Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 12:30 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Graphic design jobs are primarily in lower Fairfield County. There's about 10 big agencies, and then a lot of smaller agencies and client-side jobs. So you'll have a bit of a commute. There's nowhere near the availability of jobs in NYC for graphic design, of course, and if you move to the towns you mentioned, you're outside the realm of a reasonable daily commute.

To lower FFC, southwestern Newtown can work. Bethel is better. Gives you good access to Wilton, Westport, Norwalk where a lot of jobs are. It becomes tough traffic-wise once you need to get to Darien or Stamford, which have a lot of design jobs too.

A house in Norwalk or Stamford would put you really close to available jobs, if you don't mind that the schools are average, and you could commute to NYC by train if needed. $400k would buy a decent house in Norwalk.

Insurance adjuster jobs are pretty non-specific, geographically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 12:35 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey_lyn View Post
Hello Connecticutians!

My fiance and I presently live in Suffolk County on Long Island are are strongly considering moving out of state to have a better quality of life. We have friends all over Connecticut, but are considering the Newtown and New Fairfield areas. We are looking for areas with established (not manufactured) communities, yardage (.75 acres) with trees, and nearby local and big box stores and restarants. Are we on the right track? Are there other recommendations you may have?

I am a graphic designer, and my fiance works as an auto damage adjuster for GEICO, how are job markets in the area?

Anything else we should know..traffic? entertainment? taxes?

I am pulling for CT as our alternative is NC and since both of our families are in NY, I'd like to be nearby. Will welcome any suggestions. Our most important factors are good schools, taxes and jobs!
You are definitely on a good track. The Danbury area (where Newtown and New Fairfield are located) are quite beautiful and affordable by New York standards. As long as you are not expecting it to be as busy and active as Long Island you will be fine. The question is how much can you afford to pay and what do you expect for that price. There is traffic in the area but nothing like Long Island. And taxes can be high but again no where near what is common on Long Island. Entertainment may be limited. There are things like restaurants and movie theaters, just don't expect there to be a lot of other choices of things like museums, art galleries and live theater. Danbury and Bethel have a lot of great shopping options including the big box stores, a great mall (one of the best in the state) and a lot of local restaurants. You should be able to find a home that is on a larger lot with trees in a neighborhood that is not large-scale cookie-cutter. I think you will like it. Jay

Old 09-10-2015, 12:36 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
The job (or the securing of one) should dictate where you live. For example, a job in Stamford with these towns mentioned or requested means your life is officially over unless you prefer spending 2-3 hours/day travelling to and from work. Also, with the exception of Shelton, the tax mill rates are obscenely high, though under $400K there will give you a nice home and lot size.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:40 PM

46 posts, read 62,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Graphic design jobs are primarily in lower Fairfield County. There's about 10 big agencies, and then a lot of smaller agencies and client-side jobs. So you'll have a bit of a commute. There's nowhere near the availability of jobs in NYC for graphic design, of course, and if you move to the towns you mentioned, you're outside the realm of a reasonable daily commute.

To lower FFC, southwestern Newtown can work. Bethel is better. Gives you good access to Wilton, Westport, Norwalk where a lot of jobs are. It becomes tough traffic-wise once you need to get to Darien or Stamford, which have a lot of design jobs too.

A house in Norwalk or Stamford would put you really close to available jobs, if you don't mind that the schools are average, and you could commute to NYC by train if needed. $400k would buy a decent house in Norwalk.

Insurance adjuster jobs are pretty non-specific, geographically.

Ah the old "NYer wants to be near NYC." I definitely have absolutely ZERO desire to work in the city. I grew up in Westchester, live in Suffolk County now, and refuse, REFUSE to be one of those people (no offense, I just can't do it).

If a commute to manhattan is out of the picture, would you still recommend those areas? I work for Stony Brook University now, and really would rather work in a similar environment (small business, college, etc) than an agency (I actually freelance wedding stationery design), but would take it if I had to.

I hesitate to ask about anything on the train line because your prices of homes and taxes skyrocket because they're assumining city salaries and commuters. So I think, unless you know of a affordable town that is an exception to this rule, I'd rather be a bit northwest.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:58 PM

814 posts, read 911,368 times
Quote:
Ah the old "NYer wants to be near NYC." I definitely have absolutely ZERO desire to work in the city. I grew up in Westchester, live in Suffolk County now, and refuse, REFUSE to be one of those people (no offense, I just can't do it).

If a commute to manhattan is out of the picture, would you still recommend those areas? I work for Stony Brook University now, and really would rather work in a similar environment (small business, college, etc) than an agency (I actually freelance wedding stationery design), but would take it if I had to.

I hesitate to ask about anything on the train line because your prices of homes and taxes skyrocket because they're assumining city salaries and commuters. So I think, unless you know of a affordable town that is an exception to this rule, I'd rather be a bit northwest.
God bless ya cause I felt the same way when I was looking into Connecticut. I could care less about Manhattan, have made a decent living without ever having to go work in the city, and the rat race high stress commutes I think I will pass.

Eventually I wound up in Virginia but I was born and raised in Putnam/Northern Westchester area of New York.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:59 PM

519 posts, read 582,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
I'm assuming the poster means to 15? Closest point is about 10 minutes to 15....but around 20 minutes to 95
Closest point to 15 in Easton is under a minute (homes in lower Sport Hill area). And 95 is more like 12 to 15 I would guess from same area in lower Easton.

Easton is very nice (and a great rural feel), but it has a property tax problem compared to nearby towns.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:00 PM

23 posts, read 21,800 times
That should have read, Quicker access. . . as compared to Newtown that was mentioned in the OP.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:02 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Easton is very nice (and a great rural feel), but it has a property tax problem compared to nearby towns.
Not compared to neighboring Trumbull and Monroe, who both have high property taxes...

Old 09-10-2015, 01:03 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:

90% of the design jobs will be in lower FFC, agency or not. You may find something in northern FFC, but it's rare.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:05 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Closest point to 15 in Easton is under a minute (homes in lower Sport Hill area). And 95 is more like 12 to 15 I would guess from same area in lower Easton.

You are right. The Parkway interchange at Easton Turnpike (Route 59) is within 1000 feet of the Easton border. Mill River is just north of Congress Street where the southbound ramps for the Parkway are. That is the border line between Fairfield and Easton. So a person could live in lower Easton and be a couple of minutes to the Parkway. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut