Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 04:31 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post

I'm no Camb, but I set up a rinky-dink weather station of my own. Exciting stuff!

I've got marks at around 8-9 inches, 24 inches, and 33 inches.

Too cool!! Do you have a time lapse camera on that? Maybe you can do a picture every hour or something. Try to get same zoom and angle to make a cool timelapse with it. . Keep us posted throughout the storm on whats going on there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
NWS may be buying into that a little.

I'm posting the updates to the 3 maps. The "max potential" map is impressive period, but especially for March!

Thanks for continuing to post these! As we been through this before changes and updates are always made so its nice to see and keep track of. Thanks! I just hope they aren't hot linked. Be nice to see them in the future.

Actually just realized they are hot linked. See if you can save, upload, and post for us so they will be available later on. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 PM

This is the NWS Snow Total Forecasts. Says updated at 5pm but I seen drastic changes many times in the past so stay tuned especially big cities and near coast.

I don't think Long Island will get 12-18". Maybe 9-12"?

http://www.weather.gov/images/erh/gis/NE_Snow.png

http://www.weather.gov/images/erh/gis/MA_Snow.png

Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM

845 posts, read 680,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hey, that's cool!
Can you post pics after the storm?
I plan on doing some updates throughout the storm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Too cool!! Do you have a time lapse camera on that? Maybe you can do a picture every hour or something. Try to get same zoom and angle to make a cool timelapse with it. . Keep us posted throughout the storm on whats going on there
I'm trying to set up an old laptop to look at it, and record it. Then I'll hopefully speed it up. This way I get the entire storm on camera (while it's light out). It's also visible from my sink, so I will just take phone photos from that angle as well.

For reference, this is Prospect near Waterbury. Height is 720ish feet.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:40 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
For once Malloy and I are on the same page.

Good luck to all the plow drivers!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:42 PM

Current Alerts. ALL OF CT Blizzard Warning Now. WOW. Either the West shift did it, or they figured criteria will be met with at least 3 hours 30mph winds?

8 States with a Blizzard Warning Now..

Old 03-13-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
I plan on doing some updates throughout the storm!

I'm trying to set up an old laptop to look at it, and record it. Then I'll hopefully speed it up. This way I get the entire storm on camera (while it's light out). It's also visible from my sink, so I will just take phone photos from that angle as well.

For reference, this is Prospect near Waterbury. Height is 720ish feet.
Very cool and fun to see others having fun with this.

I predict you will only have 1 or 2 steps visible when all said and done of that ladder on the right there.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:51 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Never understood this mentality, unless people think there will be outages that will last for days? Do people all run out of "bread and milk" (that seems to be the battle cry) just before a storm is coming? Seems unlikely!

I said earlier that they already stocked up for the dusting Friday - I was in the store Friday night and it was a mess due to day shoppers with the snow. So they're already out of that food? Of course they are

My credit union had a line, 4 cars long 3 cars wide at the drive through and ATM. INSANE. There's usually 1-2 cars there max. 3 is a lot. But because the front parking lot was empty and no one was inside, I was still able to deposit a check and interrupt the teller from yawning

It's like a caveman mentality. How many storms have these people lived through vs how many have actually knocked out power to stores and gas stations for more than a few hours, or even a day. NOT MANY!!!

Cam - isn't this starting overnight? My town issued a statement at 4pm saying that tomorrows trash pickup will proceed starting at 5am tomorrow to ensure collection prior to the onset of the storm. They usually start at 7 so not that much earlier. Should be fun trying to wrestle trash cans out of snowbanks right?

I am absolutely amazed at how nice and blue the sky was today! Not sure I've seen that before so close to a major storm

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 03-13-2017 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 05:09 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Its officially the end of the world at Stop and Shop Westport

Old 03-13-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Cam - isn't this starting overnight? My town issued a statement at 4pm saying that tomorrows trash pickup will proceed starting at 5am tomorrow to ensure collection prior to the onset of the storm. They usually start at 7 so not that much earlier. Should be fun trying to wrestle trash cans out of snowbanks right?
lol. I guess they think they are the postman? Maybe they think it wont be as bad at the time they would be out?

And here we have it... the last minute track change. Introduces sleet, rain and freezing rain into the forecast. What a mess. But notice... 15-24" of snow still possible but man its gonna suck to shovel if there's different layers of sleet and ice.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:22 PM

My cousin plans on OT with this one. He's DOT in Pelham, NY. Good call on Travel ban. I just hope people don't get stuck somewhere. Some folks might travel to work 3-6am then get stuck after 9am there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut