Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2022, 04:10 AM

281 posts, read 345,214 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what they're building at the corner of Congress and Main downtown? It was a parking lot used mostly by the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 10:43 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Watkins View Post
Anyone know what they're building at the corner of Congress and Main downtown? It was a parking lot used mostly by the police.
That is the site of Primrose’s Park City Ice Palace which is an ice skating rink and training facility. Jay

Ice Rink, Apartments Proposed For Downtown – Only In Bridgeport®

Old 11-20-2022, 04:22 AM

281 posts, read 345,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is the site of Primrose’s Park City Ice Palace which is an ice skating rink and training facility. Jay

Ice Rink, Apartments Proposed For Downtown – Only In Bridgeport®

Wow. I thought that idea was scrapped. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Watkins View Post
Wow. I thought that idea was scrapped. Thanks.
I thought so too but that’s the only thing I could find for that site. I wouldn’t hold me to that though. Jay

Old 11-22-2022, 09:32 PM

Holy cow! This is unbelievable. Testo’s Restaurant, the headquarters for Bridgeport politics, has been sold and will close at the end of the year. The property will be redeveloped for residential use. Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/bridge...rtments-report

Old 11-23-2022, 07:31 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Holy cow! This is unbelievable. Testo’s Restaurant, the headquarters for Bridgeport politics, has been sold and will close at the end of the year. The property will be redeveloped for residential use. Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/bridge...rtments-report
Anyone who lives in the Bridgeport area knows that is a big deal. The owner Mario Testo IS basically Bridgeport politics (for better or worse). I am from Stamford and I really didn't know about Bridgeport politics when I moved to Trumbull but I about know him now.

Democratic Town Chairman Mario Testa Sells Restaurant, Magnet For City Politics
Democratic Town Chairman Mario Testa Sells Restaurant, Magnet For City Politics – Only In Bridgeport®

Old 11-26-2022, 08:49 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Anyone who lives in the Bridgeport area knows that is a big deal. The owner Mario Testo IS basically Bridgeport politics (for better or worse). I am from Stamford and I really didn't know about Bridgeport politics when I moved to Trumbull but I about know him now.

Democratic Town Chairman Mario Testa Sells Restaurant, Magnet For City Politics
Democratic Town Chairman Mario Testa Sells Restaurant, Magnet For City Politics – Only In Bridgeport®
Worse. Corruption personified

Old 11-28-2022, 12:53 PM

23 posts, read 15,018 times
So far been here for about 4 years and much has changed in short amount of time…I use to visit family on the east end as a kid and it was really bad back than unfortunately many of the long time residents do not like the change and feel like they will be priced out…I was told testo’s restaurant that is walking distance from my home was the reason Bridgeport been so corrupt and now he will be gone things will get interesting here…So much potential I really feel in 10 years if they can find a way to fix the schools it can rid much of its stigma that is mostly built on the past

Old 11-29-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxdude10472 View Post
So far been here for about 4 years and much has changed in short amount of time…I use to visit family on the east end as a kid and it was really bad back than unfortunately many of the long time residents do not like the change and feel like they will be priced out…I was told testo’s restaurant that is walking distance from my home was the reason Bridgeport been so corrupt and now he will be gone things will get interesting here…So much potential I really feel in 10 years if they can find a way to fix the schools it can rid much of its stigma that is mostly built on the past
I do not think you can blame Testo’s Restaurant for Bridgeport’s problems. They existed LONG before Testo’s was there. Unfortunately the restaurant closing will not necessarily mean things will change either. It just means the main gathering spot for key Bridgeport politicians will change.

Also note that unfortunately one of the results of improvements (a.k.a. Gentrification) is it prices some people out of the market. Not much you can do about that though. It’s more “do you want improvements or not”. You have to accept the good with the bad. Jay

Old 11-29-2022, 10:43 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
I do not think you can blame Testo’s Restaurant for Bridgeport’s problems. They existed LONG before Testo’s was there. Unfortunately the restaurant closing will not necessarily mean things will change either. It just means the main gathering spot for key Bridgeport politicians will change.

Also note that unfortunately one of the results of improvements (a.k.a. Gentrification) is it prices some people out of the market. Not much you can do about that though. It’s more “do you want improvements or not”. You have to accept the good with the bad. Jay
Not necessarily. An area doesn't always have to gentrify and push people out to improve. I know that's often the case, but it's not inevitable. There's a neighborhood in Chicago's South Side called (coincidentally) Bridgeport, that has experienced a revitalization of sorts without going from one extreme (severe urban decay) to another (over-gentrification). Back in 2014, researchers from U. of IL Chicago reviewed the trends of all 77 Chicago neighborhoods, ranking them into nine categories from "stable upper/middle class" to "severe declines". Of all the neighborhoods, only nine were gentrifying. While not considered one of these areas that was gentrifying, Bridgeport was considered "improving." That is to say, the neighborhood is on the upswing as it is becoming more integrated and desirable, without gouging longtime residents to the point where they can no longer afford to live there. A hard thing to pull off, but it can happen. I'm hoping we can see a similar pattern follow in Bridgeport, Connecticut. We'll see, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut