Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,220 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

I am moving to Connecticut next month, and my work location will be Stamford, CT. I am looking for Indian communities to stay near Stamford with Budget of ~1500.

Due to high rents in Stamford CT, i am looking around Bridgeport / Milford cities. Could you please suggest me good Indian communities with budget ~1500.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 01:47 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
There aren’t really any communities that are exclusively Indian. You will find Indian families in many areas but they are mixed with people of other nationalities as well.

You do not indicate what you want or expect for your budget or if you have a spouse or children. You also don’t indicate the type of community you want to live in. Will you have a car? Bridgeport is closer to Stamford so I would suggest you start there. Downtown, Black Rock west of Ellsworth Street and the North End north of Capital and west of Main Street, would be best. Downtown is urban living with mass transit. It has denser development and high rise buildings. Black Rock is an urban village with less dense lower scale development. The North End is more suburban. It is personal preference which would suit you best. Jay

Old 04-26-2019, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There aren’t really any communities that are exclusively Indian. You will find Indian families in many areas but they are mixed with people of other nationalities as well.

You do not indicate what you want or expect for your budget or if you have a spouse or children. You also don’t indicate the type of community you want to live in. Will you have a car? Bridgeport is closer to Stamford so I would suggest you start there. Downtown, Black Rock west of Ellsworth Street and the North End north of Capital and west of Main Street, would be best. Downtown is urban living with mass transit. It has denser development and high rise buildings. Black Rock is an urban village with less dense lower scale development. The North End is more suburban. It is personal preference which would suit you best. Jay
Thank you Jay for you response. I have Spouse and one 3 years old kid, i have car. I am looking for Decent community to stay and will prefer where more Indian families will stay.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:47 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
If you can find a rental near downtown Milford, you’ll be near the train. It’s about a 45 minute express to Stamford. Longer than Bridgeport, but I find the station smaller and more manageable. An apartment in walking distance would be ideal so you don’t have to pay for parking and it would make the commute quick. It’s very safe. You can park near the library for free but it’s a bit of a walk. There’s a decent Indian population in Milford but don’t expect much.

Here’s some options walkable to train:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/B...96644936_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...94706599_zpid/
https://hotpads.com/146-high-st-milf...sm3zvv/210/pad

In Bridgeport, Black Rock is a pretty good option and puts you near Fairfield Metro station. Generally best to stay west of Ellsworth St.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:42 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
I remember there being a larger than normal Indian community in Shelton, I’m guessing due to the large amount of corporate jobs in the city. I don’t know for sure, but the OP may want to look into it.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I remember there being a larger than normal Indian community in Shelton, I’m guessing due to the large amount of corporate jobs in the city. I don’t know for sure, but the OP may want to look into it.
True, and it’s affordable. Can drive to Bridgeport or Fairfield Metro train station from there

Old 04-27-2019, 08:34 PM

89 posts, read 74,751 times
There are lot of Indian families in Robert treat apartments in Milford. Also, the rents are considerably cheaper.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy_milford View Post
There are lot of Indian families in Robert treat apartments in Milford. Also, the rents are considerably cheaper.
That's the one I couldn't remember. But I had heard the same about it being popular with Indian families. It's a short drive/walk to the train station too.

Windsor Properties - Residential and Commercial Since 1969

Old 04-28-2019, 06:59 AM

4,460 posts, read 3,354,951 times
This link shows where there is the highest concentration of Indians (Asia) in near Stamford. Stamford has the most but of course that is too expensive.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Here is another option. Danbury is a city and Bethel borders it. Between the two you would have a larger % of an Indian population than even Bridgeport. Bethel has good schools too. If you are in Milford you would be farther from the two larger cities of Bridgeport and New Haven that would have Indian communities.

If you google Indian restaurants in CT you can see the largest concentrations are in the New Haven and Danbury (and lots in Hartford but of course that is too far).

Last edited by Yac; 05-06-2019 at 03:58 AM..

Old 04-28-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
This link shows where there is the highest concentration of Indians (Asia) in near Stamford. Stamford has the most but of course that is too expensive.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Here is another option. Danbury is a city and Bethel borders it. Between the two you would have a larger % of an Indian population than even Bridgeport. Bethel has good schools too. If you are in Milford you would be farther from the two larger cities of Bridgeport and New Haven that would have Indian communities.

If you google Indian restaurants in CT you can see the largest concentrations are in the New Haven and Danbury (and lots in Hartford but of course that is too far).
I wouldn't recommend Danbury for a Stamford commute. The train is long and infrequent and often requires a connection in South Norwalk (and old, uncomfortable trains), and the drive would be full of traffic and be especially miserable in winter on Route 7. Commuting via the New Haven line is definitely preferred.

If the OP's work isn't accessible by train and/or a train+shuttle, then they seriously have to rethink their location.

Also, not sure that's true about Indian restaurants or what that means about Indian population. I used to frequent Kolam in Newtown and it was more white people than anything.

They are all over the place. There's 5-6 in the Danbury area (3 of which are very new, it used to be much harder to find decent Indian there), 5-6 in the Milford area. Of course New Haven has a lot because it's a huge foodie hub in general. Coromandel is my favorite (and House of Naan in New Haven) and they have locations in Stamford, Darien, Southport, Orange, and Newtown (Kolam). The location where the most Indian families frequent? Orange.

Last edited by Yac; 05-06-2019 at 03:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut