Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 02:40 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

I was looking at home prices Fairfield is significant more expensive than both towns and Milford is bit more expensive than the whole Stratford. Fairfield is cheapest gold coast suburb it seem it is cutoff line between wealthy CT and normal CT. What make Fairfield prices so high ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 03:12 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Fairfield is not the cheapest. Norwalk is less and Stamford is comparable or less.

Commutabililty to NYC. Period.

Milford is more than Stratford because it's generally a higher income town with better ranked schools.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:04 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Fairfield is not the cheapest. Norwalk is less and Stamford is comparable or less.

Commutabililty to NYC. Period.

Milford is more than Stratford because it's generally a higher income town with better ranked schools.
Stamford is not cheaper than Fairfield.

I would argue that even Norwalk isn't at all cheaper or even comparable to Fairfield for equivalent properties. I'd also argue that again, for comparable properties, Stratford can be more expensive than Milford. Key words being comparable properties, not overall. There is a perceived "prestige" factor when it comes to even lower income towns in Fairfield County.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:29 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
I figure it be in this order Greenwich, North Cannan, Fairfield, Stamford, Westport, Wilton, Darien, Norwalk, Ridgefield, Milford, New Fairfield, Weston, Easton, Monroe, Danbury, Trumbull, Brookfield/Bethel/Redding/Sherman, Stratford, Shelton, and Bridgeport.

Last edited by RunD1987; 11-26-2015 at 05:53 PM..

Old 11-26-2015, 05:45 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I figure it be in this order Greenwich, North Cannan, Fairfield, Stamford, Westport, Wilton, Darien, Norwalk, Ridgefield, Milford, New Fairfield, Danbury, Weston, Easton, Monroe, Trumbull, Brookfield/Bethel/Redding/Sherman, Stratford, Shelton, and Bridgeport.
I would think Danbury would be more like Sherman or Shelton.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:10 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
The closer to the city, the more expensive it will likely be. Fairfield also is on the water. Trumbull isn't and doesn't have a train station either.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:15 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Fairfield was built up as the most affluent and desirable suburb for Bridgeport during that city's heyday as the nations industrial powerhouse. Wealthy businessmen, professionals, doctors and lawyers built beautiful homes in neighborhoods such as Brooklawn, Stratfield, Greenfield Hill and Southport. Before that though the town was a well off farming community and served as the county seat during colonial times. This history gave the town the bones to become an affluent suburbs including very good schools, two well respected public libraries, two universities, three prestigious country clubs and a number of beautiful churches. Because of all this, people were willing to pay a premium to live there. As Brideports fortunes began to decline, Fairfield was able to draw more and more people from New York. And as Stamford and other Fairfield County towns began to attract New York City corporations, Fairfield was able to remain a desirable town to live in. A big boost came in the early 70's when GE decided to build their corporate headquarters on Easton Turnpike. A couple of other corporations wanted to build headquarters including FMC on Hulls Highway in Southport and Exxon Chemical on Black Rock Turnpike. Both were met with stiff opposition and were not approved from a town that felt it did not need or want more companies and traffic. Milford and Stratford do not have this history or the amenities so they are just not quite as desirable. Jay

Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Stamford is not cheaper than Fairfield.

I would argue that even Norwalk isn't at all cheaper or even comparable to Fairfield for equivalent properties. I'd also argue that again, for comparable properties, Stratford can be more expensive than Milford. Key words being comparable properties, not overall. There is a perceived "prestige" factor when it comes to even lower income towns in Fairfield County.
I don't think there's much of a prestige value in Stratford. It's a fine town but going by that logic even Bridgeport would have a prestige to it, and it doesn't. When I was looking, comparable homes were definitely cheaper in Stratford, although the taxes were higher. Zillow lists the average price per square foot in Stratford as $150 compared to Milford at $191.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I don't think there's much of a prestige value in Stratford. It's a fine town but going by that logic even Bridgeport would have a prestige to it, and it doesn't. When I was looking, comparable homes were definitely cheaper in Stratford, although the taxes were higher. Zillow lists the average price per square foot in Stratford as $150 compared to Milford at $191.

Stratford by the Merritt Parkway is very nice

Old 11-26-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
The closer to the city, the more expensive it will likely be. Fairfield also is on the water. Trumbull isn't and doesn't have a train station either.
True even the less desirable parts of Norwalk is expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut