Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:16 PM

23 posts, read 57,850 times

Advertisements

I currently work for a aerospace company in engineering in a senior level technical position. I am married with no kids and live in a single family home in Wichita, KS. I might get a job offer in Connecticut in a company at East Hartford. So I will have to live in the vicinity. I can expect to get at the most a 26% raise from my current job. My standard of living is fairly comfortable in Wichita, but not lavish. I earn in the low 100k which is pretty decent for my style of living. The new job is also very technical, somewhat better than my current one (albeit not a day and night difference) with more challenges, so I am thinking about it. However, I do not want to degrade my style of living. Do you think with the new compensation, it is even worth considering a move? I would like to buy a single family home with close commute to East Hartford.

Please advise. I am the lone earning member of the family so we would have to rely on my income only at least in the short to mid term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 07:56 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Before making such a decision I'd look at the long term prospects for each position. Which position offers the most job security?

From a personal standpoint I'd say it is a no brainer and yes, I'd take Hartford over Wichita any day. You'd be taking a couple of steps up the ladder and moving to a region with a higher standard of living. At the start, if you are simply renting you will be able to find a very good apartment on that wage, or if you choose, a good home in a desirable suburb or in the city itself. And when you are ready to buy a home you should be able to find something fairly decent in a good community. Some of the real estate agents that read this board can probably better steer you into the right community by determining how much house you can afford on that wage.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:25 AM

639 posts, read 2,711,626 times
You are having a hard time deciding between Wichita and Hartford? Serious? I have never been to Wichita, but I can't imagine it has anything over the Hartford region. Do the move, you won't regret it.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,925 times
Just a quick comparison between CT and the rest of the world. I have lived here 58 years and worked as a C.P.A. and am retired now and must get out prior to drowning in debt. A friend moved from Chicago to get herself and her husband a job here both getting a raise of 100% and after a few months realized what a great mistake they did.

To quote her, I have less leftover at the end of the month here than in Chicago.
They both quit and moved back. We are about the third or second highest cost of living State in the Union. See if you can do some reviews of the cost of living and not what an increase in salary would be. No company can get anyone to move here because of the outrageous cost of living, regardless of any salary offered. This state has been in decline for 20 years, with costs rising as fast. Then many jobs are just a try out and they claim that it is a real position and that must be considered, as I have seen others be tempted to move and end up having the job for about a few months, then boom. It takes alot of cash to get another job here or elsewheres. Another got a superb, or so it seemed, job here, and a great relocation perks including a new home all paid for. Then, didn't get along with one of the bosses friends and now had no job and two mortgages to pay as they wanted the money or home back. Many tempting offers, but some have secret reasonings. Be carefull my friend, if you are living comfortably there, as here many things change quickly and not only the horrible weather.
Life is a risk, but some are to risky and it is a very hard decision because it is almost imposible to get the truth from a perspective employer. I am sure you are aware of that fact and only am trying to help you get a slighly better view of this State as I know it.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 AM

246 posts, read 873,359 times
You can definitely make a good living with a salary in the mid 100's in the Hartford area. If you plan on having kids, consider living in the suburbs with excellent schools - Glastonbury, West Hartford, Avon and Simsbury. You can get more house for your money in towns like Vernon, Tolland and South Windsor, all with great schools.

You'll be halfway between NYC and Boston. I agree that you won't regret the move.

Last edited by kidyankee784; 04-14-2008 at 12:46 AM..

Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 AM

246 posts, read 873,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmjg12 View Post
Just a quick comparison between CT and the rest of the world. I have lived here 58 years and worked as a C.P.A. and am retired now and must get out prior to drowning in debt. A friend moved from Chicago to get herself and her husband a job here both getting a raise of 100% and after a few months realized what a great mistake they did.

To quote her, I have less leftover at the end of the month here than in Chicago.
They both quit and moved back. We are about the third or second highest cost of living State in the Union. See if you can do some reviews of the cost of living and not what an increase in salary would be. No company can get anyone to move here because of the outrageous cost of living, regardless of any salary offered. This state has been in decline for 20 years, with costs rising as fast. Then many jobs are just a try out and they claim that it is a real position and that must be considered, as I have seen others be tempted to move and end up having the job for about a few months, then boom. It takes alot of cash to get another job here or elsewheres. Another got a superb, or so it seemed, job here, and a great relocation perks including a new home all paid for. Then, didn't get along with one of the bosses friends and now had no job and two mortgages to pay as they wanted the money or home back. Many tempting offers, but some have secret reasonings. Be carefull my friend, if you are living comfortably there, as here many things change quickly and not only the horrible weather.
Life is a risk, but some are to risky and it is a very hard decision because it is almost imposible to get the truth from a perspective employer. I am sure you are aware of that fact and only am trying to help you get a slighly better view of this State as I know it.
I disagree that CT is in decline. Are you basing your comments on recent studies showing that we're losing college graduates? If so, we're also gaining a large amount of young urban professionals working for one of the many large corporations and fortune 500 companies we have in this state. Remember, CT is not shrinking - we're just growing at a slower pace than the rest of the nation. Thank God for that - who wants cookie-cutter subdivisions with HOAs and 5 lane highways? Here in CT, they're playing it smart. Strict zoning and local opposition are what has helped CT retain it's New England flavor.

Yes, CT is expensive...taxes are high, real estate is pricey, but you do get what you pay for here. I believe CT has a lot more going for it than KS, especially if the OP is planning on having children anytime soon.

On the OPs salary of the mid 100s, she can afford a decent home in an upper-middle class town with great schools.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:09 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Connecticut is hardly on the decline- and in fact in the current economic recession, while we are still affected, will be hurt far less then many other regions of the nation.

The state was hit hard from 1989-1992- during that economic recession, which saw the loss of nearly 160,000 jobs in manufacturing, real estate, finance, and Insurance. Connecticut's economy today is far more diversified and is doing well.

Connecticut has the 4th best quality of life compared to others states of the nation, as by Forbes magazine 2006. It is also considered the 11th safest state.

There is close proximity to beaches and the ocean, mountains, and two world class cities, Boston & New York, 100 & 120 miles away respectively from Hartford.

There are charming historic towns, fine state parks, history, locally brewed beers, wineries, much culture (Hartford ranks as the 26th best metro area for visual and performing arts in the USA and Canada.

Connecticut ranks as the state with the highest per capita income, as well as the wealthiest state-not bad for a state in 'decline'.

Hartford is blessed with some of the most attractive and affluent suburbs in the nation (West Hartford, Glastonbury, Avon, Simsbury, South Windsor) Plus the city of Hartford compared to 1989 is much different- with new parks, a reviving city center, a New Science center and more.

Housing prices in greater Hartford are most reasonable for its location and quality of life-under 260K. A 100K salary would be very easy here to live on. A nice new home here in eastern CT-20 miles from Hartford 2000 square feet on 1 acre can be had for 299K-

The region has a shortage of technical personnel in aerospace and manufacturing. One visit to this area should easily convince you-this is a very nice area to live. A well kept secret- that the above poster has stated, which has prevented us from becoming a region of cookie cutter sprawl with duplicate housing subdivisions and commercial chain stores of infinite blandness and boring conformity.

Last edited by skytrekker; 04-14-2008 at 06:07 AM..

Old 04-14-2008, 05:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
You need to do some serious research on housing costs-I think that will be the biggest variable to consider. I don't know the housing costs in Wichita, you should research the kind of house you have (or would expect to raise your family in) in Wichita vs. the same sort of house here. Property taxes are quite high, so you have to take that into consideration.

A few posters above mentioned some very nice suburbs-be aware that homes there may cost much more than the 'averages' they also mention. But, depending on what is comfortable for you, you might could find something.

I think you should make a trip here and maybe go around with a realtor. CT is, indeed, close to many neat places-NYC, Boston, beaches, ect-and is quite pretty. In my experience, housing costs are the biggest variable. If you have that under control, it might work out.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:39 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
The median home price for metro Hartford CT last quarter of 2007 was $258,000
Wichita Ks was $113,000 according to the National Association of Realtors

Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 AM

625 posts, read 2,050,916 times
Couple of things to consider here, the actual job and the economic feasibility of living in the Hartford area on one salary.

I used to work at Pratt and can tell you that the benefits and job opportunities you have access to once you're in are top notch. If you do well, you'll put yourself on a good track to move around within Pratt, but potentially other divisions within UTC that are also in the area (Hamilton, Sikorsky, Research Center, Corporate, etc.). So if you like job flexibility and the opportunity to try new things, it's a great benefit. Their healthcare package is fine, they'll pay for any college classes towards a degree that you want (work related or not), and the people that work there are really just good people. I left the company because I wanted a complete career change, but I am still tied in closely with friends and colleagues that still work there. DM me if you'd like me to try and put you in touch with some people that currently work there to get a few different viewpoints.

As far as the economic feasibility of living here with your salary, it is completely doable. If your salary is $100K+, and there are only 2 of you, you can comfortably find a house either east or west of the CT river that should work. I don't know much about the Wichita housing market, but I'll assume that you'll get newer construction at a lower price there than you would here. That being said, there will be many options available, all within an easy commuting distance to East Hartford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut