Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 08:04 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

After three interviews that led to no offers here in Columbus, I have now landed an interview with a company in Middletown, CT. I already had a phone interview yesterday and the company and role sounded like a potentially great match for what I'm looking for and what they're looking for. They liked me over the phone, so they're inviting me to a real interview late next week, in which I will be covering my own travel expenses.

However, the job is a manager level position, but they said that it could be modified down to a senior staff level position. Even with 8 years of experience, I have always only been at a staff level. So I don't know how on earth they think I can skip senior level and go directly from staff to manager, but whatever. Is it normal to feel like I cannot handle being a manager? It just seems strange, because I actually meet 100% of their qualifications they are looking for, and they think I could be a good fit. Has anyone been in this position before?

The company is also very young (half of the workforce is under 35), has great work/life balance and a casual culture.

The company, however, does not seem to have a covered parking garage, full-service cafeteria, on-site security or professionally landscaped grounds, but I'll deal with it.

Anyway, I am especially excited that the job is located in Middletown, which is an easily commutable, centralized location, within a good radius of many cities and towns to commute from.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:08 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
After three interviews that led to no offers here in Columbus, I have now landed an interview with a company in Middletown, CT. I already had a phone interview yesterday and the company and role sounded like a potentially great match for what I'm looking for and what they're looking for. They liked me over the phone, so they're inviting me to a real interview late next week, in which I will be covering my own travel expenses.

However, the job is a manager level position, but they said that it could be modified down to a senior staff level position. Even with 8 years of experience, I have always only been at a staff level. So I don't know how on earth they think I can skip senior level and go directly from staff to manager, but whatever. Is it normal to feel like I cannot handle being a manager? It just seems strange, because I actually meet 100% of their qualifications they are looking for, and they think I could be a good fit. Has anyone been in this position before?

The company is also very young (half of the workforce is under 35), has great work/life balance and a casual culture.

The company, however, does not seem to have a covered parking garage, full-service cafeteria, on-site security or professionally landscaped grounds, but I'll deal with it.

Anyway, I am especially excited that the job is located in Middletown, which is an easily commutable, centralized location, within a good radius of many cities and towns to commute from.

Welcome back to CT aleast your not in Fairfield County but things slower pace in Middletown area you right between Hartford and New Haven.

Middletown, Downtown Hartford
Downtown Wooster Square, East Rock in New Haven
West Hartford

Old 02-27-2016, 08:45 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:

Good for you I hope it works out. I have a suspicion I know the company you are talking about, but I won't say it here.

If it's not that company and you are in downtown Middletown IMO downtown is a great place to work especially when the weather gets better. I worked in downtown Middletown a long time ago and it was great. I prefer it over Hartford or New Haven.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Good for you I hope it works out. I have a suspicion I know the company you are talking about, but I won't say it here.

If it's not that company and you are in downtown Middletown IMO downtown is a great place to work especially when the weather gets better. I worked in downtown Middletown a long time ago and it was great. I prefer it over Hartford or New Haven.
Yeah I lived in Middletown from 2010-2011 and liked it overall. I didn't like the congestion in downtown, although downtown itself was nice. But I really like that area of the state. It's pretty, being near the river and just has a laid back feeling. I just didn't like the apartment complex I was living in because it was essentially a college dormitory and had paper thin ceilings and floors.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:25 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
good luck to you!

Old 02-27-2016, 09:33 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
Be careful nep. At the rate this state is going you'll be laid off in 3 months.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Be careful nep. At the rate this state is going you'll be laid off in 3 months.
For real? But this company is rapidly growing and expanding.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:55 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
For real? But this company is rapidly growing and expanding.
CT in 1 billion red ink Malloy going lay off thousands of state workers

Old 02-27-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
CT in 1 billion red ink Malloy going lay off thousands of state workers
So then should I abandon my plans to have the interview? Please advise.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:35 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
So then should I abandon my plans to have the interview? Please advise.
Don't get scared off. Nothing to do with the private sector, at least in the short term. Good luck in your interviews next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut