Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 AM

223 posts, read 172,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It

Been there, done that. Didn't work out too well. Yet, former Democrat Senator Gary Le Beau thinks we need to expand the size and scope of government to solve the fiscal issues in CT.
A lot of the the Midwest and south does this already- while it is not ideal, it does save plenty of money and improves efficiency. If there was ever a time to do it, it'd be now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 08:27 AM

223 posts, read 172,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I read that. All I can say is that bigger is NEVER better. Schools, our biggest strength, would suffer, as would just about all services. No way. Jay
County gov't is actually smaller- it consolidates services. Pros/ cons? http://blog.chron.com/opportunityurb...consolidation/

Old 05-23-2017, 09:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Yeah no way. The major cities like Hartford, New Haven, etc. would own their smaller towns and cities and provide nothing but a terrible outcome. No way I want to be responsible for NH's issues, taxes, policies, etc. The big cities would suck their suburban and rural towns dry, I don't live in a city for a reason!

Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Yeah no way. The major cities like Hartford, New Haven, etc. would own their smaller towns and cities and provide nothing but a terrible outcome. No way I want to be responsible for NH's issues, taxes, policies, etc. The big cities would suck their suburban and rural towns dry, I don't live in a city for a reason!
So Greenwich paying Bridgeport bills, Woodbridge paying New Haven and Waterbury bills, Avon paying Hartford bills

Old 05-23-2017, 10:03 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetnewspaper View Post
County gov't is actually smaller- it consolidates services. Pros/ cons? Pros and cons of city-county consolidation - Opportunity Urbanist
Not really. It also isolates and insulates the local decision making processes. I personally do not want the power of things like land-use, zoning and schools made in some regional agency.

You have to look no further than the intersection of Hebron Avenue (Route 94) and Chaulker Hill to see what happens when a remote government agency makes decisions without any knowledge, input or accountability to the local public. For those of you who don't know the location, it is the site of a large fuel cell facility that was approved by the Connecticut Siting Council in the middle of a wooded residential area. If you drive by now, you see what looks to be an industrial facility with little landscaping or vegetation to hide it. The town tried to get the council to at least require a more substantial landscaping plan but it was denied and only a few trees were added. Now the residents are stuck looking at an ugly facility in the middle of what was a nice residential area. Yeah, go ahead and try and convince me a regional government is better. No way. Jay

Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
For it get the mill below 70

At least an excess tax the county adds on to property taxes that helps fund school's within on their County, maintain State roads running through the County, and fund resident troopers/barracks in the County.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:14 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
The towns prefer small local government because there is more opportunity for local control and accountability. Our cities are largely underclass, with residents whose priorities differ from those of the suburban towns. Move to county government, or regionalized schools, and many, many people will vote with their feet.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:40 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetnewspaper View Post
A lot of the the Midwest and south does this already- while it is not ideal, it does save plenty of money and improves efficiency. If there was ever a time to do it, it'd be now.
Not entirely true. While it helps areas the are unincorporated to be able to afford some level of services, it otherwise only serves to add another layer of bureaucracy to the incorporated areas that already have the same services provided by their local town or city government. I have lived in the Midwest and also western NY where they have county government. I know the pro's and con's having been around it for many years. The only way CT could benefit is if it had unincorporated areas. Otherwise, local cities and towns should try to work on consolidation of some services that won't be compromised under that scenario at the local level on their own.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:09 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Let's not and say we did. It'd be just an opportunity to enact another tax and suck suburban towns dry. As I've said before, it's not the suburbs' fault that their municipalities are financially sound while the cities (like Hartford) are in economic shambles. Forget about the "building booms" going on in downtown areas and look at the outlying neighborhoods. Chances are, most suburbanites don't regard them as a desirable place, hence the reason why they choose not to invest their time or money there.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:12 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Not entirely true. While it helps areas the are unincorporated to be able to afford some level of services, it otherwise only serves to add another layer of bureaucracy to the incorporated areas that already have the same services provided by their local town or city government. I have lived in the Midwest and also western NY where they have county government. I know the pro's and con's having been around it for many years. The only way CT could benefit is if it had unincorporated areas. Otherwise, local cities and towns should try to work on consolidation of some services that won't be compromised under that scenario at the local level on their own.
Good point on county gov't serving unincorporated areas. With no unincorporated areas, there is no need for county gov't in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut