Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:02 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmed1 View Post
On top of the monthly HOA, there is also a one time $1,500 fee to put into the till to cover any special assessments.

the units are electric heat.

BTW, I think 350K and less is inexpensive.

I'd rather check out Pine Hills in Massachusetts.
Isn't Pine Hills a lot more expensive? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Isn't Pine Hills a lot more expensive? Jay
Maybe not when taking into account the $700 a month HOA!

Old 07-13-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Maybe not when taking into account the $700 a month HOA!
The 55+ community there starts at $550,000. Resales start in the upper $400,000. That is a lot pricier than Heritage Village. The HOA fees appear to start in the mid-$400. I have no idea what the taxes are. Of course Pine Hills is brand new and closer to Boston but still it is not within reach of most retirees. Jay

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...UZkgbxGKUZZjdE

https://www.pinehills.com/homes/home-type/55-residences

Old 07-13-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The 55+ community there starts at $550,000. Resales start in the upper $400,000. That is a lot pricier than Heritage Village. The HOA fees appear to start in the mid-$400. I have no idea what the taxes are. Of course Pine Hills is brand new and closer to Boston but still it is not within reach of most retirees. Jay

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...UZkgbxGKUZZjdE

https://www.pinehills.com/homes/home-type/55-residences
That’s pretty expensive. The equivalent to that would probably be Oxford Greens, with homes in the 400s (no clue what their fees are). That said, it’s not nearly as close to a major city as Pine Hills seems to be.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:42 PM

63 posts, read 67,378 times
Thank you for the advice and thoughts.

If Heritage Village wasn't such a depressing and old place, I would strongly consider it even with the high HOA fees and the $1,500 fee. Depending on what you like to do, it could be considered out in the middle of nowhere.

Something like Pine Hills you are paying for new construction and easier access to a major city like Boston and also the Cape.

UGH.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmed1 View Post
Thank you for the advice and thoughts.

If Heritage Village wasn't such a depressing and old place, I would strongly consider it even with the high HOA fees and the $1,500 fee. Depending on what you like to do, it could be considered out in the middle of nowhere.

Something like Pine Hills you are paying for new construction and easier access to a major city like Boston and also the Cape.

UGH.
You do realize that there are other 55+ communities that are closer to amenities and cities. When it was built HV’s rural location was considered to be an asset. It was peaceful and quiet, far away from the madness of cities. Still is for the most part. And they can be less expensive than Pine Hills.

Also note that just because a building is older does not mean it is depressing. I find Heritage Village to be beautiful. The landscaping is mature where in newer developments the landscaping looks barren. If you give us some more information like budget and what you need and expect for that budget as well as what you like in a community. Jay

Old 07-13-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
You do realize that there are other 55+ communities that are closer to amenities and cities. When it was built HV’s rural location was considered to be an asset. It was peaceful and quiet, far away from the madness of cities. Still is for the most part. And they can be less expensive than Pine Hills.

Also note that just because a building is older does not mean it is depressing. I find Heritage Village to be beautiful. The landscaping is mature where in newer developments the landscaping looks barren. If you give us some more information like budget and what you need and expect for that budget as well as what you like in a community. Jay
What I find depressing are the $700 a month HOA fees for a mediocre unit. Yikes.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 AM

63 posts, read 67,378 times
Quote:

I can spent up to 7 or 800K but would much prefer not to.

As a single person, having lots of activities is important to meet people and make friends. Currently, I have easy access to the train into NYC.

I like the rural feel of Heritage Village A lot of condo's and newer places as you said seem barren and are clustered up and not spread out like HV.

I think I'm feeling the depressing from Heritage is the age of the residents which is 70 I've been told. I'm an active 61 who travels and will hop on the train or a plane alone to go somewhere rather than wait for a bus (in HV) to drive us to the city. Maybe I am totally wrong in my feelings that Heritage will have too much of an elderly resident feel to it A couple of acquaintances/friends have actually said "your not ready for that"

Old 07-14-2018, 07:57 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Oronoque Village has a similar feel but is near the train to NYC and things to do in Fairfield/Westport, Milford, New Haven, etc.

Maybe it, or another one nearer to things to do is a better fit. There’s not much to do near Southbury.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Oronoque Village has a similar feel but is near the train to NYC and things to do in Fairfield/Westport, Milford, New Haven, etc.

Maybe it, or another one nearer to things to do is a better fit. There’s not much to do near Southbury.
Oronoque is beautiful and may be more to the OP’s liking. A friend just bought there and loves it. They are about the same age as the OP. Her sister also just bought there. Might be a better option. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut