Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I know this thread is very old, but I can't help but comment. It will take more than a long line at a show and the Big East Tournament to pull Hartford out of its rut. These events happen yearly and they haven't helped in the past but for a few weeks at a time. Hartford needs safety, an increased, non-transient resident population and significant retail changes before it experiences any type of renaisance. Also not sure how the magnet schools will ultimatley help the public schools in the city??? By taking the student population out of public and sticking them is so called magnet schools??
I understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately, this is a major problem with any urban area.

Downtown Hartford has potential, but there's really nothing to do there during the day, and the parking is very expensive and inconvenient. Granted, when I lived in Hartford, one of our family's favorite things to do is pack a picnic, park down at Charter Oak Landing, and walk the river front. I hope that the Science Center will add to that.

As far as the magnet schools are concerned, i've had nothing but positive experiences with them. Keep in mind that they have strict academic and behavioral standards. Not all children who start attending actually stay in these schools, and if a child does not pass their grade, they are not allowed to return. The thing that concerns me is will the public schools end up as dumping grounds for kids that can not be saved and are unenthusiastic about learning? The key is parental involvement, which is also something the magnet schools expect from children who attend there.

I've seen my share parents who simply don't care, depression, drug abuse, etc. parents that work endless hours to put food on the table, in-turn neglecting their children at home because she has to work 3rd shift. Kids home alone after school because child care is not affordable. This is a sad scenario. I was blessed to have a lot of support and help from family, but some people simply don't have this.

I'd like to think of one of those people who would like to "save the world", but i just can't, although I wish I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Unfortunately the current administration has done little to build on the momentum started under the previous one. Mayor Perez let several key employers (ING, Prudential, WFSB, etc.) leave the city without offering them viable options to remain downtown and add to it. It is too bad because even just keeping one or two of these would have gone a long way to helping the city's image. JMHO, Jay

Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Leilani- i see your points and I know it can be difficult, unfortunately I think that there is too much reliance on "the system" and people who are in these situations often fall back on help rather than try to rise above it.

As far as the magnet schools go, I would rather see the millions that are being dumped into these schools/staff go towards educating parents and improving schools that already exist. Whats the point of building a gorgeous state of the art school next door to one thats decaying? it does nothing for the neighborhood and that money could have been better spend improving the existing schools and educating parents on how to be involved with their kids education. Why can't existing schools be modified or even partitioned into "magnet" schools if they are in fact that successful? When I attended Quirk Middle in Hartford, many moons ago, that school had a magnet school and a seperate honors program all within the same building. It worked back then, even before the term magnet school became the fix for broken school systems. EH/Glastonbury magnet has managed to flourish in the 10 years that it has been located in a retro, out of date building in EH. They soon plan to move, but they managed for 10 years in an old building why can't others?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:32 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Thank you for finally saying what I have wanted to say...Why is Hartford bashed all the time on this thread?? There are some really cool things going on in Hartford, good restaurants, The Hartford Stage, the Bushnell...come on, give everyone in Hartford a break! There are shootings all over the United States now, not just in Hartford.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Leilani- i see your points and I know it can be difficult, unfortunately I think that there is too much reliance on "the system" and people who are in these situations often fall back on help rather than try to rise above it.

As far as the magnet schools go, I would rather see the millions that are being dumped into these schools/staff go towards educating parents and improving schools that already exist. Whats the point of building a gorgeous state of the art school next door to one thats decaying? it does nothing for the neighborhood and that money could have been better spend improving the existing schools and educating parents on how to be involved with their kids education. Why can't existing schools be modified or even partitioned into "magnet" schools if they are in fact that successful? When I attended Quirk Middle in Hartford, many moons ago, that school had a magnet school and a seperate honors program all within the same building. It worked back then, even before the term magnet school became the fix for broken school systems. EH/Glastonbury magnet has managed to flourish in the 10 years that it has been located in a retro, out of date building in EH. They soon plan to move, but they managed for 10 years in an old building why can't others?
I agree with many of your points wholeheartedly.

I believe that the issues with that new school were space. I know the school originally took up space in an old hotel downtown, then moved to the old Morse School of Business site. I do agree; however, that there could have been a less-expensive solution. Especially considering the layoffs we hear of every day in the school system.

As far as educating parents on how to be more involved in their children's education; I'm all for it. You know how the old saying goes though, "you can lead a horse to water, but can you get it to drink". There are many parents that choose not to be involved, don't know how, or just feel like they can't.

I also agree with you that too many people are relying on the system. Even though Connecticut has one of the strictest welfare laws in the country, people somehow find ways to get around it. I've experienced both sides of the spectrum. My mother was on welfare until the 90's when welfare reform began. Since then, she's been working for a direct mail company. Even though she had to learn to be self sufficient, she still had to rely on some state program subsidies. It wasn't until I was in high school where i really understood the length of opportunity I had. I think when you're brought into the cycle of poverty like that, opportunity is often very misunderstood. People know and get used to what they're exposed to.

I can go on forever on these topics, so I'll stop now so i won't bore you :-)

Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 AM

722 posts, read 1,981,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately, this is a major problem with any urban area.

Downtown Hartford has potential, but there's really nothing to do there during the day, and the parking is very expensive and inconvenient. Granted, when I lived in Hartford, one of our family's favorite things to do is pack a picnic, park down at Charter Oak Landing, and walk the river front. I hope that the Science Center will add to that.

As far as the magnet schools are concerned, i've had nothing but positive experiences with them. Keep in mind that they have strict academic and behavioral standards. Not all children who start attending actually stay in these schools, and if a child does not pass their grade, they are not allowed to return. The thing that concerns me is will the public schools end up as dumping grounds for kids that can not be saved and are unenthusiastic about learning? The key is parental involvement, which is also something the magnet schools expect from children who attend there.

I've seen my share parents who simply don't care, depression, drug abuse, etc. parents that work endless hours to put food on the table, in-turn neglecting their children at home because she has to work 3rd shift. Kids home alone after school because child care is not affordable. This is a sad scenario. I was blessed to have a lot of support and help from family, but some people simply don't have this.

I'd like to think of one of those people who would like to "save the world", but i just can't, although I wish I could.

Leilani,

I think its great that u and ur kids had a good experience with magnet schools. But frankly, I think they are the worst idea ever created. When I was in high school in waterbury a few years ago, there were 4 magnet schools. Each of them were touted by politicians for parents who were involved in their childrens and considering leaving the city due to its "poor education system". All a magnet school is a political toy for a politician in an already overly-political city. (waterbury) And if hartford is anything like waterbury, a magnet school will continue to separate kids and with good upbringings from the ones with bad ones and hope that one day the bad kids will want to be like the good kids.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Leilani,

I think its great that u and ur kids had a good experience with magnet schools. But frankly, I think they are the worst idea ever created. When I was in high school in waterbury a few years ago, there were 4 magnet schools. Each of them were touted by politicians for parents who were involved in their childrens and considering leaving the city due to its "poor education system". All a magnet school is a political toy for a politician in an already overly-political city. (waterbury) And if hartford is anything like waterbury, a magnet school will continue to separate kids and with good upbringings from the ones with bad ones and hope that one day the bad kids will want to be like the good kids.
I have a lot of views on this topic, and could go on forever.

My main concern is doing what's right for my family. I know it may make me sound a little selfish.

I just wish there were more residents of Hartford that put out just a little more effort.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 PM

438 posts, read 1,196,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
a magnet school will continue to separate kids and with good upbringings from the ones with bad ones and hope that one day the bad kids will want to be like the good kids.
In some ways I'm sympathetic to your point of view, but after a certain point I think the educational system's resources, and society at large, are better served by encouraging the high achievers as much as possible than trying to rescue the folks at the bottom -- and unfortunately, it's the "bad kids" who are at the bottom, both intellectually and behaviorally. It's almost impossible for a teacher to be effective in an environment where the engaged, interested, well-qualified kids are outnumbered by their opposites; it's almost impossible for a promising student to thrive, when he or she is surrounded by kids who basically have nothing to lose and who resent anyone who does.

It may not be fair, or their fault, but at a certain point one has to deal with what is, rather than what should be. I've known too many people who've overcome adversity, and become high achievers despite the obstacles of a bad or abusive upbringing.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
It's almost impossible for a teacher to be effective in an environment where the engaged, interested, well-qualified kids are outnumbered by their opposites; it's almost impossible for a promising student to thrive, when he or she is surrounded by kids who basically have nothing to lose and who resent anyone who does.
There might be some truth to this. But I'm wondering how current teachers are expected to stay in these settings and how prospective teachers would be lured to them.

Over the last few weeks, I've been researching what it would take to become certified to teach...

Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
There might be some truth to this. But I'm wondering how current teachers are expected to stay in these settings and how prospective teachers would be lured to them.

Over the last few weeks, I've been researching what it would take to become certified to teach...
My sister is a school teacher. She couldn't score a teaching job in Connecticut without a master's degree. She ended up taking a job as a paraprofessional for $10/hour for 3 years while she pursued this. Teachers in any state have to attend work shops certain times per year as well.

I also understand that Hartford also pays a higher salary then some surrounding towns. I have considered going back to school for secondary education as I have a passion in uplifting youth. Although many people couldn't do it, I would teach at an inner-city school in a heart beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut