Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 06:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,821 times

Advertisements

I am presently right now house hunting in stratford and trumbull, ct and thus relocating from new rochelle,westchester, if I find anything. I am planning to keep working at new rochelle hospital and I am wondering what is the commute like via metro north or car from stratford or trumbull, ct to new rochelle.

I am primarily looking at metro north as my main commute and driving as a last resort back-up.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:41 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Why not live in Westchester? The schlep from up in Stratford is a LONG one. Car is dreadful (you have to deal with (I-95)) and MetroNorth isn't such a great deal, either.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 7,821 times
house hunting is disappointing for me in westchester especially for price range approval for 300,000 -400,000. i live in new rochelle with my famiy and the average listing price in new rochelle is 500,000 and above and even if you find a home it is either bought, in contract, or in bidding war, or in horrible state and the average tax is betweeen 9,000 to 14,000 or higher. I even tried north aspect of mount vernon(fleetwood) and shocking it's like new rochelle, pelham, larchmont, mamorneck etc all the same. For a house to even drop to 400,000 to 399,900 from starting at 500,000 takes a year. I am an rn looking to branch out on my own and l am willing to commute just like i had to from new rochelle to manhattan to go to nursing school whsich was primarily by train and buses. I also heard of other health care providers, mainly rn living in ct and commuting to work in westchester county.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:20 AM

What about Port Chester? Or Norwalk, Ct? It's just that Stratford is WAY far out there.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, I'd check into Ossining, in Westchester. Ossining is about 35-40 minutes, and parts of the area have turned around in recent years, after having a blighted downtown for many years. It's an up-and-coming area as opposed to established, and it does have a bit of that urbanity that one finds in some of the river areas such as Peekskill, Yonkers, etc. However, you might find something nice in a respectable part of town that's not terribly far, but you would not be able to commute by train easily, since you'd have to take MetroNorth to 125th St on the Hudson Line and transfer to the New Haven Line to get to New Rochelle. Either that or it would be two agonizingly long buses on the Bee Line, since there's a bus from Ossining to White Plains and then there's one to New Rochelle, both of which are local routes and would probably take two hours to get to New Rochelle from Ossining.

If you don't mind a smaller house, you can sometimes find them in your price range (close to $400k), though not many of them and some might need some cosmetic updating, in more expensive towns in Westchester. Valhalla has some, though not many at all, since the area is generally more to the $500k mark for starters. North White Plains would be another area to search, which is included in zip code 10603, which might yield a few houses. Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow is another area that might yield something, though some neighborhoods are not as nice as others, but there are sometimes neat starter homes in decent areas that would fall in your price range, again it's going to be very few in number. You might be able to find a townhouse in some of these areas as well that might work for you for a starter home that's closer to work.

Another consideration would be some of the better parts of Yonkers, where you might find a 2-3BR cape cod or tiny Tudor revival home for around $400k. If the house is too large and the price is similar to a smaller house, the neighborhood is generally not as nice in Yonkers. The school district does tend to make anyone who wants to use the public system steer clear of the city entirely, however. It can be a challenge to sift through everything in Yonkers since the city runs the gamut from inner-city areas to placid suburban, tree-lined streets, but it might be worth checking to save yourself from the hassles of a long commute.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,428,667 times
Have you thought about looking up the Danbury area. There are many homes to choose from between $300,000 & $400,000. Property taxes average about $3,500 a year from homes in this price range, but it depends on the property.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:29 PM

Danbury is still a huge schlep from New Rochelle. It just doesn't make sense when there are other, closer, affordable places to live.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceangirl38 View Post
I am presently right now house hunting in stratford and trumbull, ct and thus relocating from new rochelle,westchester, if I find anything. I am planning to keep working at new rochelle hospital and I am wondering what is the commute like via metro north or car from stratford or trumbull, ct to new rochelle.

I am primarily looking at metro north as my main commute and driving as a last resort back-up.

thank you
Stratford is nice, I get it. Driving would be misery though. You'd have to squeeze by Bridgeport, then Norwalk, then Stamford...ugh. And you haven't even crossed the border into NY yet. Train is the way to go, but it's not cheap. On a nice day you can walk to the hospital from the station.

Unless you are hooked on Startford/Trumbull area, parts of Stamford are moving into your price range. Ravies.com is the easiest way of looking at real estate in CT. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County