Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:59 AM

31 posts, read 21,494 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Would greatly appreciate any and all insight into the following towns listed below!!
My family and I moved to Fairfield, ct
a few years ago and here is our dilemma:
My husband is a school administrator and we make in the low six figures for a family of 4. I have
a master’s in an educational field as well but
have chosen to stay home until my youngest child
is a bit older. We rent a small home in Fairfield but the cost
is holding us back financially from purchasing a home sooner and we are considering a
move to a town with lower housing costs. We would
prefer a town with an excellent school district that is also
semi-down-to-earth and middle class vs. ultra wealthy(as we have encountered
some snootiness here in Fairfield that we would like to avoid in the future).
Towns we have considered are:
Monroe
Oxford
Trumbull
Orange
Cheshire
Stratford(have heard schools aren’t very well here)

Any insight into these towns would be greatly appreciated!!
Would love to know opinions on which have best schools and most down to earth communities

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 08:18 AM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Stratford schools are not terrible, but at that point you might as well consider Milford, which has better schools. I live there and love it. Very down to earth with a tight community vibe you don’t get in some of the towns you mentioned. Do you want a tight knit community with more to do and conveniences, or a more rural feel?

Here’s a nice video on living there: https://youtu.be/S349zmGDSOw

It’s not cheap per se, but lots of inexpensive modest homes and condos, as well as rentals.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:19 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Of those towns mentioned, Stratford is a bit of an outlier re: school quality and Cheshire is an outlier re: location.

Before anyone can recommend a community, you should disclose the area your husband will be working. I’d caution against disclosing his exact district, but a general area would be helpful.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:26 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,586 times
I agree with Stylo about Milford, right next door to Orange and Stratford, great town, with a Metro North Stop. Our son goes to public school here in Milford and we are happy with the schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Stratford schools are not terrible, but at that point you might as well consider Milford, which has better schools. I live there and love it. Very down to earth with a tight community vibe you don’t get in some of the towns you mentioned. Do you want a tight knit community with more to do and conveniences, or a more rural feel?

Here’s a nice video on living there: https://youtu.be/S349zmGDSOw

It’s not cheap per se, but lots of inexpensive modest homes and condos, as well as rentals.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:33 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
I would also suggest Milford. I understand this was not on your list mentioned above, but it fits all of your criteria. More reasonably priced homes, good schools, and overall much more of a middle-class town than Fairfield. Both towns are nice, but Milford is much more affordable by comparison and it's out of that Fairfield County glare. Plus the town has a beautiful downtown with a Metro North stop. If I ever had to move down the shore for work in the New Haven area, Milford would probably be the first town I would consider.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 AM

Thank you, all! I will look into Milford. Someone asked about job location-
husband works in an area that would be accessible
enough from towns listed.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:39 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madamj View Post
Thank you, all! I will look into Milford. Someone asked about job location-
husband works in an area that would be accessible
enough from towns listed.
Then Milford might be your best bet. If you want more rural with homes on larger lots, Monroe and Oxford are good. If your preference is a neighborhood with sidewalks closer to shopping, then Milford is good. Orange is sort of in-between, and would be my first choice of all the towns mentioned.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:00 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Do you want rural or walkable? Would the commute need to be on 95?

I'd do Oxford or Milford/Orange depending on family priorities and commute needs. Or even the Southford area of Southbury, which borders Oxford and has a fair amount of residential neighborhoods. Oxford/Southbury are great locations for families with small kids. I am sure Milford and Orange are too but I know less about the amenities there.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 AM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Do you want rural or walkable? Would the commute need to be on 95?

I'd do Oxford or Milford/Orange depending on family priorities and commute needs. Or even the Southford area of Southbury, which borders Oxford and has a fair amount of residential neighborhoods. Oxford/Southbury are great locations for families with small kids. I am sure Milford and Orange are too but I know less about the amenities there.
There are tons of events, amenities, and activities for kids in the Milford/Orange area. It is a benefit of being in a more populated area.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Thank you for all of the replies!! We would prefer
an area with closely accessible amenities but not necessarily walkable.
However, I think our #1 priority after schools and housing cost is
quality of people, now that I’m
Thinking about it, in terms of finding a friendly and accepting area with
Some level of socioeconomic diversity. Would also prefer a more liberal town vs
Very conservative (have heard that some of the mentioned communities
Such as Monroe tend to lean conservative).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut