Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 13,239 times

Advertisements

Married Asian american couple with two young daughters, I work in the city in entertainment/media, my wife does not work. Liberal in worldview but conservative fiscally.

Really like a house in Darien, its beaches, and schools. I have friends/colleagues leaving in nearby Rowayton, Greenwich, New Cannan etc. But the town's lack of diversity worries me. would we fit in and feel welcome there? A google search or two reveals that until recently Darien is still labeled a sundown town.

Any residents with an objective (personal) view please?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:58 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Darien is a beautiful town with a lot to offer but according to data on the Connecticut Economic Resource Center website only about 520 of the 19,000 residents there are Pacific Asian. Most people there do not care about your ethnic background and would welcome you and your family as they would anyone else. Still you may not be comfortable being the only Asian at an event or party. Only you and your wife can decide that.

As for being a "sundown" town, I assume you are referring to the lack of nightlife there. That is kind of the way suburbs are. People generally are home at night, not out on the town, so you will not find a lot opened past say 9:00 PM. That is just the way it is and not just in Darien. You may find places open later in Stamford or Norwalk but those are cities, not suburbs. Even there, it is limited. If you really want to be near things that are opened all night, then you would probably be better of remaining in the city. JMHO, Jay

Old 11-16-2015, 12:03 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
That's not what they mean by the term sundown town, Jay.

I wouldn't call it a sundown town anymore. Times have changed from the days when it banned Jews and blacks from town (which it did well into the early 1960s, as evidenced in the film The Gentleman's Agreement), but it is still very white (as is much of lower Fairfield County). Most of the conservatism that you see in lower FFC is fiscal rather than social. I doubt you'd be met with hostility being an Asian American. These days in that part of the state people don't judge you by your race, they judge you by your bank account. If you have a chance to explore Darien and New Canaan and see for yourself, you should do so. They're both beautiful towns, and if it isn't for you, about 2 towns to the east is Westport where you find a bit more diverse.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:05 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As for being a "sundown" town, I assume you are referring to the lack of nightlife there.
Um, no.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:16 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
That's not what they mean by the term sundown town, Jay.

I wouldn't call it a sundown town anymore. Times have changed from the days when it banned Jews and blacks from town (which it did well into the early 1960s, as evidenced in the film The Gentleman's Agreement), but it is still very white (as is much of lower Fairfield County). Most of the conservatism that you see in lower FFC is fiscal rather than social. I doubt you'd be met with hostility being an Asian American. These days in that part of the state people don't judge you by your race, they judge you by your bank account. If you have a chance to explore Darien and New Canaan and see for yourself, you should do so. They're both beautiful towns, and if it isn't for you, about 2 towns to the east is Westport where you find a bit more diverse.
Just looked it up. I never heard that term before. Still there are not a lot of Asians in Darien today. If the OP is concerned about this then they may want to consider another town like Greenwich which has a higher Asian population. Jay

Old 11-16-2015, 12:41 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
They are all sundown towns, but the more pertinent color now is green, not black and white.
The "welcoming you" part will depend on how "green" you are and how well your kids perform at sports.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:11 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
They are all sundown towns, but the more pertinent color now is green, not black and white.
The "welcoming you" part will depend on how "green" you are and how well your kids perform at sports.
whats green?

Old 11-16-2015, 01:12 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
whats green?
$$$

Old 11-16-2015, 01:34 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
There goes Raider with his hyperbole.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:47 PM

31 posts, read 39,599 times
There's a reason it's called 'Aryan Darien'.

The most overpriced cesspool in the country, if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut