Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:30 PM

4,460 posts, read 3,354,951 times

Advertisements

https://patch.com/connecticut/trumbu...campaign=alert

When the Merritt Parkway opened in 1940, it wasn't uncommon for people to pull over and picnic on the side of the road. Those of us who spend a good deal of time down in Fairfield County have contemplated the same idea today because we're so darn frustrated by bumper-to-bumper traffic. Gridlock causes headaches and costs us jobs. I want the following to be a reality: 30 minutes from Hartford to New Haven; 30 minutes from New Haven to Stamford; and 30 minutes from Stamford to Manhattan with spurs to New London and Waterbury. This isn't a pipedream, this is a necessity: a modern infrastructure by rail, road, air and water – to unlock the full economic potential of our beautiful state."

I think he meant 30 minutes from Bridgeport to Stamford and wouldn't that be glorious. If Lamont could do this I will regard him as the greatest Governor in my lifetime.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 03:53 PM

154 posts, read 79,272 times
At least Lamont could clearly get a speech done unlike Malloy with all the stuttering and stammering. I was very impressed with that aspect of his speech today. Lamont will not get much done. He is all talk and full of promises he can't and won't keep. The agenda is clear, raise taxes and find more money to spend. No mention of cuts or cleaning out the illegals in our sanctuary cities. Lamont and the Democrats will continue to drive out more retirees and the actual taxpayers. The takers and freeloaders will continue to multiply in this state.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:43 PM

4,460 posts, read 3,354,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbme99 View Post
At least Lamont could clearly get a speech done unlike Malloy with all the stuttering and stammering. I was very impressed with that aspect of his speech today. Lamont will not get much done. He is all talk and full of promises he can't and won't keep. The agenda is clear, raise taxes and find more money to spend. No mention of cuts or cleaning out the illegals in our sanctuary cities. Lamont and the Democrats will continue to drive out more retirees and the actual taxpayers. The takers and freeloaders will continue to multiply in this state.
Are you sure CT has the most takers (as you call them)?

% of Residents on Food Stamps 2016 (SNAP)
https://www.hungerfreeamerica.org/bl...ap-food-stamps

New Mexico.......22%
Mississippi.........21%
West Virginia.....20%
Oregon.............19%
Louisiana..........19%
Alabama...........18%
Tennessee.........18%
Florida..............18%
Georgia.............17%
Kentucky...........17%
Connecticut.......12%

Most Federally Dependent States 2018 (#1 being the MOST dependent)
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...overnment/2700

1 New Mexico
2 Kentucky
3 Mississippi
4 Alabama
5 West Virginia
6 South Carolina
7 Arizona 67.22
8 Alaska 64.16
9 Montana 63.80
10 Louisiana
42 Connecticut

Appears to me the Trump states are the "takers". Who would have thought by the comments on this board bashing CT.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,576 times
Perception is important. I like how he paints CT as a place that welcomes entrepreneurship and growth. Something the previous administration did not understand at all. The perception was that CT was a state in retreat, a state of ever expanding taxes and debt and government control. I hope that the ever expanding far left progressive wing of the legislature understands what Ned understands, that perception is more than half the battle. In a lot of ways CT is still a safer place for investment than NYC and Northern NJ is. If I were Ned I would float the idea of lower corporate rates of less bureaucracy, even if it has no chance at passing the legislature, it would be a positive message for capital, we are welcoming you we do not want to chase you away anymore.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:00 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I think he meant 30 minutes from Bridgeport to Stamford
Nah, I think that was intentional. And he meant by rail. The trains are capable of doing that already, but they can’t on our old tracks.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:01 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Perception is important. I like how he paints CT as a place that welcomes entrepreneurship and growth.
Malloy was terrible at the 2 things a governor needs to have skill in, if nothing else: PR and communication.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:36 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Malloy was terrible at the 2 things a governor needs to have skill in, if nothing else: PR and communication.
That’s what I never understood. CT has a bunch positive attributes. CT has one of the most skilled and educated workforces in the country, along with a workforce willing to work with their hands, not just sit in a cubical. Why were Rick Scott and Charlie Baker allowed to just come into CT and pick off employers without much push back? Leadership was not doing a good job defending CT workers.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:50 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,948,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Agreed. I also think he wasn't a good listener and didn't really care what anyone else thought. Not a good attribute for any executive. Lamont is a breath of fresh air.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 AM

154 posts, read 79,272 times
Lamont is just another talker. He is painting a nice picture but he won't change much of anything. This state has been destroyed by decades of poor leadership in Hartford. The Democrat controlled legislature controls all the money. Lamont is going to try and act like the good guy, who wants to compromise and change things. The reality is that he is a liberal democrat who will not bring any real change to Connecticut. Dannel Malloy and Ned Lamont = nothing new, no change coming.
One positive is that at least Lamont can speak clearly and not make a fool out of himself like Malloy.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:59 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbme99 View Post
Lamont is just another talker. He is painting a nice picture but he won't change much of anything. This state has been destroyed by decades of poor leadership in Hartford. The Democrat controlled legislature controls all the money. Lamont is going to try and act like the good guy, who wants to compromise and change things. The reality is that he is a liberal democrat who will not bring any real change to Connecticut. Dannel Malloy and Ned Lamont = nothing new, no change coming.
One positive is that at least Lamont can speak clearly and not make a fool out of himself like Malloy.
Exactly. Get out of this state if you can. Fix up your home and sell it if your able and move on to greener pastures, which do exist. The Democrats will do nothing to upset their inner city power base, those that reliably elect them over and over. It’s a no win situation for anyone with a brain in their head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut