Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 10:02 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,150,399 times

Advertisements

Charter Oak Place too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 12:31 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Nice article on the developers of the $100 million redevelopment of Pratt Street and the area around it. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...yiu-story.html

Old 05-15-2021, 08:02 AM

Downtown’s historic Bond Residences is Planning a $1 million restoration to bring back some of the charm of the original 100 year old hotel. That’s great to hear. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...wh4-story.html

Old 05-26-2021, 06:20 AM

The city is considering closing Brainard Airport and opening up the land to development. In such a small (only 17 square miles) and land hungry city, to have so much land dedicated to a low density use seems silly. On the other hand the airport serves an important purpose in the region and there is a significant lack of alternative facilities to absorb the services the airport currently provides. Hopefully the city realizes this and will take that into account. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...4xy-story.html

Old 05-26-2021, 01:49 PM

506 posts, read 478,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The city is considering closing Brainard Airport and opening up the land to development. In such a small (only 17 square miles) and land hungry city, to have so much land dedicated to a low density use seems silly. On the other hand the airport serves an important purpose in the region and there is a significant lack of alternative facilities to absorb the services the airport currently provides. Hopefully the city realizes this and will take that into account. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...4xy-story.html
I think they should redevelop. The airport does play a role in transportation/infrastructure in the region, but Brainard has been limited to what size and number of planes it can have since the 1930s because of a shorter runway and being next to the river (environmental). Looking at Wikipedia it looks like Brainard had a total of 53 passenger boardings in 2016, compared to 27,911 at Tweed and 2,982,194 at Bradley. Brainard is considered one of the state's three reliever airports, with the others being Danbury and Plainville. In theory, Plainville might be able to take up some of Brainard's traffic (though neighbors might fight it) and Bradley can take the rest.

Because Hartford has such little land to redevelop, this would be perfect. And, there would be no locals to fight against "gentrification" or displacement because nobody lives near the airport. It's almost all industrial and commercial. There are no NIMBYs around there, which is a rarity in the region. Actually, I think a lot of people would be in favor of it.

If they could build some kind of transit connection to downtown (bus or train) from there, I could see the Brainard area turning into one of the state's premier transit-oriented developments. Maybe they can do a trolley that also connects Coltsville. It has riverfront views and is isolated from the rest of the city by highways (which some residents might find appealing). I think Hartford could really use something like that.

The entirety of downtown Hartford could fit comfortably within the current boundaries of the airport, not even counting the neighboring industrial plots. We're talking about a huge area with tremendous potential. I'm picturing something like Harbor Point in Stamford.

Environmental cleanup would be costly and they'd have to do something about the sewer plant, but I'd be excited to see them try.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:47 PM

989 posts, read 601,964 times
I think it should redevelop. To put those above ridership numbers in perspective...

over 500 times as many people use Tweed. Over 56 THOUSAND times as many use Bradley.

This, in my mind, is a no brainer and clearly Hartford would be better off developing that land. Airport wise the state should really just focus on Bradley and Tweed. Bradley's already successful and Tweed is the only one where the market is large enough and there's available land nearby.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:41 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
I think it should redevelop. To put those above ridership numbers in perspective...

over 500 times as many people use Tweed. Over 56 THOUSAND times as many use Bradley.

This, in my mind, is a no brainer and clearly Hartford would be better off developing that land. Airport wise the state should really just focus on Bradley and Tweed. Bradley's already successful and Tweed is the only one where the market is large enough and there's available land nearby.
Agreed. It simply is not used anywhere near enough.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:16 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,187,342 times
Just don't close it till they receive guaranteed commitments. Seen too many places closed by eminent domain that never saw the light of day.
Certainly a good idea to better utilize the land though

Old 06-02-2021, 01:48 PM

One of South Green’s biggest problems may be moving. With all the new housing development proposed or under construction in this area, this is good news. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...5ya-story.html

Old 06-16-2021, 07:21 AM

A prominent corner in downtown is slated for a massive makeover as part of Hartford Healthcare’s move to consolidate its offices downtown. This looks great and will bring more than 700 workers to the heart of the city. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...fku-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut