Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2019, 10:53 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I assume paper bags cost more than the cheap plastic ones stores have been using in more recent years? It's always been difficult to find paper bags in Shop Rite and Stop & Shop, self checkouts never have them and not all the regular lanes seem to either.

So I'm guessing the stores figured that if plastic was banned, everyone would take more paper bags and it would affect their bottom line, so they started charging for them. That's a deterrent as well.
Many grocers and retailers (Trader Joe, Whole Foods, Clothing retailers, even some Stop & Shops) were using ONLY PAPER bags BEFORE the plastic ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 11:01 AM

570 posts, read 477,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
The cash grab is by the state. They forced businesses to charge 10 cents per bag as a tax to be paid to the state. Plastic bags are much cheaper than paper.
I am talking about businesses charging for paper bags and resusable. What they are doing in a business cash grab..From my understanding, single use plastic gets 10 cent per state mandate. What Target is doing is straight up robbery.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:03 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
Again, it is NOT a cash grab by the state.
Its a method to reduce usage of plastic bags. Making money from it is a side benefit.
It is absolutely the state seeing dollar signs coupled with the environmental benefit. If it weren’t a cash grab, they would’ve done what California did - ban them altogether.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:14 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It is absolutely the state seeing dollar signs coupled with the environmental benefit. If it weren’t a cash grab, they would’ve done what California did - ban them altogether.
Right on, ban them altogether and continue business as usual with paper pre-ban

Old 11-20-2019, 01:06 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Right on, ban them altogether and continue business as usual with paper pre-ban
Yep. And that’s something I’d much prefer.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:19 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Many grocers and retailers (Trader Joe, Whole Foods, Clothing retailers, even some Stop & Shops) were using ONLY PAPER bags BEFORE the plastic ban.
I said that upthread. Except for S&S - it's been like pulling teeth to get paper from the ones around me for years.

Even the grocery stores that did paper or plastic were doing them for free.

Of course it's a money grab. (to whoever still thinks it isn't)

I stopped in TJ's today - wow they have $7 bags?! Their $1 one looks pretty cheesy. I didn't see any plastic bags at the checkout, but I didn't ask either.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:49 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
I am talking about businesses charging for paper bags and resusable. What they are doing in a business cash grab..From my understanding, single use plastic gets 10 cent per state mandate. What Target is doing is straight up robbery.
Some businesses that were plastic before have transitioned to paper to avoid the tax. Keep in mind there is no accurate way to assess the bag usage accurately like the state requires. You don't want to get audited by DRS for improper filing. Realize as business owners we are unpaid tax collector's! I'm a day late paying the state say $1,500, they will fine me say $750! Plus interest at 18%.

Let that sink in. Other states let you keep some of the collection for your troubles....not CT.....I know your all shocked!

So now paper bags cost 5 times as much as plastic, plus take up more space to store. So they are adding on the cost. Don't like it well...you know where this started right....

Have some who always only used paper, now charging a dime or so. Sure! Keep in mind too. Minimum wage just went up to $11 around the same time as the plastic bag tax......see a connection here..... Yep state of CT raises costs to business it gets passed on to the consumer. Of course you can read Vox, and other liberal media who tells you there is no downside to rising min wage and taxes, but we like to call it.....
Keeping it real!

Old 11-20-2019, 09:20 PM

205 posts, read 162,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Some businesses that were plastic before have transitioned to paper to avoid the tax. Keep in mind there is no accurate way to assess the bag usage accurately like the state requires. You don't want to get audited by DRS for improper filing. Realize as business owners we are unpaid tax collector's! I'm a day late paying the state say $1,500, they will fine me say $750! Plus interest at 18%.

Let that sink in. Other states let you keep some of the collection for your troubles....not CT.....I know your all shocked!

So now paper bags cost 5 times as much as plastic, plus take up more space to store. So they are adding on the cost. Don't like it well...you know where this started right....

Have some who always only used paper, now charging a dime or so. Sure! Keep in mind too. Minimum wage just went up to $11 around the same time as the plastic bag tax......see a connection here..... Yep state of CT raises costs to business it gets passed on to the consumer. Of course you can read Vox, and other liberal media who tells you there is no downside to rising min wage and taxes, but we like to call it.....
Keeping it real!
Just like truck only tolls will be passed along to the consumer in the form of higher prices to reimburse the added costs. But I digress. At least TJ's doesn't charge for paper bags.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:27 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
All stores were using paper bags before plastic bags became common, for many good reasons. Them being cheaper and more durable, to name just two. Trader Joe's was no exception.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:35 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I have two and a half Sections of land with trees .My property quota of pine[paper ]has gone up 2%.
Congrats. It should go up a lot more, now that the tree huggers have all become tree haters, and want to cut them all down to protect us from the evils of plastic bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut