Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 03:07 PM

34,055 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

And if these things were totally irrelevant today, Nep would still have a job. Regardless of whether you and I agree, many workplaces operate according to this mentality.

Correct.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:45 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
You guys do realize that I was NOT fired for leaving at 4:30 pm on a Friday for a cable appointment, right? I was fired for not notifying my manager that I was running late due to traffic, and showed up in the office at 9:20 am. She never even gave me her number to contact her in the first place, and it's the first time it happened. It wasn't a habitual thing. And texting/calling while driving is illegal and hazardous, during heavy rush hour. It was the last straw, however, because she wasn't pleased with my performance anyway.

Whatever. I had 5 jobs and one of them fired me. You can't expect 100% of every job in your lifetime to go smoothly, especially when different companies can have vastly different cultures and expectations. For crying out loud, I had just relocated to Columbus. Do you seriously think that I was trying to get fired?

Old 02-29-2016, 03:54 PM

34,055 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You guys do realize that I was NOT fired for leaving at 4:30 pm on a Friday for a cable appointment, right? I was fired for not notifying my manager that I was running late due to traffic, and showed up in the office at 9:20 am. She never even gave me her number to contact her in the first place, and it's the first time it happened. It wasn't a habitual thing. And texting/calling while driving is illegal and hazardous, during heavy rush hour. It was the last straw, however, because she wasn't pleased with my performance anyway.

This came after your infamous meeting with boss and H/R Director, where they indicated there was too much time off taken. Yes they were livid at that..well documented in your thread.

Never assume new workplaces with be as lax as your Stamford employer was.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:12 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
Quote:
Even though I am interested in working with accounting and numbers and all that, let's face it....work sucks. And there is much more to life than sitting in an office for 45+ hours a week. Other countries have figured out this simple truth (Sweden, Finland, Denmark) and have adopted 30-hour work weeks at many companies. So, it's a big problem here in America and with American culture in general. But I will never succumb to it.
That's a pretty broad generalization. I truly enjoy my work, both the industry (I'm also in a numbers business) and also my particular job. Loved my job at The Hartford and love my jobs in the same industry since leaving Hartford. Of course there were some bumps along the way, but the great majority of people, projects and tasks were pleasant, even enjoyable.

40 hours per week is also fairly normal for US white-collar workers, outside of NYC finance and big law. It's also typical of what I've ever billed for a work week, outside of rare crunch times. 30 hours a week is only 6 hours per day (like 11-5). What do these Swedes do from 8 'til 11 every morning?

I think a normal work ethic (meaning 40 billed hours, with maybe a few extra bonus points per week) is not a problem with America, but rather it is one of America's great attributes. American businesses and individuals get things done. In Europe the bureaucratization of the private sector (bankers hours at gas stations, for example) frustrates trade and commerce (and visiting Yanks).

Old 02-29-2016, 04:19 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
This doesn't apply to all jobs.

We're open Monday-Thursday and have a singular metric by which our employees are evaluated: Did you meet your objectives. Period. You can live at the doctor's office if you're meeting your objectives.

That having been said-- If you're a content producer, you have to be here to produce your videos in studio. If you're an editor, you have to be here to edit videos. There are limits.

It's not about the clock, or time in the seat-- It's about getting work done. However many times that requires you to be present in the office.

And if these things were totally irrelevant today, Nep would still have a job. Regardless of whether you and I agree, many workplaces operate according to this mentality.
No kidding! of course getting work done is paramount, goes without saying.
He can post journal entries while the cable guy is there.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:55 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I hope it works out so that I can settle down and buy a home in the $250K range within the next 1-3 years. I hope that's going to be doable in some of my favorite towns like Chester, Deep River, Essex, Portland, Middlefield, Middletown and Manchester.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:47 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
I hope it works out so that I can settle down and buy a home in the $250K range within the next 1-3 years. I hope that's going to be doable in some of my favorite towns like Chester, Deep River, Essex, Portland, Middlefield, Middletown and Manchester.
Chester, Deep River, Essex all suck. They have no Walmart or Kmart so you'll suffer to find parking downtown and shop the overpriced cutesy stores.

About the workplace -- maybe I missed it -- does it have a chef cafeteria?

Old 02-29-2016, 06:50 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Oh, and traffic is terrible on Memorial Day in main streets of all the towns you mentioned.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:09 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Who is gonna start the over/under on how long this next Connecticut foray lasts.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:27 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
I bet people in Greenwich dont known where Middletown is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut