Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 09:47 AM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

OP, It depends on how much you value time. 48 minutes * 240 days = 192 hours or 8 complete days, 12 days of awake time. Also family circumstances play a role. Nephew did Fairfield to GC and Wall St about 3 years, never was going to see kids M-F, as he was out by 6 a.m., home after working late, 8-9 p.m. So he moved to Chicago burbs, 25 minute commute, and is now in at 6:15 making 250% his NY pay.

So you must decide how much 3% of your awake hours annually matter to you. That is what 48 extra minutes daily are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 09:57 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRowe1 View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Here's what I get now:

1. 40 mins MTA versus 64 mins MTA
2. Taxes and house prices are lower in Westport
3. It comes down to how much I value the 24 mins each way shorter commute time.

What I really would love to know is if there's anyone on here that actually does the Westport to GC commute.
--- How do you feel about it? Honestly, is it brutal?
--- How easy is the Westport side of things? ie how long does it take you to get to the Station? Parking/drop-off etc.
Still not sure why you're not considering Darien or Greenwich?

Westport seems like a random choice vs Rye for someone concerned about commute time.

I will say all 3 CT towns have a better downtown, shopping/dining, etc than Rye.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:22 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
I can only speak on behalf of my father... He did the commute for 20 years, retired, and moved to Florida. My folks hated Florid and retirement and now they're back in Westport unretired and my dad is again making the commute 2-3 days a week.

Plainly, it sucks. But it's manageable. My dad is 73 and his only comment is that the commute was better when they had a bar car and they're were card games running on the ride home.

I commuted in to the city for meetings and a dinner yesterday from Westport. Westport is a GREAT town. However, if length of commute is your focus, I don't think it should be your first choice.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:23 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Still not sure why you're not considering Darien or Greenwich?

Westport seems like a random choice vs Rye for someone concerned about commute time.

I will say all 3 CT towns have a better downtown, shopping/dining, etc than Rye.
It seems like Greenwich would be close to ideal..

Old 02-21-2016, 04:48 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,339 times
If it was me, I would do it and catch up on sleep during the train.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:17 PM

52 posts, read 73,591 times
If you go out of the Greens Farms Station in Westport you can find parking. And at the other Westport station at Saugatuck you can find daily parking at designated areas by 6:30- 7 am depending on how early you have to get to NYC. Just some other tidbits. There are also some private parking places - one call Mortons at Saugatuck that has parking very close to the station. Hope this helps

Old 02-22-2016, 06:38 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
You guys need to take the Waterbury line into Grand Central for a few days. Westport to Grand Central will not bother you ever again.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:43 PM

14 posts, read 17,807 times
Hmm. To each their own, but to me...a 'great' town would have neither 25 mile rush-hour delays, nor would it have STARTER homes for three quarters of a million dollars.

Seems like the proper adjective would be 'highly overrated'. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I can only speak on behalf of my father... He did the commute for 20 years, retired, and moved to Florida. My folks hated Florid and retirement and now they're back in Westport unretired and my dad is again making the commute 2-3 days a week.

Plainly, it sucks. But it's manageable. My dad is 73 and his only comment is that the commute was better when they had a bar car and they're were card games running on the ride home.

I commuted in to the city for meetings and a dinner yesterday from Westport. Westport is a GREAT town. However, if length of commute is your focus, I don't think it should be your first choice.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:58 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador_Retriever View Post
Hmm. To each their own, but to me...a 'great' town would have neither 25 mile rush-hour delays, nor would it have STARTER homes for three quarters of a million dollars.

Seems like the proper adjective would be 'highly overrated'. But that's just me.
If it were "overrated" then starter homes wouldn't be going for $750,000. Real estate prices are the very definition of an objective "rating". So, in this case that adjective is quite subjective.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:02 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If it were "overrated" then starter homes wouldn't be going for $750,000. Real estate prices are the very definition of an objective "rating". So, in this case that adjective is quite subjective.
While I wouldn't call the town overrated, I believe his thinking is that paying something like that for a home is overrated. Many people already believe that or come to that conclusion. I know several people in Westport who broke their backs to hold onto their homes until their kids finished school. I don't know if they think it was worth it. Yes, the school and town are great...but if you are scraping by and can't enjoy life, does that make it worth it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut