Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2024, 10:28 AM

14,083 posts, read 14,004,761 times

Advertisements

Sadly, four died in another wrong way crash in CT it is dangerous on roads

https://www.wfsb.com/2024/05/09/rout...outputType=amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 10:44 AM

21,846 posts, read 28,220,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Sadly, four died in another wrong way crash in CT it is dangerous on roads

https://www.wfsb.com/2024/05/09/rout...outputType=amp
Terrible. I don’t remember these happening so often until the last few years.

Old 05-12-2024, 01:47 PM

14,083 posts, read 14,004,761 times
Should CT invested in a mobile overpass bridge like Switzerland which is used to carry out road work without stopping traffic

The ASTRA Bridge is a mobile construction site bridge designed for use in maintenance work on motorways. While traffic rolls over the bridge, construction work can be carried out under the bridge. This makes it possible to work during the day without traffic closures and diversions. On the oncoming lane, there is usually no need to reduce lane widths or reduce speed. In addition, the construction site can be kept shorter locally.

The spatial separation of traffic and maintenance work increases the safety of road users and the occupational safety of construction site personnel. The staff is also protected from traffic noise and weather and there is no need for stressful night work. Since noisy work such as milling and paving installation can now be carried out during the day, there is no construction noise at night. This relieves the burden on the residents.

The construction site bridge can be used, among other things, for paving work, replacing road crossings or repairing bridges. Trucks with low-bed trailers and large cranes are required for assembly and dismantling.

The bridge has an integrated hydraulic system and synchronized driving wheels. It doesn't get dismantled after every road segment is complete. Instead it drives to the next location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymyIEGRw4-U

https://www-astra-admin-ch.translate..._x_tr_pto=wapp

Old 05-12-2024, 03:34 PM

35,060 posts, read 57,152,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Should CT invested in a mobile overpass bridge like Switzerland which is used to carry out road work without stopping traffic

The ASTRA Bridge is a mobile construction site bridge designed for use in maintenance work on motorways. While traffic rolls over the bridge, construction work can be carried out under the bridge. This makes it possible to work during the day without traffic closures and diversions. On the oncoming lane, there is usually no need to reduce lane widths or reduce speed. In addition, the construction site can be kept shorter locally.

The spatial separation of traffic and maintenance work increases the safety of road users and the occupational safety of construction site personnel. The staff is also protected from traffic noise and weather and there is no need for stressful night work. Since noisy work such as milling and paving installation can now be carried out during the day, there is no construction noise at night. This relieves the burden on the residents.

The construction site bridge can be used, among other things, for paving work, replacing road crossings or repairing bridges. Trucks with low-bed trailers and large cranes are required for assembly and dismantling.

The bridge has an integrated hydraulic system and synchronized driving wheels. It doesn't get dismantled after every road segment is complete. Instead it drives to the next location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymyIEGRw4-U

https://www-astra-admin-ch.translate..._x_tr_pto=wapp
That’s a pretty big bridge to erect for a temporary paving operation. Traffic certainly has to be disrupted just to erect it so why not just deal with the repaving operation directly.

Connecticut DOT has purchased a giant lift vehicle for its Accelarated Bridge Construction program. They build the bridge deck off line and then move it into place with the lift. It minimizes roadway down time and lane closures. Pretty advanced stuff.

Old 05-12-2024, 03:40 PM

7,046 posts, read 3,821,864 times
I was enjoying a beautiful day in a CT forest yeserday up in Weston. Decided to hit up my favorite thai asian eatery in Southport (it blows away any restaurant in Rowayton) on the way back a little out of the way.
WHAT - A - MISTAKE. I should have known better.
Is Westport ever not a complet and utter disaster on the weekends? Jesus Mary of God what the hell is going on? A couple of Fairfielders told me they got stuck somehwere too. Apparently it was all over FB and social media. No wonder Beersisgood moved, smart move.
Only God can help CT now

Old 05-12-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I was enjoying a beautiful day in a CT forest yeserday up in Weston. Decided to hit up my favorite thai asian eatery in Southport (it blows away any restaurant in Rowayton) on the way back a little out of the way.
Is Westport ever not a complet and utter disaster on the weekends? Jesus Mary of God what the hell is going on? A couple of Fairfielders told me they got stuck somehwere too. Apparently it was all over FB and social media. No wonder Beersisgood moved, smart move.
Only God can help CT now
Wait a couple weeks for when school gets out and Westporters head to their second homes on Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard or the Hampton’s.

Did you get there? What the name of the restaurant?

Old 05-12-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wait a couple weeks for when school gets out and Westporters head to their second homes on Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard or the Hampton’s.

Did you get there? What the name of the restaurant?
I got there, the issue was getting home after. Mamma Chow, part of an unnattractive strip mall on US1 Southport across from the guady looking greek diner. They don't have ugly strip malls and tacky diners in Rowayton. Tremendous food though, I'm sure Stylo knows it well. Never had a bad meal at the Grey Goose nearby either, awesome place. Two of my favorites around

Old 05-12-2024, 06:45 PM

21,846 posts, read 28,220,694 times
Quote:
Only God can help CT now
Mama Chow? Good stuff.

Edit: saw the post after.

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I got there, the issue was getting home after. Mamma Chow, part of an unnattractive strip mall on US1 Southport across from the guady looking greek diner. They don't have ugly strip malls and tacky diners in Rowayton. Tremendous food though, I'm sure Stylo knows it well. Never had a bad meal at the Grey Goose nearby either, awesome place. Two of my favorites around
Route 1 doesn’t run through Rowayton like it does in Southport. The problem I find with Rowayton is you kind of have to go through a sketchy part of Norwalk to get to it from the east. Thats not very attractive and can be scary.

I don’t think the Mama Chow building is “unattractive” or the diner is “gaudy”. Both are pretty nice for Route 1. Mama Chow’s is a little plain but its muted brown/beige color and the green awnings help give it a little upscale boost. The Southport Diner has a shiny art deco design that is very stylish.

Old Today, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Route 1 doesn’t run through Rowayton like it does in Southport. The problem I find with Rowayton is you kind of have to go through a sketchy part of Norwalk to get to it from the east. Thats not very attractive and can be scary.

I don’t think the Mama Chow building is “unattractive” or the diner is “gaudy”. Both are pretty nice for Route 1. Mama Chow’s is a little plain but its muted brown/beige color and the green awnings help give it a little upscale boost. The Southport Diner has a shiny art deco design that is very stylish.
Palestine and the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland are scary..
Half of Darien and New Canaan spend their weekends at the ice rink on Wilson and the fieldhouse. All the hockey and soccer moms in Hokas leashing aussies.
Next time just take Flax Hill and Highland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut