Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
Oh, and NYC Mayor is from Mass. So.
Bill De Blasio was born in Manhattan, although later spent his childhood in Boston. Then he returned to NYC for college (NYU) and graduate studies (Columbia). You can't say he is from Mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 11:54 AM

809 posts, read 467,948 times
Bumping this thread in light of the 2020 census and CT's relatively new found population growth.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:00 PM

34,021 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The NY Influence extends well into New Haven County, right up to New Haven, IMO. Milford is way more influenced by NY than Bethel.
, as pre covid Metro North traffic would indicate. Long waits for parking permits in 2019 were strictly a NYC employment thing in Milford.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:23 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
I even see NY influence up into Guilford-Madison and Clinton. East of NY.

My uncle's neighbors commute to NYC once a week from New Haven and live right around that area (15 minutes East).

The NYC influence sphere is definitely pushing up the coast.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:30 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
, as pre covid Metro North traffic would indicate. Long waits for parking permits in 2019 were strictly a NYC employment thing in Milford.
A lot of the passengers on my trains got off at Stamford too.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:08 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Bill De Blasio was born in Manhattan, although later spent his childhood in Boston. Then he returned to NYC for college (NYU) and graduate studies (Columbia). You can't say he is from Mass.

Since this thread was bumped I'll comment that he admits to rooting for Boston sports teams so in that sense he is from Mass.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:35 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,663 times
whenever someone asks if CT is really part of New England, i tell them to look at the town names. as with all the NE states, there are a lot of towns named after towns/cities in England which i don't think would be the case if the English did not settle here.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:21 AM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Definitely Milford and I think even further.

When I go up to the area east of New Haven to look a condos the realtors tell me there are people in Branford that work in NYC a few days a week. We looked at condos near the water in Guilford and we were talking to the people we met. Quite a few were New Yorkers (NYC) that had condos there are would come up for the weekends.

It also seems there are a lot of snow birds in condos along the water all up the eastern coastline that have lived in NYC. They retire and buy a condo in an eastern CT coastal town and also a condo down in FL. I have a cousin from Stamford that retired and bought a house in Westbrook and already has a condo in FL. The influence starts in NYC and ends further away in CT retirement.

Our grandparents lived in Brooklyn------moved to Stamford------now their grandchildren are buying in eastern coastal towns in retirement. Or like me looking into move to an eastern coastal town.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:53 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Definitely Milford and I think even further.

When I go up to the area east of New Haven to look a condos the realtors tell me there are people in Branford that work in NYC a few days a week. We looked at condos near the water in Guilford and we were talking to the people we met. Quite a few were New Yorkers (NYC) that had condos there are would come up for the weekends.

It also seems there are a lot of snow birds in condos along the water all up the eastern coastline that have lived in NYC. They retire and buy a condo in an eastern CT coastal town and also a condo down in FL. I have a cousin from Stamford that retired and bought a house in Westbrook and already has a condo in FL. The influence starts in NYC and ends further away in CT retirement.

Our grandparents lived in Brooklyn------moved to Stamford------now their grandchildren are buying in eastern coastal towns in retirement. Or like me looking into move to an eastern coastal town.
I know a ton of people in Guilford who work/commute to NYC 1 or more days a week. Even as far north as New Britain.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:40 PM

6,887 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I know a ton of people in Guilford who work/commute to NYC 1 or more days a week. Even as far north as New Britain.
I know one guy, not a ton, that moved up to Madison this past year. A native NYer. Commutes to Weschester couple days a week. Says it's insane up there now too. Avoids 95 and Rt 1 on weekends now. Can't move. The beach lots and Hammonassett are closed by 10AM. Capacity crowds and congestion. CT is a victim of it's own success. It's on fire. You can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut