Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 01:43 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times

Advertisements

I guess you could tie up your politicians with hoarded plastic bags, and change things for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 02:09 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don’t disagree on the environmental impact (don’t know enough about it to comment), but at face value, it’s a tax that’s going into the pocket of the state of CT - an already extremely highly taxed state. If property taxes were reasonable, and there was no car tax, or the overall quality of life fit my needs making the cost worth it, then it could be justified. But to simply say “Don’t like it? Don’t buy it” loses sight of the fact that this is something *everyone* uses/d and affects every last citizen in the state. It’s very different than sin taxing soda, ice cream, or booze. It’s forcing everyone to change their habits, or pay. That’s not okay with me.
I guess all we can do is agree to disagree.

DW came home from Stop & Shop today with her reusable cloth bags stuffed. The meats were in a plastic bag inside her cloth bag. Guess they do that so they won't leak into the bag. She checked and she was not charged for the bag. Again no big deal. It just takes getting use to. Jay

Old 08-06-2019, 03:10 PM

898 posts, read 598,272 times
In the parking lot of New Britain stop &shop. Totally out of reusable bags and the paper ones are small and tear before you put anything in them. Thanks democraps

Old 08-06-2019, 04:17 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Meh, went on amazon and grabbed two sets of 6 bags that come with their own individual pouches with carabiners and 6 fit into a larger bag for easy storage and carrying. Not much more than a minor inconvenience and I joked last week with people to be sure they got their reusable bags. Even the paper ads are offering buy a bag get a bag etc. but I did nto want some big logo frilly design. Simple, black, sturdy (holds 50# each), washable, done.

Moving on, there are bigger issues afoot like spending 15mil on new signs for the parkway smh.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or you can buy a 1,000 plastic bags here for $18. That should last at least 10 years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Shirt-Tha...3c48%7Ciid%3A1

Now imagine if people got this worked up about something that really matters like education. The results would be astonishing.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:07 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
In the parking lot of New Britain stop &shop. Totally out of reusable bags and the paper ones are small and tear before you put anything in them. Thanks democraps
That's too bad! We have normal sized paper bags in Glastonbury.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:41 AM

60 posts, read 54,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The meats were in a plastic bag inside her cloth bag. Guess they do that so they won't leak into the bag. She checked and she was not charged for the bag. Jay
She should not have been charged.According to the Department of Revenue Services:
Question 5: What is not considered to be a “single-use checkout bag”?
Answer: A “single-use checkout bag” does not include:
 Paper bags;
 Reusable (four mils or thicker) plastic bags;
Thin plastic bags on a continuous, perforated roll that are used to contain meat,
seafood, loose produce or other unwrapped food items
;
 Newspaper bags; or
 Laundry or dry cleaning bags

Old 08-07-2019, 06:11 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Quick question, if you do the shop from home via app for these stores then how does it work. Are you automatically charged for the bags or do they bring you the food in crates then unload at your house? I know Stop n Shop has the pickup as many others do where you can go to the bin and get your groceries, how will all of that go down?

Old 08-07-2019, 06:39 AM

487 posts, read 537,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Now imagine if people got this worked up about something that really matters like education. The results would be astonishing.
Really is amazing. All over plastic bags.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:51 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Really is amazing. All over plastic bags.
It’s really not as simple as that. As stated previously in the thread, the uproar is over an additional tax, that affects everyone, in an already tax exhausted state. The uproar really has nothing to do with plastic bags.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:37 AM

487 posts, read 537,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It’s really not as simple as that. As stated previously in the thread, the uproar is over an additional tax, that affects everyone, in an already tax exhausted state. The uproar really has nothing to do with plastic bags.
It affects those that chose to use the supplied bags - not everyone. I have yet been charged the bag tax and honestly wouldn't notice an extra dollar charge on a weekly grocery trip.

But, from a collectively holistic perspective I get the gripe of another tax being introduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut