Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2020, 10:24 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

Good work Cambium. You're up and running!

I'm in an apartment but my daffodils have been in bloom for a few days so that makes me happy. They're the ones I planted last fall, tete a tete, the short ones that bloom early. But I have never seen them bloom THIS early.

All sorts of bulb leaves are coming up.

Got to get some potting soil and start some spinach. The only flowers I start from seed are Nasturtiums. They are so easy--great big seeds that you just stick into the soil, water them, and BOOM. Big beautiful flowers. The ads always say they "thrive on neglect" so if anyone wants something yellow and easy, this is a good one. Good for hanging pots too.

I think it's safe to get out there and rake the leaves off everything, having looked at next week's weather forecast. A light dusting of snow isn't going to hurt them. And we will be into mid March soon. What can happen? (well...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 11:29 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
[quote=in_newengland;57491792. The only flowers I start from seed are Nasturtiums. They are so easy--great big seeds that you just stick into the soil, water them, and BOOM. Big beautiful flowers. The ads always say they "thrive on neglect" so if anyone wants something yellow and easy, this is a good one. Good for hanging pots too.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh, thanks for the reminder!!! I saved some hanging pots so instead of buying flowers to put in it, I'm gonna start from seeds. I'll check out the Nasturtiums.

Regarding "neglect"... try Hydretain. Impressive (expensive) stuff! It keeps plants lasting longer with less water.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:49 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,547 times
I am sure there is a wealth of information somewhere, but I know I can trust the CT folks to come up with relevant answers to a simple question. What vegetables can I plant right now or soon, either inside or outside? I have the following seeds with instructions that look like I could start planting pretty soon... Maybe someone could advise, if you have grown these:

- Carrots, outside, now? The package says average soil temp of 45.
- Collard greens, inside, 8 weeks before last frost
- Tomatoes inside, 6-8 weeks before last frost
- Spinach outside (?), "several weeks" before last frost?

I appreciate any advice... My results last year were pretty pathetic, because I didn't plan much in advance.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:41 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
Transplanted last week and started my second set of veggies, everything is dong healthy and hardening has begun. Also some onions stayed behind and came up this year!

Old 03-25-2020, 05:19 AM

Started hardening off with no insulated covering downstairs and the fan on with less light. Today they moved upstairs to the table and go outside to get some real sun.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Started hardening off with no insulated covering downstairs and the fan on with less light. Today they moved upstairs to the table and go outside to get some real sun.
Too soon. We'll still get freezing mornings and frost. Unless you'll be bringing them inside for next 4 weeks? I'm getting the itch too.

BTW - your pics from last couple yrs aren't showing up anymore.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:35 AM

Peppers doing good.

1st time in 17yrs of gardening I am growing flowers.

I wasn't going to do Potatoes this year but given whats happening out there I figured....why not.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Too soon. We'll still get freezing mornings and frost. Unless you'll be bringing them inside for next 4 weeks? I'm getting the itch too.

BTW - your pics from last couple yrs aren't showing up anymore.
Yours are all looking great too! I should preface that my hardening may work differently. I don't leave them out, they only go when it's warm and sunny on the deck for a couple hours (yesterday 1-4). Then come back inside.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Yours are all looking great too! I should preface that my hardening may work differently. I don't leave them out, they only go when it's warm and sunny on the deck for a couple hours (yesterday 1-4). Then come back inside.
Ahh, thanks. I figured. Little more work to do but why not.
I usually start end of April for the warm weather crops and take just 8-12 days bringing them in and out..

I will probably sow the lettuce and peas next week. Not looking like a warm stretch of weather coming though.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:35 AM

442 posts, read 455,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ahh, thanks. I figured. Little more work to do but why not.
I usually start end of April for the warm weather crops and take just 8-12 days bringing them in and out..

I will probably sow the lettuce and peas next week. Not looking like a warm stretch of weather coming though.
We still had snow on the lawn this morning...everywhere but the deck and the driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut