Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No problem. With all the doom and gloom you see in the media about Connecticut, it is hard to believe what the real facts are. The market in Fairfield is about the same as last year which is good but not great. It is true those large secluded homes on large lots aren’t commanding the super high prices they once were. But that is due to changing tastes of buyers. I do kind of believe that may change when young buyers realize they aren’t walking to the places they thought they would and that they are kind of too close to their neighbors some of whom they don’t like. Will see. Jay
If you bought a house in Weston between 2003 and 2007, you are in really, really bad shape. Yes, doom and gloom. The "top rated" school district in CT is a bargain. And you don't have to go way out in the woods to get that bargain. It's kind of hard to comprehend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 05:18 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Talking to a realtor he said there is more inventory now vs last yr and thinks there is a 5-7yr correction coming again for lower Fairfield. I find that hard to believe with the way they just cut interest rates again and how low they are. We'll see I guess.

He said that prices came up in 2018 but has not been sustainable in 2019. Not good.

The market was in better shape last yr he said.

He thinks that once prices in New Canaan, Darien, Westport come down more (which have been already down the past three years), those people looking in other areas of Fairfield will be able to afford those "wealthy" towns on the higher ends, which will leave more property on market elsewhere..

Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Talking to a realtor he said there is more inventory now vs last yr and thinks there is a 5-7yr correction coming again for lower Fairfield. I find that hard to believe with the way they just cut interest rates again and how low they are. We'll see I guess.

He said that prices came up in 2018 but has not been sustainable in 2019. Not good.

The market was in better shape last yr he said.

He thinks that once prices in New Canaan, Darien, Westport come down more (which have been already down the past three years), those people looking in other areas of Fairfield will be able to afford those "wealthy" towns on the higher ends, which will leave more property on market elsewhere..
It's amazing that there are fairly decent homes available in New Canaan and Darien now in the 6's and 7's, and in the 5's in Westport. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. If we weren't leaving in 2023, I'd be very tempted to pull the trigger on something here in town.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:21 AM

786 posts, read 824,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
It's amazing that there are fairly decent homes available in New Canaan and Darien now in the 6's and 7's, and in the 5's in Westport. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. If we weren't leaving in 2023, I'd be very tempted to pull the trigger on something here in town.
What homes are decent in the 5s in WP? They're all tear downs.
NC is in a much worse situation.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
What homes are decent in the 5s in WP? They're all tear downs.
NC is in a much worse situation.
Let me get back when I have more time, but real quick, lovin' the modern style revamp one on Compo North Rd.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's the bullseye for McMansion. General generic/awful/templated architecture, and fake fancy.
I couldn't agree more. The recent years new construction with all those crazy roof lines, nooks and crannies, 7 or 8 doghouse dormers, garish trim that just collect moisture and need constant maintenance are falling out of favor. Today's newer construction is the white/grey modern simple clean lines.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:42 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. The recent years new construction with all those crazy roof lines, nooks and crannies, 7 or 8 doghouse dormers, garish trim that just collect moisture and need constant maintenance are falling out of favor. Today's newer construction is the white/grey modern simple clean lines.
You'd appreciate this:

https://mcmansionhell.com

Very funny.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:53 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
You'd appreciate this:

Very funny.
Scroll down to the section on McMansion architecture. Jay

Old 08-14-2019, 07:53 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Yup, and that will saturate the market at the lower prices. Not good. Also, there are signals of another recession coming (look at the yield inversion) but by the time it's considered a recession we'll have to be in one. Similar to being in a drought. Hard to say when until we are.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
You'd appreciate this:

Very funny.
Funny indeed
"Just one more gable, please", that killed me

much prefer this

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0-77783#photo1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut