ways it's the other ends. Mass is more concentrated in Boston, CT is more in FFC and to I91.

Boston was actually smaller back then because neighborhoods used to be towns. Annexation was a thing back in the day. The population o

Uh yeah you CAN go to New Bedford and Fall River to Boston. that rail line starts next year
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/ro...uth-coast-rail

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/10/02...ine-newsletter

As for Springfield yes it is going up from one trip to three a day to Boston. But here's the thing. The biggest regional bottleneck in transit in New England is Springfield to Worcester. Once the track is fixed it will be a huge boost. We cannot ignore the studies that the region lost over 130,000 jobs since 1990
https://crcog.org/rail-improvements-...-impact-study/

I'm going to go to salem this halloween and I live in quiet corner. I'll take the train from new london..why? Because Hartford doesn't go to boston unless it goes down to new haven and then to new london and across. why? Because despite the fact that hartford has way more people the rail between springfield and worcester isn't up to par yet. Congressman Neil just met with Lamont two weeks ago on this.

Covid changed much of the labor market and frankly if someone has a hybrid schedule and can do some work remotely that opens it up. I can't picture someone lugging plumbing supplies or electrical back and forth but administrative checking email and teleworking while on the train is an option. Driving time is a lost time because no one can advocate doing work while driving. It's illegal in much of the country to text and drive. A laptop is much cheaper than a car.

Palmer isn't that far from quiet corner and frankly it's making the housing market abuzz here. Homes are selling fast. If a shuttlebus or van can take someone to Palmer to take a train to Boston that is a huge plus. I predict we're going to see a much more regional transit system in New England in the next two to three years.
I did not say that there will never be train service from New Bedford and Fall River to Boston. I said you can’t get there TODAY. This service is LONG overdue.

If you live in The Quiet Corner, why would you go to New London, let alone Hartford which is in the opposite direction, to get a train into Boston? That makes no sense. It would be much faster and more direct for you to go to Worcester for a train. It would likely be cheaper and faster. Jay

Old 10-04-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Agreed. The mindset in Massachusetts has dramatically changed for the better, and I am hoping it is contagious on Ct. When it comes to mass transit, my generation, the boomers are the roadblocks. We will either recognize the Eisenhower highway is everything mindset will be sharply modified, with us either willing recognizing the need for change, or kicking and screaming. Either way, the states that ADD, not subtract, from mass transit, will leave the rest behind economically.
You have it completely backwards. Connecticut has been investing heavily in mass transit for DECADES. Certainly long before Massachusetts has outside of greater Boston. That’s why we have Shoreline East and CTrail. Massachusetts is only now looking into extending rail service beyond greater Boston.

Also note that the past several Commissioners of Transportation at CTDOT have come from rail backgrounds. That was deliberate. It’s why we have invested billions in improved rail service around the state and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

That said we can’t ignore our highways either. Remember much of the money for mass transit comes from the gas tax. Drivers would not tolerate the state spending all that revenue on mass transit. Jay

Old 10-04-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You have it completely backwards. Connecticut has been investing heavily in mass transit for DECADES. Certainly long before Massachusetts has outside of greater Boston. That’s why we have Shoreline East and CTrail. Massachusetts is only now looking into extending rail service beyond greater Boston.
Our secondary lines like SE, Waterbury, etc hardly run robust Rush Hour schedules.

We also have a train ride to NYC that is much longer than it was in 2010. Lamont's initiatives may get our 2010 run time back by the end of next decade.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Our secondary lines like SE, Waterbury, etc hardly run robust Rush Hour schedules.

We also have a train ride to NYC that is much longer than it was in 2010. Lamont's initiatives may get our 2010 run time back by the end of next decade.
I disagree. The state is making improvements on both Waterbury and Danbury lines. They have decent service for their ridership numbers.

Shoreline East has very good rush hour service. Certainly it serves its riders well. I’m not sure how much more anyone can need or want. Jay

Old 10-05-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I disagree. The state is making improvements on both Waterbury and Danbury lines. They have decent service for their ridership numbers.

Shoreline East has very good rush hour service. Certainly it serves its riders well. I’m not sure how much more anyone can need or want. Jay
SE has no morning rush hour service going East, Jay. If they truly want to build a line, it needs hourly, at minimum, rush hour service, 5 to 8, both directions. The SE schedule dooms it to the failure it is. The Waterbury line is not much, if any better.

Old 10-05-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
SE has no morning rush hour service going East, Jay. If they truly want to build a line, it needs hourly, at minimum, rush hour service, 5 to 8, both directions. The SE schedule dooms it to the failure it is. The Waterbury line is not much, if any better.
There is eastbound service in the morning but it’s limited because hardly anyone is going that way then. Jay

https://shorelineeast.com/schedules/trip-planner/

Old 10-05-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
There is eastbound service in the morning but it’s limited because hardly anyone is going that way then. Jay

https://shorelineeast.com/schedules/trip-planner/
Leaving New Haven 5:20 am , then 8:05 am, thus no rush hour service to points East of NH during the morning rush.

Oddly, they have a 6:50 am out of NH on weekends.

I wonder if Charley Pratt or Floyd Smoot (Cannonball, Petticoat Junction) devised the insane schedule.

Run as it is, the line should be eliminated, as its useless. That is why ridership from day one has stunk on Ct auxiliary lines. Hopefully, our next governor is pro Mass Transit, in action. No Jay, I do not care about Lamont's press conference. I measure actions.

PDF of schedule shows it best!

https://shorelineeast.com/wp-content..._8.5x11R11.pdf

Old 10-05-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Leaving New Haven 5:20 am , then 8:05 am, thus no rush hour service to points East of NH during the morning rush.

Oddly, they have a 6:50 am out of NH on weekends.

I wonder if Charley Pratt or Floyd Smoot (Cannonball, Petticoat Junction) devised the insane schedule.

Run as it is, the line should be eliminated, as its useless. That is why ridership from day one has stunk on Ct auxiliary lines. Hopefully, our next governor is pro Mass Transit, in action. No Jay, I do not care about Lamont's press conference. I measure actions.

PDF of schedule shows it best!

https://shorelineeast.com/wp-content..._8.5x11R11.pdf
What??? I’m sure most of the current riders of SLE will disagree with you, as do I.

Most commuters on the line are going westbound in the morning (into New Haven) and eastbound in the evening (out of New Haven). That’s how the trains are scheduled. The other directions have few, if any riders. Jay

Old 10-05-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
If you build it, they will come. I remember when I started using Shoreline East 15-20 years ago -- there were 1 or 2 passengers per car. And in some stations conductors used a wood stool to unload passengers.

But later they built better stations, service improved, and trains started to fill up. Now, SLE is packed on weekend and commuting times. I actually prefer SLE over Metro-North trains, although they are diesel.
In the pre covid era, Shoreline East volume was rising, and service in both directions, was better.

Many here ignore that fact.

Henry's Post is from 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut