Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 05:56 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
No, the problem with replacing jobs lost to automation with equal jobs is national. International.
Globally, correct, but we must admit Ct is a net loser in state-state job migration. It does not have to be.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:39 PM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I've heard the same about Maryland. I've been told by many to avoid Maryland with the exception of a few suburbs, like Bethesda or Potomac - both of which are out of our price range.
This is absurd and worthy of comment from someone who has lived in Maryland for over 60 years. I've lived all over this state including Baltimore for 2 years and I never had a problem. Regarding Baltimore the crime, especially the homicide rate, is in the drug infested very poor neighborhoods. Drug dealers killing each other in turf wars. The entire city is not like that, neither is Maryland.

There are many good places to live here. I live in the old part of Greenbelt and this area practically has no crime at all. You are totally safe if one wants to take a stroll at night. Same for many other cities I lived in. Never had a problem.

I hope you like traffic because you will be spending a lot of time in it. If one takes the subway the rail cars are very crowded even if they are running every few minutes during rush time. Pretty sure we have the worst traffic in the entire country.

I've driven through CT several times and I would live there before here any day. I'd love to escape to New England if I could. My dislike for this area has to do with cold unfriendly people and traffic, traffic, traffic. Can't stress that enough. And it is projected to get much worse in the next 20 years. That's hard to imagine...

Old 07-04-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
If you will be working in dc I would try somewhere around Tyson. Less traffic than been right near 95 and really nice.
Tysons Corner is a traffic nightmare. I worked there for 2 years recently and it has some of the worst traffic in the entire area.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:05 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Tysons Corner is a traffic nightmare. I worked there for 2 years recently and it has some of the worst traffic in the entire area.
95 going from pretty much Fredericksburg thru Alexander is the worse to me. Other roads can get bad but not like 95

Old 07-05-2017, 03:50 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I guess you haven't been to southern Connecticut. DC traffic has nothing on New York and LA.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
I guess you haven't been to southern Connecticut. DC traffic has nothing on New York and LA.
Been through about a dozen times so not much experience.

We rank 6th worse according to this study. I thought it was higher:

Study ranks DC traffic congestion | WTOP

BTW - WTOP is a pretty good news radio station here. They give traffic reports every 10 minutes. Sometimes it's helpful but not always reliable. I guess they can't report everything. One is pretty limited getting around this traffic anyway.

One brief note on crime in Maryland for those interested and to clarify - Yes, I'd be careful about Baltimore. Also southern Prince Georges County. Not all but some of those areas I'd avoid. Overall it's a very safe state to live in but I do not like it here. If I had the means I'd move to New England area and would explore Connecticut. I've had positive experiences driving through.

Wishing you the best and I hope it works out.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:58 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Was in DC area this week for work. It definitely feels vibrant.

Went to Alexandria. Love that town. Seems like a lot of building in the historic area. Big developments.

Was in Tysons Corner and Reston a bit. Not as much of a fan of those. Too much of a manufactured feel like a lot of the expanding south.

Also hit Georgetown and surrounding area. That's an amazing spot.

Traffic was frustrating but not THAT bad. Nothing like my experience in California.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 AM

663 posts, read 1,863,777 times
Quote:
Actually DC area traffic, is pretty bad - this coming from an LA resident. The beltway was a slogfest on the weekend and no different from a congested LA freeway.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:24 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I mean CT has its pros and cons for everyone on different levels. No guarantee of greener pastures where ever you go.

I will say pros for CT is family and friends are here. Spring, summer, and Fall are amazing here. Halloween time rocks in CT. A good running community. Beautiful places to hike and run on for trails. Good places to eat out at with an eclectic mix. Colleges are good here and education overall is good.

Cons is traffic and congestion. Little public transportation and if there is transportation can be greatly affected by the weather. Taxes. Taxes on everything too high. Too high of COL. Housing cost is too high. Higher education is expensive especially at the State levels. Winter. Towns and Cities are nky bery walkable. Many thing's are spread out throughout the State.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:45 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I mean CT has its pros and cons for everyone on different levels. No guarantee of greener pastures where ever you go.

I will say pros for CT is family and friends are here. Spring, summer, and Fall are amazing here. Halloween time rocks in CT. A good running community. Beautiful places to hike and run on for trails. Good places to eat out at with an eclectic mix. Colleges are good here and education overall is good.

Cons is traffic and congestion. Little public transportation and if there is transportation can be greatly affected by the weather. Taxes. Taxes on everything too high. Too high of COL. Housing cost is too high. Higher education is expensive especially at the State levels. Winter. Towns and Cities are nky bery walkable. Many thing's are spread out throughout the State.
The cons are what drive people away, yet the pros can easily be found elsewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut