Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:19 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,956,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Yep... everyone from RI/MA tells me that once they hit Waterbury or New Haven on the highway.... they can feel the NYC influence. Not sure if it's how people drive or whatever, but that's been told to me numerous times..
I agree with this. I would say that New Haven and Hartford feel like NE cities. I am not too familiar with Waterbury and cannot comment there.

New England is a compact geographic region which includes MA, NH, RI, ME, VT, and parts of CT (Hartford, Middlesex, Windham, Tolland, and New London Counties for sure). One could argue that parts of Northern New York state (around lake Champlain) are New England influenced, however we would be getting into the same discussion as before.

If we speak in gradations, I think Fairfield County is for sure in NYC's influence. Litchfield and New Haven Counties are less so.

Boston is the de facto capital of New England, as people from the region consider it to be the focal point. Sure New York City is a city in close proximity, however it does not have the same regional influence as Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:25 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,207,988 times
I don't see much Boston influence except a litle bit on CT's NE corner. Nothin compared to NYC' s influence.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:56 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,956,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I don't see much Boston influence except a litle bit on CT's NE corner. Nothin compared to NYC' s influence.
Should CT be kicked out of New England?

I am not sure about that. Folks in Greater Hartford area, the Shoreline would disagree with your assessment.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:57 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I agree with this. I would say that New Haven and Hartford feel like NE cities. I am not too familiar with Waterbury and cannot comment there.

New England is a compact geographic region which includes MA, NH, RI, ME, VT, and parts of CT (Hartford, Middlesex, Windham, Tolland, and New London Counties for sure). One could argue that parts of Northern New York state (around lake Champlain) are New England influenced, however we would be getting into the same discussion as before.

If we speak in gradations, I think Fairfield County is for sure in NYC's influence. Litchfield and New Haven Counties are less so.

Boston is the de facto capital of New England, as people from the region consider it to be the focal point. Sure New York City is a city in close proximity, however it does not have the same regional influence as Boston.
Sorry, New Englander Boston got no influence on Connecticut maybe Rhode Island which is just smaller Massachusetts. Hartford area is on it own

Old 01-06-2017, 08:53 PM

984 posts, read 599,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Let me apologize for not making clear that the 101 person sample size and the 39.81% figures were for New Hampshire only. Having clarified that, I should say that 39.81% is not the plurality. Boston was chosen by 42.59% of respondents.
Then it's miscolored.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
There's no "boundry" of influence, although there may be a boundary.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:52 PM

984 posts, read 599,936 times
Okay, this is my Last time posting on this thread. It's really hard to have a debate on influence and to even define what it means. As a result I will start a new thread that is similar but with a slightly different question that is far easier to debate.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:53 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
From what I know of Hartford and my times there (for example I lived in the area for 3 months on a temporary assignment 7 years ago and have a lot of friends there), I would consider it a "hybrid" or more like the NYC vs. Boston/NE "fault line" and even where the northern and eastern parts of the area were more "Boston" and the southern and western parts of the area more "NY".

The media emphasizes both NY and Boston sports teams (though I noticed with NY they emphasize the Yankees more than the Mets, perhaps geography since Yankees always had the northern suburbs of NYC and Mets were more prevalent in Long Island) as a good example. My assignment involved schools and one place I was in the Principal had lots and lots of Red Sox and Patriots gear all over his office where the assistant principal had Yankees and Giants all over hers. A phenomenon you don't see much of in FFC for example.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:26 PM

572 posts, read 435,572 times
New York State shares a border with MA as well as CT. VT, too.

Western Mass is said to have magic. "Here be dragons," says unofficial map.

New England starts at CT... and I never much liked NYC, and I am from NY State (Upstate NY is anything not NYC which is grossly unfair.) Boston is a nice city with increasingly NY-like drivers, traffic enforcement seemingly only at night, and no parking.

I like Boston better, I had to be in Boston to change my view of NYC. NYC is congested, busy, and good luck using subway. Most cryptic thing I EVER saw.

Oh, and NYC Mayor is from Mass. So.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:09 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
New York State shares a border with MA as well as CT. VT, too.

Western Mass is said to have magic. "Here be dragons," says unofficial map.

New England starts at CT... and I never much liked NYC, and I am from NY State (Upstate NY is anything not NYC which is grossly unfair.) Boston is a nice city with increasingly NY-like drivers, traffic enforcement seemingly only at night, and no parking.

I like Boston better, I had to be in Boston to change my view of NYC. NYC is congested, busy, and good luck using subway. Most cryptic thing I EVER saw.

Oh, and NYC Mayor is from Mass. So.
I am from New York and work in New York, but I prefer Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut