Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 01:44 PM

31 posts, read 29,944 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a travel nurse coming to work in Bridgeport from Dec-Feb and am looking for an apartment or house to rent for 3 months (Hoping to be around $2000/month). I have heard I should avoid staying in the immediate area around the hospital. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for nice, safe, neighborhoods, areas, or complexes to look at. I found the Heights at Golden Hill (225 Golden Hill St) but was unsure as to the area. I am open to looking at the surrounding area (Stratford, Milford, etc) but just hoping to keep my commute under 20 min if possible.
Thanks so much for any suggestions you have!

Last edited by trail_hiker; 10-28-2015 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 02:08 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trail_hiker View Post
Hello,
I am a travel nurse coming to work in Bridgeport from Dec-Feb and am looking for an apartment or house to rent for 3 months. I have heard I should avoid staying in the immediate area around the hospital. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for nice, safe, neighborhoods, areas, or complexes to look at. I found the Heights at Golden Hill (225 Golden Hill St) but was unsure as to the area. I am open to looking at the surrounding area (Stratford, Milford, etc) but just hoping to keep my commute under 20 min if possible.
u should check out fairfield as well, not sure what ur budget is but if its only a few months, u should check out the surrounding areas. Think they would have more to offer

Old 10-28-2015, 02:37 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Check out the Stoneleigh Square Condos in Stratford or Avalon in Shelton CT. Does the agency offer up any housing. Normally old hospital worked at they did 3 month stints stayed at a Hotel or worked with a property association in the area where everyone stayed. Because most lessees were contracted for a year was a 3 to 4 month lease.

Because there is the Residence Inn on Shelton and Homewood Suites in Stratford.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:01 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Check out the Stoneleigh Square Condos in Stratford or Avalon in Shelton CT. Does the agency offer up any housing. Normally old hospital worked at they did 3 month stints stayed at a Hotel or worked with a property association in the area where everyone stayed. Because most lessees were contracted for a year was a 3 to 4 month lease.

Because there is the Residence Inn on Shelton and Homewood Suites in Stratford.
The hospital I worked at had lots of travel nurses; some stayed in downtown New Haven (mainly foreign nurses without cars), others stayed in very nice apartment complexes (Avalon and similar) or a condo complex at the beach. The employing agency had these accommodations and everything was provided - dishes, pots, pans, linens, etc. the nurses only brought their clothes and personal items. For a 3-month stay, this made sense. If your agency does not provide housing, then a Residence Inn or other longer-stay hotel is the way to go. You would not want to deal with a lease, utility turn-ons, etc. or maybe you could rent an "in-law apartment" in someone's home that includes utilities. Some people might be renting to travel nurses. Will you be bringing a car with you?

Old 10-28-2015, 03:08 PM

^^^^Exact thought's usually travel agency will set you up.

Knew a great travel nurse can't remember the company contracted for 3 month's but stayed six went home for a month came back for another 3. Set up in a hotel first three months the rest at a condo complex. Only had to bring their clothes.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:23 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
$2000/month will actually get you quite a lot of apartment in Bridgeport itself (though the area will likely not be very safe). Even right around it $2000/month would probably get a lot.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:52 PM

31 posts, read 29,944 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions. The company does offer housing but I always try to arrange on my own if available as then I have a choice in the accommodations.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:57 PM

Which Hospital St Vs or BH?

Old 10-29-2015, 07:15 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trail_hiker View Post
Hello,
I am a travel nurse coming to work in Bridgeport from Dec-Feb and am looking for an apartment or house to rent for 3 months (Hoping to be around $2000/month). I have heard I should avoid staying in the immediate area around the hospital. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for nice, safe, neighborhoods, areas, or complexes to look at. I found the Heights at Golden Hill (225 Golden Hill St) but was unsure as to the area. I am open to looking at the surrounding area (Stratford, Milford, etc) but just hoping to keep my commute under 20 min if possible.
You do not say which hospital you will be working at, Bridgeport or St. Vincent's. Golden Hill is downtown. It is not horrible but that area is undergoing a redevelopment so it may not be to your liking at the moment. Still being downtown provides you access to the bus station so you can get pretty much anywhere in the city easily.

If you are working at St. Vincent's, the North End would be good for you. Stay west of Main Street if possible, though the area around the hospital itself is not bad either. If you will be working at Bridgeport Hospital, you need to be careful. This is the East Side and is one of the more problem areas of the city. You might want to look for a place in the Beardsley Park neighborhood or over in Stratford which is the town to the east. Check bus routes serving the hospital though to be sure you won't have a problem if using mass transit. Jay

Old 10-29-2015, 07:17 AM

453 posts, read 530,795 times
If you have a car, your budget is $2,000 a month, and you don't mind a 20 minute commute - don't live in Bridgeport. There are nice rental communities in Shelton and Trumbull that I would recommend. I might recommend the Black Rock section of Bridgeport if you were here in the summer months (A nice area of Bridgeport on the water), but while you're here you'll be inside the majority of the time anyway in Dec-Feb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut