Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:41 PM

980 posts, read 597,917 times

Advertisements

To Start,

This is one of those "Is CT Really in New England" threads. Many times people say, "hey, let the people FROM there decide." So, being from Fairfield and having lived here for 11 years now, I'd thought I'd give my say.

My Ideas:
New York has influence on the SW part of the state. Period. No place in the world isn't influenced by it at this point. Likewise, the rest of New England has an influence on the area as well. Both are very heavy and the real question to be asked is where does one lead over the other. Also, it's a gradient. I hate people who draw sharp lines, even though it is a pretty severe gradient in this case it is still indeed a gradient. (Will show evidence after my line)

The Great, Great Moment we've all Been Waiting For: My Line* **
* See first Image
** Sorry about the colors in the gradient not being PERFECT, it's just to give you an idea of what's happening here.

The Evidence:
I have concluded this not only with my experiences in the region but also with outside data.

#1: Shows *roughly* my line coinciding with the wealthy towns but I add Stamford since its success is due to New York http://web2.uconn.edu/ctsdc/Reports/..._OP2004-01.pdf

#2: Fairfield and anything east is the Central Coast, which revolve around BPT and New Haven. The YMCAs also have this grouping. Interestingly enough Central CT YMCAs (All the way down to Fairfield) embraced the fact that you can now to to any Y in New England with a Y membership a New England Y yet anything further SW didn't Connecticut Economic Development | Our Region - Connecticut Towns & Municipalities
Also, notice how all top employers in FFLD are all located in the town, it definitely has a college town feel.

#3: The Planning Regions of the State, where NY dominance corresponds to SW CT *roughly*. These have MORE power than counties as these actually regulate stuff whereas counties in all of CT (and RI!) don't even have governments...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Jr4IdtKgn9...ng.regions.GIF
Attached Thumbnails
The ACTUAL Boundry of NY influence.-screen-shot-2016-12-26-8.25.24  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 06:54 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
New Haven is border line for NYC influence, it start to pick up around Bridgeport, Norwalk and westward it very heavy

Old 12-26-2016, 07:07 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
The NY Influence extends well into New Haven County, right up to New Haven, IMO. Milford is way more influenced by NY than Bethel.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:19 PM

610 posts, read 532,711 times
The Darien YMCA participates in the New England Reciprocity Program as well, according to their website.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:15 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
No. The dividing line is route 8 and the sphere of influence goes way north of the Fairfield County line.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
The Darien YMCA participates in the New England Reciprocity Program as well, according to their website.
Thanks, I wasn't certain if that was the case or not. I don't travel over there often.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
New Haven is border line for NYC influence, it start to pick up around Bridgeport, Norwalk and westward it very heavy
That's pretty similar to what I said, although if you look at the New Haven commuter data in source 2 NYC doesn't even appear.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The NY Influence extends well into New Haven County, right up to New Haven, IMO. Milford is way more influenced by NY than Bethel.
There will still be some all the way up Metro North yes. Remember it's a gradient. Anyway, do you have evidence to support this claim?

Old 12-26-2016, 09:16 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
There will still be some all the way up Metro North yes. Remember it's a gradient. Anyway, do you have evidence to support this claim?
Wasn't aware I needed evidence to have an opinion.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
No. The dividing line is route 8 and the sphere of influence goes way north of the Fairfield County line.
Interesting why you chose that, would you like to share your explanation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut